Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:55 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

I did and glad to have the time, but have less money,
which is an ok trade off ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I agree. It’s not what life is about. Hope some of you retire early to live your true lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Enjoying life now semi-retired! Yeehaw!

Don't need much retirement money to where I will retire. Retirement house already paid in full.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I didn't slave away for someone else.

I provided services they needed and received compensation for it.

I do feel my late husband got cheated, we scrimped and lived way below our means to put away for retirement and he died at 43. But really, things like that cannot be foreseen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM

812 posts, read 795,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sure I "slaved away for someone else" but I didn't let that define my life. There were other hours in the day and night when I could be my own self doing the things I loved to do.

It's a matter of balance, work some, play some when you can. If you wait until retirement to follow your heart's desire you can be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Great attitude, Minervah!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksnacknyc View Post
So is everyone in NYC okay with slaving for other people and retiring at an old age and then dying?
It honestly doesn't make any sense to me...
why is life set up this way? It's a system I know but... don't we all wanna stay away from the system?
Thoughts on this?
Do you like to eat ? Want a roof over your head ? Like a little spending money for the luxuries of life ? Like the security of having some money in the bank for emergencies ? Then the way you get those things is by working, unless you were born rich.

If you consider it slaving for others, then you are going to be miserable all your working life.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
That's why I retired at 58.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:53 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
So is everyone in NYC okay with slaving for other people and retiring at an old age and then dying?
why is life set up this way? It's a system I know but... don't we all wanna stay away from the system?
Thoughts on this?
What the heck? People gotta eat. What other kind of system would you suggest?

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 10-06-2017 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 AM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I didn't mind working, because working paid for my food, my clothing, my house, my car, and all my other expenses, which is so much better than doing without all those things. Oddly enough, nobody else wanted to pay for all my expenses. Weird, huh.

I suppose I could have not worked and just lived in the woods under a pile of leaves, eating bugs, but that's just not my cup of tea.
Exactly. As if people in the past didn't work like crazy to grow/hunt food and have shelter and feed their kids, too. Does OP suggest that making a living in order to live is a bad decision?

Old 10-06-2017, 03:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Thoughts on this?
I'm slaving away but I'm supporting my family. I'm going to be stepping back from the system way earlier than 65 though. I may work part time becausecitvwill give me something to do but I may go work for myself again doing small handyman jobs

Old 10-06-2017, 04:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That's why I retired at 58.
47 here. Worked in healthcare and saw too many hard working individuals die in their 40s, 50s, 60s and told myself to get to retirement as soon as I hit financial critical mass*. That was eight years ago. Haven't had a boring day yet. Haven't regretted the decision whatsoever.

-----------------

*Critical Mass:

A state of freedom from worry and anxiety about money due to the accumulation of assets which make it possible to live your life as you choose without working if you prefer not to work or just working because you enjoy your work but don't need the income. Plainly stated, the Land of Critical Mass is a place in which individuals enjoy their own personal financial nirvana. Differentiation between earned income and assets is a fundamental lesson to learn when thinking in terms of critical mass. Earned income does not produce critical mass......critical mass is strictly a function of assets. Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
View detailed profiles of: