Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 11:57 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times

Advertisements

Plus if the land is valuable they will sell it. Then you have to pay to move your trailer if there’s anywhere else to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 03:31 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
When I moved from the city down here to a rural county - insurance dropped in half!

Even though I was actually driving more due to the commute to work. But guess it was not safe in the big city. And yep my car did get stolen once out there.
FWIW, our insurance dropped from $2700 a year down to $820 a year when we moved from metro Denver to rural Wisconsin. I couldn't believe it!

And although our utilities, including one cellphone and one landline phone, increased from about $375 a month to about $460 a month, we still are saving money -- almost $900 a year or almost $75 a month.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:01 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's an old, 600 ft trailer on a 1200 sq ft lot. While it is cuter inside than I feared, it was built in 1969.

I would caution anyone buying in a mobile home park. They are being bought up by corporations who are jacking up the fees, and not much you can do about it.
Exactly.

But now there are resident-owned mobile home parks, where every resident has a stake and the park can't be sold out from under them. Here are some in Arizona:

https://www.mhvillage.com/blog/seven...ks-in-arizona/

Old 01-11-2022, 04:46 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Exactly.

But now there are resident-owned mobile home parks, where every resident has a stake and the park can't be sold out from under them. Here are some in Arizona:

That's smart. If I had to buy a mobile home, I would only do one of those situations.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-11-2022, 05:01 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
It's an old, 600 ft trailer on a 1200 sq ft lot. While it is cuter inside than I feared, it was built in 1969.

I would caution anyone buying in a mobile home park. They are being bought up by corporations who are jacking up the fees, and not much you can do about it.
That actually happened, wow...25-30 years ago in Oregon. Outskirts of Hillsboro, OR. Nice mobile he park bought out, space rent doubled in 3 months, courts fight went on and on. Just made me always steer clear of HOA and mobile home parks.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:13 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
That's smart. If I had to buy a mobile home, I would only do one of those situations.
The other situation is a mobile on it's own land.

When they were alive, my parents had a great second home- a newer mobile on a couple of acres in the mountains of Arizona. We used to meet them up there in the summer time for family gatherings/fishing expeditions for a few years. It worked out very well. It was well kept-up, and a great place to go for vacations. When they sold it, they made a decent profit. Funny, people say "only the land appreciates...", but when you clear ~90K on a property when you sell, frankly, who cares what appreciated- at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. They got out of it what they wanted, and we as a family had a nice clean place to gather for years. The people that bought it got a like-new house to move into when they bought it. That changed my thinking about them big time. Years later, I was in a contract in Tucson Arizona, and the cost of hotels was, frankly, stupid. I bought a second house when I was there during the contract; it was a mobile. Clean when we bought, but we upgraded it and we made $$ when we sold. People love to put them down, but from my standpoint, all these people think about are 50 year old mobiles falling apart from neglect. Really, they have never had experience with decent ones, and are clueless as to what can be done with them.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:21 PM

There's a subdivision in our general area that is all modular homes, which seems like one step up from a mobile home.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:52 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
There's a subdivision in our general area that is all modular homes, which seems like one step up from a mobile home.
They are, but more than one step due to the differences in IRC vs HUD building codes. We put up a modular in 2019 on our 10 acres up here in northern Michigan. By trade I was an engineer, so I question our major purchases. We haven't been disappointed; this is our 7th house, first modular. Outside last night, the wind was blowing and it was -8F. The furnace kicked on three times in 4 hours to keep it at 66F inside. Not bad; sometimes we open the front door to let in fresh air. In retrospect, we wouldn't change a thing.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
They are, but more than one step due to the differences in IRC vs HUD building codes. We put up a modular in 2019 on our 10 acres up here in northern Michigan. By trade I was an engineer, so I question our major purchases. We haven't been disappointed; this is our 7th house, first modular. Outside last night, the wind was blowing and it was -8F. The furnace kicked on three times in 4 hours to keep it at 66F inside. Not bad; sometimes we open the front door to let in fresh air. In retrospect, we wouldn't change a thing.
You lost me at -8.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,739 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Here is a resource with a directory of ROC's (not an exclusive list, as we have one nearby that was formed in 1978. It's not on the list.)

https://rocusa.org/meet-the-communities/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement