Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,045,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Many of them in states that increased minimum wage... guess they should be happy for the ones who still have jobs since they get paid more

economists have said upping minimum wage like that would hurt the unskilled, well they voted for it
Your post makes zero sense. Walmart is already paying more than minimum wage and just decided to raise workers' wages even higher due to how much money they're making. The minimum wage has absolutely nothing to do with the decision to close underperforming Sam's Club stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,610,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
They still have a person in front in the Walmart I go to but it's to check your cart as you leave and show them your receipt.
That store has about 20 self checkouts.
Our WalMart doesn't have greeters.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
My Walmart hasn’t had greeters in quite awhile. But from time to time they do have people who check for your receipt. Not sure what good that does because you can just flash any old Walmart receipt in front of them and they’re ok with that. Still doesn’t mean somebody didn’t slip something in their bags after they checked out or didn’t check out all their items in the self check out lanes??? I’ve never had anyone check my receipt against what I actually had in my bags...seems their system is pretty lax. Although I know they have cameras around in most areas. I know shoplifting is a huge problem for Walmart.

Each one of our self checkout scanners now has it's own camera. It can 'see' if someone didn't scan something and just put it in a bag but it's the weight that catches the scanners attention. Then a prompt box pops up and the cashier has to find out if the item actually scanned or not. They then push the rescan button or the no action button and go on from there.

The only things greeters are supposed to check are the large unbagged items. I've read where some say they go through all your bags. We have never done that nor would we and don't WANT to. It's actually not legal far as I know. If some actually added something to their bags after they leave the area there's not much we can do about it but MOST head straight to the door. An exception might be someone who has a basket full but their car is being serviced so they haul it all over to that side of the store. Who knows what they do in between? And then there was the greeter who ate two donuts without paying for them. Seen on camera but only after another associate 'ratted him out'. He got fired. His wife worked with me and was totally humiliated by it all. They soon after moved to FL.

Our shoplifting 'problem' hasn't been nearly as bad as it was for a long time now. We have a top notch AP team and we are ALL aware of things because it's just one of the things that affects our quarterly bonus. We do keep our eyes open. Most of it is just kids but some homeless and even a few innocent looking little old ladies.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 PM

17,358 posts, read 11,332,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Walmart is raising the starting pay of all employees to $11 from the previous $9.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.28225f0a3082
Oh I love these stereotypes. I'm sure most old people have as their goal to stand at a door all day with a phony smile on their face. I guess that's what some people think.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,956,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Always thought that was a silly position but it offers employment to the unemployable so why not?
I need to let Walmart know that it's the greeters that's the best part of their store. For many people living on retirement the difference of just 15 hours a week at $10 an hour can easily make the difference between abject poverty and living reasonably well.

I'm of retirement age and I'm still working in the mechanical engineering type job earning about four times what a Walmart greeter earns but the day May Come where I want to continue to work but I don't want the stress and a Walmart greeter job might just be the perfect job for me.

It wouldn't be about the money I would just enjoy greeting people smiling and making jokes with kids and that sort of thing it's fun.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 AM

666 posts, read 645,273 times
If the "greet

Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM

413 posts, read 702,580 times
I worked at Walmart in the summer of 2016. I worked in private industry for about 9 years before I started my federal career and I needed 4 more Social Security "points" to be able to collect anything from SS. I started at $9 an hour but went up to $10 after 30 days when I was "trained." Then I went up to $11 from June through August because we work in a summer resort area. I was grateful for the increase over the minimum wage rate that most of the beach shops offered, but I was not sorry when it came time to quit. That place is a madhouse in summer, especially on Saturdays which is the change-over day for beach rental houses, and they always booked me for the 2-11PM shift on Saturdays.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
You know, "Walmart greeter" is sort of the "butt of jokes" as a job, but, I think if one is short on options, a part time job at Walmart can come with health benefits, depending on how many hours you work and how long you are there, and, you can get in on the stock as well, still as part time.

Or so I have heard. Did I hear wrong?

Now if you are an engineer, a lawyer, whatever, with a good bit of training and know-how, you won't be working at Walmart, you will be working part-time hours, maybe at your old day job, or for a doctor or lawyer, still working for yourself, just fewer hours and pickier about what you want to take on. But a person without much professional education or a trade, something like Walmart, or for that matter a gig as a barista at Starbucks, can be OK.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
They still have a person in front in the Walmart I go to but it's to check your cart as you leave and show them your receipt.
That store has about 20 self checkouts.
That sounds like what they do at a Sam's Club - I've never been to a Walmart store that does that.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 PM

413 posts, read 702,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, "Walmart greeter" is sort of the "butt of jokes" as a job, but, I think if one is short on options, a part time job at Walmart can come with health benefits, depending on how many hours you work and how long you are there, and, you can get in on the stock as well, still as part time.

Or so I have heard. Did I hear wrong?
I think you pretty much have to be a fulltime employee to get health coverage. The only full-timers at our neighborhood Walmart were top managers. The new policy is you have to average 30 or more hours per week to qualify. We were assured of 32 hours through the summer, but when things slow down in off-season at our store most people have their hours cut back. (Another reason I was glad to quit in September and leave more hours for my fellow associates.)
It is not a bad place to work as far as wages compared to other retail stores, but it is physically demanding being on your feet all day and lifting groceries and it's stressful, keeping up with the volume of customers. There were many older folks working there; often they were supplementing their SS to support their live-in grandchildren or pay medical bills or other extra-ordinary needs. Good, hard-working people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement