Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
whether we like it or not ss once never meant to be anyone's means of support . it was only a safety net . the fact so many count on it as their MAJOR means of support was never the intention nor the design of it ..
Said by a man with a multiple seven figure retirement account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 PM

This thread has started out like one on the COLA increase several years ago. Many of the same participants saying the same thing. The discussion began to focus on the actual cost up or down of several categories of spending with specifics in some some. Of course the price of eggs and milks, chicken and meat products etc became a core comparison. Blah and blah we went. Agreement, disagreement you old timers know the drill.

At one point Robyn55, TuborgP and several others began talking about the price change of NY Prime Strip Steaks at Costco which were sold in packages of 3. After multiple exchanges it became obvious that the role and importance of the SS COLA in the lives of CD posters was all over the place and for some it is very significant and critical to their quality in life in retirement. Others not so much. I suspect for some it means remaining retired or going back to work.

A year or two ago I went to get a propane tank filled for my gas grill. The young guy filling it asked what I was cooking and I told him. He was like dang you can afford that? He shared with me that the increase in corn prices was really hurting him because he was dependent on corn to lure deer during hunting season. He was dependent on that Venison to help feed his family over the year after the season was over.

I thought at the time about my discussion with him and the discussions over the years in here. Folks if the SS increase isn't a major thing or is no big thing to your finances join me and lets count our blessings.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
So the government is telling us that the cost of living went up only 2% this year?

Gasoline in my area is up 15% this year.
My last internet service increase was 10%.

I'm sure that the rest of you have your own examples.
But what is the AVERAGE across ALL of your expenses? Anyway, it comes down to the "basket" of items used - whether that represents your personal expenses is a different matter.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

The above are verbatim the sections in the 2016 Republican platform. Each can read and determine/interpret for themselves. Perhaps the difference in opinions are based on how you interpret yours. If applied to current recipients it is one thing if applied to a 40 year old perhaps another interpretation. In your 50's and not yet 55. When's your birthday might determine a lurkers reaction.
Yes...it's all open to spin...the 'Pubs are here to save the day for us all!

Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But what is the AVERAGE across ALL of your expenses? Anyway, it comes down to the "basket" of items used - whether that represents your personal expenses is a different matter.
You don't get a COLA increase when gasoline goes up and have to give it back when it goes down. We get to keep it so the baseline as you know doesn't and isn't suppose to get us ahead like a working raise does. Folks don't remember $4.00 gasoline ans the impact that had on the COLA.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:00 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Said by a man with a multiple seven figure retirement account.
it has zero to do with me . it is fact and it is how it is designed . why do you keep bringing up anyone's net worth . it has zero to do with facts , what ss is and how the cpi's work .

rich ,poor or in the middle is what it is .

Old 10-15-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it has zero to do with me . it is fact and it is how it is designed . why do you keep bringing up anyone's net worth . it has zero to do with facts , what ss is and how the cpi's work .

rich ,poor or in the middle is what it is .
It is the impact on and that varies. Whether SS was meant to be a net and not the sole source of income as was noted by a poster, the reality is that for millions it is their income and for many others it isn’t.

In summary yes it is what it is and that IS can be as different as night and day for seniors.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:39 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Hopefully I see the increase. I already pay $134 for Medicaire and my wife and I work full time part time jobs together only gross 30k annually. Sad to say I could use the $40 a month.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
It is the impact on and that varies. Whether SS was meant to be a net and not the sole source of income as was noted by a poster, the reality is that for millions it is their income and for many others it isn’t.

In summary yes it is what it is and that IS can be as different as night and day for seniors.
but no matter what their income is they can't blames the structure and intention of social security because they did not do well financially. that is not how the system works.
the cpi increases are just that , they are just based on a basket of goods and services representative of 1500 mini economies . it represents society at large and no one in particular . no different than the supreme court ruling that says the police have no duty to protect you personally , only society at large.

good or bad thems just the way the system works , it is not my view , opinion or anything else that involves how rich or poor someone is .

Old 10-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Hopefully I see the increase. I already pay $134 for Medicaire and my wife and I work full time part time jobs together only gross 30k annually. Sad to say I could use the $40 a month.
it looks like drug plans may go up . i know i have the same plans as my wife only i started medicare oct 1 and she has hers 2 years ..

my supplement is about 4 bucks more a month for the same one , my drug plan 2 bucks more a month than hers but mine has a 400 deductible now . big difference from her plan which has no deductible . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement