Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

As with so many posts, it's difficult to know where to put this one, but I figured I might find a good number of people here to whom this applies. If you're going to be alone (and I mean really alone) for the holidays this year, how do you cope with that, and how you plan to spend them? This especially applies to those who are alone not just on those days, but every day. Will you actively avoid them? Casually ignore them? Celebrate them traditionally? Celebrate them non-traditionally? Share your plans with us here.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I will be dragged kicking and screaming to relatives homes for drama, cold ham, dried turkey and giving gifts no one appreciates. I would LOVE to just spend the holidays alone with my dogs.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I will be dragged kicking and screaming to relatives homes for drama, cold ham, dried turkey and giving gifts no one appreciates. I would LOVE to just spend the holidays alone with my dogs.

I wish I could just spend the time with my elderly parents without my brothers and their wives and their bratty kids. The kids are so loud and undisciplined and it makes my mother so nervous and upset.

Two years ago I was able to just take my parents on a nice, quiet Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant, but then the next day the dreaded hoard descended on them and I wasn't there for a buffer.

But. . . to answer OPs original post, when my parents are gone, I will spend all holidays alone and it won't bother me a bit

Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
I cook for myself, usually a turkey or turkey breast (I MUST have stuffing). I enjoy not having to go anywhere, be anywhere or see anyone. I'll make sure I have a good book to read and some good stuff queued up on the TV to watch. I'll sleep late, walk the dog, cook when I'm ready to cook and otherwise lounge around. There usually will be a nap in there somewhere too.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
If I were right on my own, I'd find someplace I could volunteer for that day, either giving out meals or something like that.

Since we're a couple (but still on our own) we will probably just ignore most of the brouha but I will probably make a turkey dinner. Traveling to so-so relatives would be worse than death. Thanksgiving we will likely just ignore, Christmas we'll do minimal.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
I've spent the holidays alone for decades. No big deal. I'll usually cook a little dinner and treat myself to a matinee at the movies.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 AM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
I am alone almost all the time. I like the Holidays and not only don't mind being alone then I prefer it. Like all the rest of the time, I can do what I want even if that's nothing. And no listening to other's inanity. People around on the holidays would only ruin them.

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

― Blaise Pascal

Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
I USED to live an 9 hour drive away in another state. I worked retail at one job and cooked in a restaurant the second job. In other words, zero or not much time off for the two major holidays so all the loafers and time off people can shop til they drop and eat out.

So I had zero family time. When I moved back here and later got together with my OH, I used to cook a big TG meal for 6 of us, and I don't do it short, I do it all out. But with both mother's gone, I've told the remaining fathers I'm not doing it anymore. I physically can't anymore.

But I will, over the days leading up to it next week, cook a small 10 pound turkey, spaghetti and butternut squash, make whole berry cran-orange sauce and stuffing and gravy for just my OH and I. That's not totally alone, I have my OH .

Thus year my OH will work 7am-11am and I will work 4-8, the turkey will be done when I get home and well eat.

Christmas day I'll work 8am-4pm, then go to the great nephews for dinner and presents.

Again that's not total ALONE, but if it wasn't for the great nephews, it'd just be my OH and I. Someday it will just be me or just my OH. Id still put up a tree, and id still cook a turkey something, even just legs and or thighs, of some sort, of it was just me.

I did when ALONE 9 hours away and working every hour needed around the holidays. So I'd do it again still.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Is it that time of year again?

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...christmas.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ys-thread.html

Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Pretty much I'm only alone if I chose to be. I have way too many good friends I could mooch off of if I really wanted to, not even going to mention the 100's of family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.