Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 07:41 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,712,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I prefer "aging with attitude".

We live once in life and if it makes people (women and yes men) feel better, what's the problem? Obviously you'd be surprised how many people have things done, I know, I was. Some because don't like their big nose, other because their eyelids were so heavy they were tired all the time (like me), others because they're boobs are big, others too small. Others work out like crazy and just can't get rid of that belly.
I find it sad that so many women feel pressured to have themselves cut up! Think about it! Sliced and diced.

Yes, there is pressure in the workforce to look "good" - however, no amount of pressure could make me want to mutilate myself.

The idea that "it's all fine if it makes you feel better," to me is a senseless kind of cop-out - you only need to "feel better" because you feel bad - why not work on the root problem? Your acceptance of yourself and the fact that you are a human being who is going to age (with luck) and not be as ravishing in your old age as you were in your youth.

Most of the people I have seen who have had procedures (stars) do not look any better - they certainly do not look younger - you can't really fool mother nature.

It's denial of the aging process and giving into to patriarchal pressures (my belief).

I honestly had no idea this was so prevalent.

I would want to teach my children to learn to accept themselves and all of their imperfections and that beauty is only skin deep.

Like one poster asked: How many men feel the need to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I can't be the only person who is amused by a poster with the name "nobodys business" who is passing judgement on other posters in a thread.

I suspect that a lot of the women in the thread who have had plastic surgery had it during their working years, when a woman is judged MUCH more harshly on her apparent age and appearance than a man.
I am not just "passing judgment" to be mean, but to make a statement about the lengths some women go to to remain "viable" and attractive. I think it says a lot about the shallow culture and lack of awareness of what really constitutes inner peace and happiness.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,298,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I can't be the only person who is amused by a poster with the name "nobodys business" who is passing judgement on other posters in a thread.

Lol. I'm not surprised...she judges her entire neighborhood.

Ignore option is oh so useful.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:29 PM

249 posts, read 268,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am not just "passing judgment" to be mean, but to make a statement about the lengths some women go to to remain "viable" and attractive. I think it says a lot about the shallow culture and lack of awareness of what really constitutes inner peace and happiness.
You are making the judgement that some women do this to remain "viable and attractive". Do you have any care about your appearance? I'm asking about your personal care, not to please another person, but yourself. Do you style your hair or wear any makeup? Do you buy clothes for style and color, or wear only black sacks everyday?

Are you aware it is possible for women who have inner peace and happiness to care about their appearance.

Your statement is labeling other women's personal choice as shallow and lacking awareness. It is not mean but ignorant.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,257,970 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of trying to be attractive but trying to ward off the ageist assumptions people might have because you have bags under your eyes and they think you look tired and less capable. Yes shallow culture but when the roof over your head depends on your job you do what needs to be done. I am glad I didn't face that quandary or need to make that choice.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
You are making the judgement that some women do this to remain "viable and attractive". Do you have any care about your appearance? I'm asking about your personal care, not to please another person, but yourself. Do you style your hair or wear any makeup? Do you buy clothes for style and color, or wear only black sacks everyday?

Are you aware it is possible for women who have inner peace and happiness to care about their appearance.

Your statement is labeling other women's personal choice as shallow and lacking awareness. It is not mean but ignorant.
Agree to disagree.

Of course I care about my appearance. I eat healthy, get my hair cut, get mani-pedis - but draw the line at mutilation (cutting) or injecting myself with toxins.

The larger context is that some women can only have "inner peace" if they cut themselves at the discretion of some man (plastic surgeons are usually male) - and go to that length because the society says women can't get old. If that was not the case, then men would be cutting and slicing themselves, as well - and outside of Hollywood, I don't think the incidence is that great. You have to ask "why" . . . (or not) . . . obviously, I can't stop anyone from slicing and dicing their face, injecting themselves with balloons that have to be replaced every ten years, or sawing fat off their bellies or having their thigh fat sucked out with a vacuum . . .it's just all a little much, I think (and doesn't really "work" - doesn't result in looking younger and certainly does not make you younger - which the assertion is that this is all about the denial of death and aging).

Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
It's not a matter of trying to be attractive but trying to ward off the ageist assumptions people might have because you have bags under your eyes and they think you look tired and less capable. Yes shallow culture but when the roof over your head depends on your job you do what needs to be done. I am glad I didn't face that quandary or need to make that choice.
I worked until mid-sixties and never found it to be an issue. And I was in sales - so I don't know what to tell you.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:33 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,257,970 times
Quote:
I worked until mid-sixties and never found it to be an issue. And I was in sales - so I don't know what to tell you.
Lucky you but a shame to judge others based on your experience.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:32 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,457,087 times
Quote:
Agree to disagree.

Of course I care about my appearance. I eat healthy, get my hair cut, get mani-pedis - but draw the line at mutilation (cutting) or injecting myself with toxins.

The larger context is that some women can only have "inner peace" if they cut themselves at the discretion of some man (plastic surgeons are usually male) - and go to that length because the society says women can't get old. If that was not the case, then men would be cutting and slicing themselves, as well - and outside of Hollywood, I don't think the incidence is that great. You have to ask "why" . . . (or not) . . . obviously, I can't stop anyone from slicing and dicing their face, injecting themselves with balloons that have to be replaced every ten years, or sawing fat off their bellies or having their thigh fat sucked out with a vacuum . . .it's just all a little much, I think (and doesn't really "work" - doesn't result in looking younger and certainly does not make you younger - which the assertion is that this is all about the denial of death and aging).
Oh please, "mutilation", "slicing and dicing", "sawing fat off" -- drama much?

Here's why women (and plenty of men!) have cosmetic procedures -- because they can. And no one really cares that you think it's wrong, or that we aren't at peace with ourselves, or blah blah blah.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about, and here's why: Know why you had "no idea" this was so prevalent? Because people are having procedures that are so subtle, you don't even know. Not everyone goes to the length of Joan Rivers. My friend is a case in point -- I wouldn't have known she had anything done, but when I look back at her "before" pics, I see what an improvement her (female) plastic surgeon made in her jawline and turkey neck. One of our male friends (who didn't know about her surgery) said to her, "You look great! Have you lost weight?". And THAT'S the effect you want. Or maybe not YOU, but others.

Last edited by Avalon08; 12-30-2017 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,115,447 times
Hilarious comments. I've had lots of plastic surgery since I was in the entertainment industry most of my life. I could write volumes. Bottom line - It's YOUR money. Do what makes you happy. It's fun being pretty, sexy. And if that is what you can afford and want, then go for it. I still donate tons of $$ so it's not like I am all selfish and the such. And I dont stash all my cash like some of the folks who think they are going to take it with them when they go. Life is for LIVING !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement