Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermex View Post
Change is what she wants. This conversation will either make the decision to move self evident or the relationship will change for he better.
How would that conversation change a relationship for the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 AM

11,112 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
My son and his wife seem to want us to move nearby and be a part of our 1 year old granddaughters life and we plan on moving soon as my husband retires but we are very aware that we need to create an active social life. The worst thing that can happen is for you to depend on them to fill a hole where your social life was.
"Be a part of granddaughter's life" might be code for "be our free babysitter", but that might be okay with you, so do what makes YOU happy. You will be in their life, but they also have a whole life without you, so you will need to find your own social circle there and you may not see them nearly as much as you would think.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The original poster has never responded once after the initial post. That means there are 68 posts that were wasted for the most part. And this is just one of many posts where the OP disappears after the initial post. Posts like this should self-lock if the OP fails to participate after so many days, like one or two weeks or after so many posts, like 20 or 30 posts. It sure would cut down on all the responses that go to waste because the OP disappears and never reads them.
How do you know the OP didn't slip and fall and is in the hospital with a broken leg, or on a trip and not easily able to log on or even have the time to log on, or otherwise engaged, or thinking about all the advice before she wants to respond instead of just spouting off a reply?

And how do you know that all of the replies may not help someone else reading this thread. You don't.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
How do you know the OP didn't slip and fall and is in the hospital with a broken leg, or on a trip and not easily able to log on or even have the time to log on, or otherwise engaged, or thinking about all the advice before she wants to respond instead of just spouting off a reply?

And how do you know that all of the replies may not help someone else reading this thread. You don't.
you are right. She is a spotty poster either way. Not someone looking to make $500 for engaging poster.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermex View Post
I wish you were my Mother Mrs. Cool; can I adopt you.... lol
Tried to rep you, but couldn't. So, thanks! (Funny thing is, the very day I wrote that, my daughter called to tell us she IS pregnant!)

Old 10-01-2017, 01:09 PM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

For us, moving further to northern Michigan simply means exchanging banks of sodium lights for carpets of stars.
Sounds lovely! what part of N. Michigan are you going to (in general)? Are you worried at all about harsher winters as you get older? I grew up in MI and I never minded winter that much (not so my DH), but I wonder how N. MI would be as we get older and have to worry more about things like falling on ice...

Old 10-01-2017, 05:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

The original poster has never responded once after the initial post. That means there are 68 posts that were wasted for the most part. And this is just one of many posts where the OP disappears after the initial post. Posts like this should self-lock if the OP fails to participate after so many days, like one or two weeks or after so many posts, like 20 or 30 posts. It sure would cut down on all the responses that go to waste because the OP disappears and never reads them.
I don't think posts are wasted when the original poster never checks back in. There is often much to be learned from many of the posts in any thread. Whatever the subject of the thread happens to be, there is often much to be learned or to think about from reading it.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:30 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Sounds lovely! what part of N. Michigan are you going to (in general)? Are you worried at all about harsher winters as you get older? I grew up in MI and I never minded winter that much (not so my DH), but I wonder how N. MI would be as we get older and have to worry more about things like falling on ice...
We bought 10 acres a few miles north-east of Traverse City, not far from Torch Lake. Funny about the winters; I grew up in California, left when I was 35 because I couldn't stand another minute of one continuous season. DW and I love skiing, and wanted winter so badly, we moved to the mountains of Colorado. Once we discovered how to thrive in snow country, we discovered that we wanted that for the rest of our lives. We have been living in deep snow country in places like the mountains of Colorado to the Canadian border in Maine since 1998, and now N. Michigan, and love it. How is it to deal with as we get older? Don't know for sure; we are only 65/66 so have a couple of decades to go before we start to cross that bridge (with cross-countries or snowshoes on). You can explore 'our Michigan' on my homepage if you're interested- it really is the perfect place for us!

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 10-02-2017 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
We bought 10 acres a few miles north-east of Traverse City, not far from Torch Lake. Funny about the winters; I grew up in California, left when I was 35 because I couldn't stand another minute of one continuous season. DW and I love skiing, and wanted winter so badly, we moved to the mountains of Colorado. Once we discovered how to thrive in snow country, we discovered that we wanted that for the rest of our lives. We have been living in deep snow county in places like the mountains of Colorado to the Canadian border in Maine since 1998, and now N. Michigan, and love it. How is it to deal with as we get older? Don't know for sure; we are only 65/66 so have a couple of decades to go before we start to cross that bridge (with cross-countries or snowshoes on). You can explore 'our Michigan' on my homepage if you're interested- it really is the perfect place for us!

What a great attitude.

I am a Californian myself, though we have lived in many different regions during my Active Duty career. We eventually fell in love with Maine.

If you like winters there is nothing to be afraid of by living in a four-seasons area.

I look around and see many seniors here who enjoy the lifestyle. Afterall Maine is the oldest state, we have the highest percentage of retirees among all states. A lot of fellow retirees flock to Northern latitudes to enjoy the weather.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 PM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
Quote:
We bought 10 acres a few miles north-east of Traverse City, not far from Torch Lake. Funny about the winters; I grew up in California, left when I was 35 because I couldn't stand another minute of one continuous season. DW and I love skiing, and wanted winter so badly, we moved to the mountains of Colorado. Once we discovered how to thrive in snow country, we discovered that we wanted that for the rest of our lives. We have been living in deep snow country in places like the mountains of Colorado to the Canadian border in Maine since 1998, and now N. Michigan, and love it. How is it to deal with as we get older? Don't know for sure; we are only 65/66 so have a couple of decades to go before we start to cross that bridge (with cross-countries or snowshoes on). You can explore 'our Michigan' on my homepage if you're interested- it really is the perfect place for us!

Definitely a great attitude! N. MI is beautiful and it sounds like it is the right place for you. I think about going back sometimes, but I don't think I could convince my DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement