Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:07 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,575,982 times

Advertisements

Hey op,
so in the last 5 years I have lost my wonderful husband of 29 years, my baby brother and one of my best friends to cancer. ALL before they turned 55.

That has taught me first hand that life is short and it is up to us to make our own happiness. Now you cannot change your children's behavior. for whatever reason, they have chosen not to participate in you and your husbands life.

So if it were me I would not move trying to be "closer" to your kids. Maya Angelou said it best "when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time". they have shown you who they are.

I would stay where you are and concentrate on doing what brings you and your husband happiness, as others have said investigate where you two can get the best help for aging and when you're life will be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,601,180 times
Big takeaway from this thread; living close to your kids can be of no value.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,736,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Big takeaway from this thread; living close to your kids can be of no value.
It can also be of the greatest value.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,577,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It can also be of the greatest value.
Sure, if there is a healthy relationship with ones children. That doesn't seem to be the case for the OP.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,117,506 times
Coincidence: I just met 2 couples in the past 10 days who moved to be closer to their kids and now they are back here. For whatever reason they said "it just didn't work out."

Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,142,236 times
It is not just an issue of the kids stepping up to help. Do you really want to burden family members with elder care issues? Are they going to be of help when you need medical care, especially long term care? Your kids have their own lives and responsibilities.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:57 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,068,326 times
Before I answer the OP, folks, she and her husband lived in South Carolina. They know what Myrtle Beach is like. The humidity would be a killer for me but I'm not her. Give her credit for having done the planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathwilms View Post
Soooo, how far do you live from nearest family member and do you worry about what might happen later?
I live 750 miles from the nearest family member, my spouse. Aside from him, it's 1300 miles to the nearest blood relatives, who would be no help at all anyway and besides, I feel the same way about them.

I do think about what might happen later. I'm 64 too, and in fair health. My HMO wants me to schedule a colonoscopy, as it's been ten years. I told them I can't do that because I have no one to take me home afterwards. I know it's going to continue to be a series of things like that and they'll increase in severity as the years go by.

Oh, I expect I'll make friends here eventually. But it might be a while before I find my tribe.

Quote:
Do we throw caution to the wind and live our last years out where and how we want to live?
I can't determine that for you but after years of pondering that very question I decided, "Heck, YES!"

Old 12-15-2017, 02:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,577,535 times
^You can hire a home health aid for one day for your colonoscopy.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,621,864 times
It is hard to offer suggestions without any knowledge of your financial resources and your physical limitations and abilities.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:30 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,518,753 times
And elder life is not an all or nothing situation. We found mom a lovely senior independent apartment in a large well maintained if older community. Has some great things for elders like inside mail and garbage, planned activities, all utilities paid, and a bus service (since it is a large community and many dont drive). Here she pays around $800 for a large one bedroom apartment. She does not drive but has developed friendships with people who do and we are 20 minutes away. They have several companies that can provide services on an as needed basis when the need arises, such as health care aid, etc.

It does not have to be own a home or go into an expensive assisted living home. Look around carefully for housing in the climate you want and dont be too rigid on exactly what city. There are many types and costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement