Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
How much tax could be owed on $13,000? Me thinks thou art straining at a gnat.
You are right. I have sold the holdings and will move the account to a taxed account that will be distributed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
.................There should be a beneficiary named on the IRA account. That is who gets the IRA money. ....................
The beneficiaries are NOT part of the estate. Whoever is named on the IRA account gets the money. This is pretty important, the executor for the estate needs to follow the law.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:37 PM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The beneficiaries are NOT part of the estate. Whoever is named on the IRA account gets the money. This is pretty important, the executor for the estate needs to follow the law.
only exception to the beneficiary is the death of the beneficiary. If the named individual(s) are not alive the estate gets it and it goes through probate.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Turns out the brokerage will not allow movement of the IRA to the TOD account after date of death. Therefore six 'Inherited IRA' accounts must be established to follow IRS regs. Each will require immediate taxable RMD withdrawals. A lot of trouble for a small amount of funds.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
So each beneficiary will pay tax on $2100 IF they take the entire amount out. But if they follow the RMD rules, each person's RMD amount per year will be based on his/her age, and the tax on that will be next to nothing.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
This

For $13K, it hardly matters but for a big IRA, the usual thing is to put the beneficiary on a distribution schedule so they don't get crushed with a 1-time tax bill. It's similar to the required minimum distribution schedule retirees have to use at age 70 1/2 but adjusted for the actuarial tables for a younger aged beneficiary.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b/ch01.html As borninsac stated divided by 6 it is peanuts. I believe each of the 6 of you claim it on your income tax as distribution. Here is a Charles Schwab pamphlet on it https://www.schwab.com/public/file/P-1625576/

FYI, whoever is holding the IRA should be able to help you set things up. It's not much money divided by 6 so not a biggy but if it were a large amount I believe you can put it into an inherited IRA but then must take the distributions according to RMD rules. For large amounts this could spread the tax burden (and tax bracket one might fall in) out.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Turns out the brokerage will not allow movement of the IRA to the TOD account after date of death. Therefore six 'Inherited IRA' accounts must be established to follow IRS regs. Each will require immediate taxable RMD withdrawals. A lot of trouble for a small amount of funds.
Make sure to ask the brokerage how much they are charging to set up these accounts. By the time they take out their charges on the original account and make the minimum distribution, there will be even less money left. Once they set up the new accounts they will take out the brokerage charge AGAIN for the same money in each of the new accounts, and possible charge for setting up the accounts.

When I did this for my mom's account and my dad's account, each being divided into 4 different accounts, the brokerage agreed to waive the charges for the new accounts for the first year, and any costs associated with setting up the accounts. AND for those folks who were cashing out the accounts, he kept the funds as money, that is, no trading costs were incurred for the buying or selling of stock or whatever.

Ask so that the brokerage does not end up with all the money

Old 08-17-2017, 06:48 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
So, for an inherited IRA, the brokerage can't just write checks to the named beneficiaries, withhold the taxes, and let this be simple??

Also did the OP confirm that there are SIX beneficiaries actually on the IRA? (Or six heirs, and no IRA beneficiaries).

I thought those named on the IRA just get the money.....and it can be a more direct process, like life insurance. Not the same kind of vehicle but I thought the IRA process could be simple: Beneficiary gets the money, after taxes withheld. Done. Appropriate forms filed at tax time later, of course. But I thought getting the money was simpler.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 AM

The account is at Fidelity and there is no charge for the process.

The procedure is that distribution of funds is to Fidelity accounts so each of the six beneficiaries must have two accounts, one for non-retirement funds, and one for IRA.

This is as easy a process can be and still be secure and follow IRS regs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement