Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly , and that is what is happening to ssdi . my point exactly !
To be fair though it's not just individuals but also judges and lawyers that been found to commit fraud.
There was also a big investigation by SSA into some judges that had 100% SSDI approval rates back in 2011/2012 time frame. SSA ended up putting some new rules and procedures in place.

Here's one current story. The judge is in jail but the lawyer fled the country after cutting off his ankle monitoring bracelet.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/forme...ity-disability
A former administrative law judge for the Social Security Administration (SSA) pleaded guilty in federal court today for his role in a scheme to fraudulently obtain more than $550 million in federal disability payments from the SSA for thousands of claimants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
most is not loopholes . it is flat out you scratch my back and i will scratch yours between lawyers ,doctors and workers who have key powers in the ssdi approval process .

Old 10-06-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
To be fair though it's not just individuals but also judges and lawyers that been found to commit fraud.
There was also a big investigation by SSA into some judges that had 100% SSDI approval rates back in 2011/2012 time frame. SSA ended up putting some new rules and procedures in place.

Here's one current story. The judge is in jail but the lawyer fled the country after cutting off his ankle monitoring bracelet.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/forme...ity-disability
A former administrative law judge for the Social Security Administration (SSA) pleaded guilty in federal court today for his role in a scheme to fraudulently obtain more than $550 million in federal disability payments from the SSA for thousands of claimants.
i said that over and over above . they arrested over 100 for ssdi fraud here including lawyers ,doctors and those on the take at ssdi and in the process .

Old 10-06-2017, 07:33 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I've heard people say that nobody gets approved the first time without a lawyer, but that's not always true. My DH did. But then again, he'd spent quite a lot of time in the hospital before his interview. And I think the letter I asked for from one doctor while DH was still in MICU helped a lot.
I hired a lawyer when I applied, and it was the best thing I ever did. It's much easier to get benefits if you hire a lawyer. But lawyers will not accept your case unless they feel they can win and I had a very strong case. I won my benefits in three months without an appeal, and I was just 33 years old. As for your aunt, getting fired from a job may be relevant, but it doesn't hurt one's case. It might actually help her case in fact, if it is related to her disability (it was related to mine). SSA asks you why each job ended. Whoever said you have to be unemployed at the time of application was correct; when I applied in 2010, we had to be unemployed for 12 months.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
No more snow:

Let's just give it up to let mathjak have his "entitled opinion"....he has no proof of anymore fraud in SSDI than in any other system.

He probably thinks because I'm ALLOWED to work and earn something that I myself, am " gaming the system", but he doesn't realize that after years of seeing my SSDI deteriorate, that I HAVE to work as my SSDI doesn't cover the bills the way it used to.

I'm no different really than a SS retiree who works part time to supplement SS.

And, if I recall in other posts, mathjak is one who promotes or is using the ACA and low income to avoid paying for health care as " using the system" to his advantage, or at least advocated doing so, perhaps I have mathjak confused with someone else.

Until mathjak has EXPERIENCED disability for himself, he'll never know. And no amount of money prep can prepare one for the pain of a degenerating spine and discs, requiring daily dose of morphine, and codeine, a regiment of RFA ( radio frequency ablation), steroidal injections, and trigger point nerve injections. Nor can he know what a real clinical depression is, if he's never experienced it. Being "down in the dumps" is NOT what clinical depression is.

So let mathjak have his OPINION. He obviously has little data to back his claims.

Sure there are people who game the system, but they do ANY system. I'm sure mathjak uses the tax codes to HIS advantage as well, when he could be paying his fair share instead. I believe I've seen so in his posts suggestions.

Nomoresnow...enjoy your weekend.

OP I hope we've helped before this thread deteriorated into mathjaks vehement claims of falsehoods.

Good post. No point arguing with someone whose views are set in stone.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 AM

which i admit -they are on this topic .

Old 10-06-2017, 08:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
This has been an interesting thread for me to read.

I was part of a layoff at my job in Feb. 1993 and simultaneously was injured in an accident and left with great pain in the back and difficulty using my right arm.

I applied for SSD in August 1983, and was refused. In a hearing with an Admin. Law Judge in August 1984 I received full SSD, although the condition now affected the right hand as well by this point.

I was in no way psychologically prepared for either the layoff (after 20 years with the employer), and certainly not to become suddenly a "retiree" by virtue of incapacity. So, there was much turmoil in that year and beyond.

I found with both Workmen's Compensation and SSD that repeated physical examinations, tests and imaging and voluminous documentation of all this had to be submitted. All of which was available in its entirely to all interested parties. But what strikes me reading this thread, after so many years have passed with my own case, is how complicated the process seems to me now and, I gather, how much dishonesty escapes detection nevertheless.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This has been an interesting thread for me to read.

I was part of a layoff at my job in Feb. 1993 and simultaneously was injured in an accident and left with great pain in the back and difficulty using my right arm.

I applied for SSD in August 1983, and was refused. In a hearing with an Admin. Law Judge in August 1984 I received full SSD, although the condition now affected the right hand as well by this point.

I was in no way psychologically prepared for either the layoff (after 20 years with the employer), and certainly not to become suddenly a "retiree" by virtue of incapacity. So, there was much turmoil in that year and beyond.

I found with both Workmen's Compensation and SSD that repeated physical examinations, tests and imaging and voluminous documentation of all this had to be submitted. All of which was available in its entirely to all interested parties. But what strikes me reading this thread, after so many years have passed with my own case, is how complicated the process seems to me now and, I gather, how much dishonesty escapes detection nevertheless.
People who assume SSDI recipients are gaming the system are people who either know only one or two recipients or none at all. These people judging the disabled people are not doctors and certainly not the recipients' doctors. I find it appalling how judgmental these people are when they aren't doctors, have not seen their medical file, and have no clue what their lives are or what they are about. Most disabilities are invisible disabilities (mine are). We aren't amputees, blind, or in wheelchairs. That doesn't mean we aren't disabled and don't deserve benefits. Whether we deserve the money or not is not for others to decide.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i said that over and over above . they arrested over 100 for ssdi fraud here including lawyers ,doctors and those on the take at ssdi and in the process .
THAT does NOT make everyone on SSDI a fraud !!!!!

Really, there's a few bad apples in any whole bunch, but that doesn't mean the whole friggin system is bad.

Why aren't you so hard in TAX EVADERS?????

Hmm?

Your imput is NOT needed in a thread like this!

The woman wants to know more about how her sister can get SSDI help, not game the system!

Sheesh...

Old 10-06-2017, 09:31 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People who assume SSDI recipients are gaming the system are people who either know only one or two recipients or none at all. These people judging the disabled people are not doctors and certainly not the recipients' doctors. I find it appalling how judgmental these people are when they aren't doctors, have not seen their medical file, and have no clue what their lives are or what they are about. Most disabilities are invisible disabilities (mine are). We aren't amputees, blind, or in wheelchairs. That doesn't mean we aren't disabled and don't deserve benefits. Whether we deserve the money or not is not for others to decide.
EXACTLY

AMEN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement