Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,563,820 times

Advertisements

At one time there was a thread about single women who had to retire on a literal shoestring, and the posters offered information about their particular journeys, tips on saving money, etc. Does anyone know where that thread is now, or if it has been closed, etc.?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,594,957 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ort-group.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ring-saga.html

Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,563,820 times
Thank you so much!

Old 01-07-2022, 05:23 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,439,312 times
Well I thought there was a newer thread on this but even those 2 linked above (though very good I am sure) are not what I was envisioning.
I was reading something which prompted me to look into Wickenburg Az. Actually this place has come up a few times in the past few months and I decided, because it's a snow day and no hurries here, to look up real estate there.
It looks lovely but what really got my attention was at least 2 listings in the first page of listings that was for very modest but relatively new small homes. It's not at all for me, but for someone looking for a change and a very modest budget, I think it's worth looking here.
Most of the homestock is much higher priced ( like from $200-900K) but here were 2 homes that are I guess similar to a trailer but way more homey and attractive-----and---------ready for it??? Under $30K.

I have no prior knowledge of this and for sure I am not connected but I thought this looked like something that would be of interest.

I think we are not allowed to link to specific listings, but here is just a search that maybe will come through.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../Wickenburg_AZ

Old 01-07-2022, 05:45 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,507,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I thought there was a newer thread on this but even those 2 linked above (though very good I am sure) are not what I was envisioning.
I was reading something which prompted me to look into Wickenburg Az. Actually this place has come up a few times in the past few months and I decided, because it's a snow day and no hurries here, to look up real estate there.
It looks lovely but what really got my attention was at least 2 listings in the first page of listings that was for very modest but relatively new small homes. It's not at all for me, but for someone looking for a change and a very modest budget, I think it's worth looking here.
Most of the homestock is much higher priced ( like from $200-900K) but here were 2 homes that are I guess similar to a trailer but way more homey and attractive-----and---------ready for it??? Under $30K.

I have no prior knowledge of this and for sure I am not connected but I thought this looked like something that would be of interest.

I think we are not allowed to link to specific listings, but here is just a search that maybe will come through.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../Wickenburg_AZ
Yes, I looked, those both ARE mobile homes, aka trailers.

I've lived in one for many years before we bought our 750sf "starter home".

We had trouble in the bitter cold winter months, and I know some higher elevations down there experience cold/snow.

I also wonder if high heat can be as much a problem as bitter cold in a trailer.

I know love Ng long ago I had a coworker who moved here (NY) from AZ, always freezing here herself, and we're getting desperate to sell their trailer in AZ, needing the money.
She said the biggest deterrent to people buying it was the electric bill, and she said "we kept the AC at 85°".
I was a bit shocked, and said AC at 85°!!?? (Shocked).
She said "well yes, when it's 110° outside, 85° feels pretty good!"

The rest of the homes are way out of our budget, at least for now.

Best

Old 01-07-2022, 05:47 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,507,479 times
I also think this should be a new thread, for maybe new ideas as costs are rising drastically in some cases now.

Let's see how we, who have smaller budgets deal with the rising costs...

So what are YOUR shoestrings like?

Best

Old 01-07-2022, 11:55 AM

7,204 posts, read 4,601,558 times
You can get your car insurance lower by telling them you are retired and drive less than 5k miles per year. For those on the west coast grocery shopping at Winco is the cheapest even being cheaper than Walmart plus the food is much better. I shop around every few years for deals on home and car insurance. I switched to T-Mobile’s prepaid plan for 15/month.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:33 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
You can get your car insurance lower by telling them you are retired and drive less than 5k miles per year. For those on the west coast grocery shopping at Winco is the cheapest even being cheaper than Walmart plus the food is much better. I shop around every few years for deals on home and car insurance. I switched to T-Mobile’s prepaid plan for 15/month.
Will they check to see if we are lying? (And how could they anyway?)

Old 01-07-2022, 03:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,202,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Will they check to see if we are lying? (And how could they anyway?)
My rate went down these last two years when I informed the insurance company that I was working from home 100%. I get an email each year asking me to log into my account and enter my odometer reading, so they can track how many miles I've driven in a year. They have never asked for proof or taken action to verify my input. But like you, I don't see how they could do this, but I'm sure they'd find a way if they wanted to. And maybe different companies handle this in different ways?

But if you're being honest, you have nothing to fear.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:40 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,447,125 times
I think if you made a claim, the actual reading would be part, and they could tell how much you've been driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement