Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:23 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times

Advertisements

Except for Costa Rica (which isn't that cheap), Central America is too dicey for my tastes. I think there's some decent areas of Mexico which would be acceptable to retire. I personally prefer Peru and Chile having worked in Peru for over a year...yes you can live cheap and pretty nice in Peru. Chile is a little more expensive but still not bad and you can enjoy a nice lifestyle there.

I've worked most of the last 15 years in a variety of countries (now in Kuwait) and if I were single, I would seriously consider experiencing at least a few years in other countries. Wife has been to some of my assignments but just wants to stay close to our kids and grandkids in Seattle....I retire in 5 weeks and trying to talk the wife into maybe just spending our winter in Suda America either Peru or Chile for the adventure, better climate and improve our Spanish abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:38 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Default he is funny but what a cheapo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Andy Graham has lived overseas for almost 20 years in various locals. His videos and web site offer a wealth of information about this topic. https://www.youtube.com/user/HoboTraveler/videos

Everybody should watch his videos, if yu're an expat retired on SS , they are tailored for you! e clever guy that hobotraveler, but boy does he lives on the cheap! (and I 'm no wealthy person either and rather stingy, but still..)

Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Mississippi!?!?!?!?!? Jeezy peezy, anywhere in Latin America is better than Mississippi
Reason I picked it as an example.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
Thanks. It was very interesting. I find it a shame that retired ppl without a lot of money feel the need to move to a different country to be able to live on the money they have. Too bad the US doesn't take care of it's own.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:43 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
USC has published a study recently that USA ranks number 3 in retirement. Only behind Norway and Sweden, despite income inequality. And those 2 are small countries. I'll see if I can find the link.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:16 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks. It was very interesting. I find it a shame that retired ppl without a lot of money feel the need to move to a different country to be able to live on the money they have. Too bad the US doesn't take care of it's own.
We have been smart, blessed and lucky in life. We can afford to live anywhere in the US,including Hawaii and CA. We CHOOSE to live in Mexico. Most expats I know are probably in the upper 10% of wealth in the US.

It's more about wanting an adventure, wanting to live in a non-US culture, wanting a better climate. The fact that it is less expense is gravy.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:56 PM

California is a big state.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:40 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,734 times
Climate wise you want to stay in the intertropic zone between Arequippa,Peru and Nicaragua. Personally, I would go no further north than Panama. Here in Lima it is the dead of winter and the low will be 59 degrees and high 66. In the height of Summer the high might be 84 degrees. With less than 1 inch of rain a year, you never have to worry about your picnic, although they still might pee on your parade!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Having lived most of my adult life in a tropical country, and was able to retire there since I owned homes in both countries, splitting the time between the US and that country, I decided the US had so much more to offer a retiree. I guess when one has first-hand experience about life in a particular country, it's limitations with healthcare, safety etc, it does help to make a more informed decision. I am fortunate to also know the Latin American and Caribbean region, am bilingual and culturally proficient to be at home in many cultures and countries. For me, the US meets most of my checks on a list of COL, safety, developed societal infrastructure, climatic variations, etc. So, it works for me. We all have to find what works for each of us!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We have been smart, blessed and lucky in life. We can afford to live anywhere in the US,including Hawaii and CA. We CHOOSE to live in Mexico. Most expats I know are probably in the upper 10% of wealth in the US.

It's more about wanting an adventure, wanting to live in a non-US culture, wanting a better climate. The fact that it is less expense is gravy.
It's an adventure alright. We vacationed there in Cancun in the early 90s and have not been back since.
Just post this link that I saw on CNBC today. It's not even a safe place for tourists.

A crime wave in Cancun is threatening the tourist mecca https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/canc...ist-mecca.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement