Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sure, you get people who up and move on a whim, usually without doing the proper research first. But it's not just people looking for rural, or people looking for a retirement spot. How many young people do you think move from rural to chase big city dreams and find themselves overwhelmed and return home because they didnt' like it as much as they thought they would?

And I totally get that people sometimes put a lot of emphasis on weather but they don't truly understand what they are getting into until they experience it firsthand and it's too late and they are miserable. One persons 'warm and comfortable' might be another persons 'sweltering to death'. I think weather is one of the hardest things to pin down and why there IS so much emphasis and discussion about it.

Scenery, eh, I think you are a bit like my daughter, not nearly as concerned with mountains, beaches, and views, etc, as she is with what there is to do. I made a comment the other day about the stunning views of the mountains with all the fall colors and her reply was "Oh, I hadn't noticed", lol. But for some people like me those views are very important, they impart a sense of beauty or serenity that we find necessary in our lives.

I think there will always be some people who get it wrong, maybe they are just stubborn, or impatient, or incapable of seeing things they don't wan't to see, but I think that it's more the exception than the rule. Most of the people I see on the forums here seem to be putting in a lot of effort to try to get it right.
I enjoy the scenery, but I work a standard 8-5. My office overlooks a parking lot. I won't be able to do much outside after work until the time goes back - it just gets dark too early.

Day to day, the area's scenery and outdoor opportunities don't mean a lot. Most people go to work, have a few hours to themselves, then restart. The weekends are different, and I try to take advantage. If I was retired, sure, I could do a lot more, but a cubicle looking out over a parking lot is the same here as anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This board, and many retiree oriented area local boards, often receive post after post from people considering retiring to such and such area.

Being in Tennessee, one thing I've never understood is why people from big, rich, prosperous areas often become fixated on rural retirement living, oftentimes in areas they've never been to or know anything about. We often get posters on our local boards from California, New York, etc., who have never been to Tennessee (if they have - it's almost always to the tourist attractions only), nor lived in a small town, and seem downright set on moving, come hell or high water, with no one being able to change their minds.

Let's face it - we're mostly a suburban and urban nation now. Most of the population lives in fairly significant metro areas and their suburbs/exurbs, not isolated small towns and rural areas. We get used to certain lifestyles and amenities over the years. When I moved back to my small town in Tennessee from an affluent area of Indiana, it was a major shock to me, and often still is. I feel like the rug was yanked out from under me in many ways.

When people look at areas for retirement, it seems like people get overly obsessed with certain things. Taxes always come up. While taxes are important, I'd rather pay several thousand more in taxes annually in a place I'd rather be, rather than simply chasing areas with the lowest possible tax burden. When areas have very low tax burdens, they also usually have very little in the way of services or amenities, which may be important as people age.

People often seem to assume similar medical care is similar everywhere, but it isn't. I know a professor who is going through brain cancer. He cannot get all of the treatment he needs locally, so he goes to Duke periodically. Truly rural areas and very small towns may not even have a family doctor or small community hospital around for quite some distance. There are plenty of beautiful areas over in southwest Virginia that may not have a family doctor within hour in any direction.

Do we often place outsize importance on weather? In this area, we often get people who want a mild four season climate. We generally have that, but I wouldn't consider this a weather paradise. A lot of people want to move out of say, Ohio, for its cloudy winters. In my neck of the woods, we've been cloudy and cool all week, with seven of the next ten days either being mostly cloudy or raining. We're five to ten degrees warmer than Columbus, OH, which is also scheduled for about the same cloud cover and rain. November to March in most of the country is a slog weather-wise.

It seems to me that, in planning for retirement, many people are looking for significant life change, often having never experienced the lifestyle that they're "looking" for at all. It almost seems like people are wanting to buy into the brochures and vacation guides they see.

If someone desires to leave the rat race of NYC, DC, whatever, why did they wait forty years or whatever to do so? Yes, those areas are where the jobs are, but there are interior cities that also have good job markets. If the kids didn't want to relocate, well, they're probably gone by the time people reach traditional retirement age. If they are young, they go with you.

Thoughts?
Why stay in NYC for 40 years? JOB! The types of jobs in NYC aren't available all over the country. If you work in the finance district, you will be well beyond burnt out after 40 years and just looking for some peace and quite.

If you've never lived in a state like NY or NJ, it's easy to say you'd pay more in taxes. We are 2 of the highest taxed states in the nation. It literally costs a small fortune to live here and own a house.

I've lived in SC and enjoyed the cheap taxes. We relocated back to NY - a different part of the state - and holy moly we're taxed through the roof! I know why retirees flee here like Canadian geese migrate. They're saving tens of thousands of dollars every year.....literally tens of thousands of dollars. Property taxes here will make your head spin.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 PM

221 posts, read 193,134 times
Important relocation elements reviewed as a comfortable retirement loomed were explored over a 6-7 year time frame. Many sources were used as were the boards from CD. Dream list shortened after potential cities were visited these trips educated on the high and low points of each. Initial feelings of what region would enrich the most was, in fact, the zip code where my hat landed.

After Uncle Sam sailing time and seeing the Atlantic as Pacific port cities of the world my stateside addresses: San Jose 21 years, Rural Central Florida 16 years, Phoenix 4 years. Failure was Vancouver, WA, in the early '90s where I lasted less than nine months.

Weather has forever been of importance and ability to adhere to the desert heat reinforces my research that this is the right place for me. Major climate change is 150 miles away and in the summer a nice, short time, getaway.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why stay in NYC for 40 years? JOB! The types of jobs in NYC aren't available all over the country. If you work in the finance district, you will be well beyond burnt out after 40 years and just looking for some peace and quite.

If you've never lived in a state like NY or NJ, it's easy to say you'd pay more in taxes. We are 2 of the highest taxed states in the nation. It literally costs a small fortune to live here and own a house.

I've lived in SC and enjoyed the cheap taxes. We relocated back to NY - a different part of the state - and holy moly we're taxed through the roof! I know why retirees flee here like Canadian geese migrate. They're saving tens of thousands of dollars every year.....literally tens of thousands of dollars. Property taxes here will make your head spin.
True! True! Life as we knew it in NY was not sustainable for us in retirement for those reasons, and more. Which is why we moved to SC and are staying ...

Old 11-09-2017, 12:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,928,459 times
Quote:
This board, and many retiree oriented area local boards, often receive post after post from people considering retiring to such and such area.

Being in Tennessee, one thing I've never understood is why people from big, rich, prosperous areas often become fixated on rural retirement living, oftentimes in areas they've never been to or know anything about. We often get posters on our local boards from California, New York, etc., who have never been to Tennessee (if they have - it's almost always to the tourist attractions only), nor lived in a small town, and seem downright set on moving, come hell or high water, with no one being able to change their minds.

Let's face it - we're mostly a suburban and urban nation now. Most of the population lives in fairly significant metro areas and their suburbs/exurbs, not isolated small towns and rural areas. We get used to certain lifestyles and amenities over the years. When I moved back to my small town in Tennessee from an affluent area of Indiana, it was a major shock to me, and often still is. I feel like the rug was yanked out from under me in many ways.

When people look at areas for retirement, it seems like people get overly obsessed with certain things. Taxes always come up. While taxes are important, I'd rather pay several thousand more in taxes annually in a place I'd rather be, rather than simply chasing areas with the lowest possible tax burden. When areas have very low tax burdens, they also usually have very little in the way of services or amenities, which may be important as people age.

People often seem to assume similar medical care is similar everywhere, but it isn't. I know a professor who is going through brain cancer. He cannot get all of the treatment he needs locally, so he goes to Duke periodically. Truly rural areas and very small towns may not even have a family doctor or small community hospital around for quite some distance. There are plenty of beautiful areas over in southwest Virginia that may not have a family doctor within hour in any direction.

Do we often place outsize importance on weather? In this area, we often get people who want a mild four season climate. We generally have that, but I wouldn't consider this a weather paradise. A lot of people want to move out of say, Ohio, for its cloudy winters. In my neck of the woods, we've been cloudy and cool all week, with seven of the next ten days either being mostly cloudy or raining. We're five to ten degrees warmer than Columbus, OH, which is also scheduled for about the same cloud cover and rain. November to March in most of the country is a slog weather-wise.

It seems to me that, in planning for retirement, many people are looking for significant life change, often having never experienced the lifestyle that they're "looking" for at all. It almost seems like people are wanting to buy into the brochures and vacation guides they see.

If someone desires to leave the rat race of NYC, DC, whatever, why did they wait forty years or whatever to do so? Yes, those areas are where the jobs are, but there are interior cities that also have good job markets. If the kids didn't want to relocate, well, they're probably gone by the time people reach traditional retirement age. If they are young, they go with you.

Thoughts?
Less congestion, low cost of living, and decent climate. I guess to some it sounds better on paper, but may not be. That's why the recommendation should always be to rent for awhile.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
I enjoy the scenery, but I work a standard 8-5. My office overlooks a parking lot. I won't be able to do much outside after work until the time goes back - it just gets dark too early.

Day to day, the area's scenery and outdoor opportunities don't mean a lot. Most people go to work, have a few hours to themselves, then restart. The weekends are different, and I try to take advantage. If I was retired, sure, I could do a lot more, but a cubicle looking out over a parking lot is the same here as anywhere.
Quote:
I initially joined C-D back in 2011 when I was thinking of moving. I rarely posted for the first year or so, and ended up with a night shift job and started posting to pass the time.
Consider getting another night shift job! (except DST Steals from night shift...) I am outdoorsy / farmer and found my 30+ yrs on night shift was huge help in making 'Work' secondary (As well as the extra income assisting for a 15+ yr early retirement) pre age 50. by for the BEST thing for e... No Bosses on nights! (thus I was able to keep my j-o-b )

location... It is not possible to find the PERFECT spot, and our needs / activities / desires / careers / interests are subject to change (I HOPE!!!)

Laura C has a great 'relocation' guide (choosing the right spot).. She came from urban and ended up near you (Oakridge).

similar to me... she was very systematic, but also allowed for 'feel' / enjoyment of the place, and ability to change / 'grow' into enjoying the place RATHER than fight it tooth and nail.

the Basics:
  • CoL
  • Climate
  • Housing costs
  • Social needs (safety / low crime / available meet-up groups)
  • Medical needs...

then the perks;
  • Beautiful and accessible spots nearby (LauraC is into photography, so NE TN avails that) I choose to live within a National Scenic Area (yet 20 min to all the METRO I could digest 2m+ population) I cannot over emphasis how much I (and others) enjoy a GREAT view during retirement (When we finally have time to stay home and enjoy it) for some... this is a non-issue, but even while living in urban Singapore, Barcelona, Zurich, and Bangkok... I first looked for safety / transportation, THEN View, then FOOD!
  • Adult / advanced EDU options
  • Rich (in culture / knowledge / activities) and engaging senior community
  • Future Options (Aging in place / different housing types, neighborhoods, regional activities)
  • International Airport (for me) NE TN will need to happen when I stay home more than I do now...(thus Wyoming (my first choice) failed to qualify, BUT I shall return for my final resting place... SNF for $1600 / month, I'm on the wait list)

when searching...I always stay and congregate with locals and attend (and volunteer @) community events as if I were living there. I ask (and LISTEN) to a ZILLION questions from EVERYONE (Especially the tax assessor, planner, sheriff, and bankers, and builders (plus ALWAYS farmers... cuz they are the ones who have stuck around for decades and cannot easily relocate ... thus they remain INVESTED in the community and in leadership / issues) I have stayed with 12 hosts in NE TN, 8 were farmers, 10 were rural (my preference for the moment... PEACE and QUIET in retirement. noise is particularly negative for me))

Thus... Kingsport and NE TN remains on my 'short list' for a 'temporary' relocation (for a 'season'... 24 months capital gains exemption). I hosted suppliers from Kingsport today, they are REALLY happy there (for last 30 yrs in some cases) YMMV

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,209,544 times
I don't know that I have ever dreamed of a place being perfect and each move we just accepted what each place had to offer, understood what it didn't have to offer, and found ways to enjoy our experience. Now we are on a new adventure when my husband retires and will move to a place that has a completely different lifestyle to what life is like here in in Ohio, but then America has been a whole new lifestyle in itself. I would have worried about getting my marmite, but Amazon delivers everywhere, so I am SET.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:21 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,034,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thus... Kingsport and NE TN remains on my 'short list' for a 'temporary' relocation (for a 'season'... 24 months capital gains exemption). I hosted suppliers from Kingsport today, they are REALLY happy there (for last 30 yrs in some cases) YMMV
Not if the GOP tax bill becomes law.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
True! True! Life as we knew it in NY was not sustainable for us in retirement for those reasons, and more. Which is why we moved to SC and are staying ...
The difference in just property taxes on your house is HUGE. Not to mention all the other taxes and COL up here. Nothing is cheap up here. Many retired folks just can't afford to stay here. They sell their house here and get something much newer down there for a fraction of the cost. When we lived in SC, we built a brand new house for less than half of what it would have cost us up here. And we live in the cheap part of the state!

Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,124,095 times
Quote:
A lot of folks get on the bandwagon of looking for escape high taxes. Well, TN works on that front. Taxes are generally very low across the board.

I posted in another thread about moving back from Indiana. Food costs for many staple items here are double what I paid in Indiana - milk and eggs come to mind. Car insurance is double. Yes, I do save on taxes, but the general increased costs across the board where I am would make where I am more expensive than similarly sized towns in IN.

People don't often do that drilling down, but instead get caught up on headline taxes. I'm not saying that this part of TN is expensive by any means but there is more than meets the eye.
That's true, but, other types of expenses are more subject to one "figuring a way around it" than taxes are. Particularly a sales or income tax, it's hard to minimize that. So I can see paying a good bit of attention to tax minimization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement