Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:45 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
again , not all married people or couples have children and a safety net . ...
That's an important point. Long-range planning, and so many lifestyle and financial decisions, differ more between those who become parents and those who remain child-free, than between those who are married and those who are single. To rephrase, parents much budget for the rearing of their children, perhaps consider inheritance issues, and then - possibly! - regard their adult children as a support-network (at least socially) in their old-age. The child-free, on the other hand, don't have those budgetary demands in young-adulthood and middle-age, but also don't have a kin-group with whom to socialize and commiserate and have a cup of tea, in old age.

The OP lamented the paucity of actionable financial advice for unmarried people. Note also the lack of such advice for the child-free, as nearly all financial planning deals with the compact between generations, with family budgets and so forth.

This hearkens back to my point about ambiguity and genericism of advice. If I don't have children, should I use that advantage to save extra money, relative to those of my peers, who are parents? Or should I instead splurge? Does lack of children now, mean lack of demand on my savings by a "failure to launch" generation of stunted young-adults, thus simplifying my retirement? Or on the contrary, does that mean that I won't be able to move in with the kiddos, once I'm feeble and sessile and senile? We really can't say. And thus it's hard to be specific about optimal strategies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement