Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they are that way because of fear?

Afraid if they stop going something terrible will happen

I have a sibling and know others like this. Sibling always cleaning either her place or daughters place. Makes me anxious just listening to her talking about it.

Acquaintances with illnesses to include recovering from surgery still babysitting or doing other chores for their kids.

How do they do it! I practically have to force myself to go to the store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Maybe those of us who, until recently, had to force ourselves to the job are still enjoying not *having* to do anything. For instance, my big plan for today is to change the shower curtain and clear out one last closet. I might get dressed. I might not.

Yesterday I drove into town and went out to lunch with a frazzled former night coworker. We were both slow and it was exhausting. I came home and went back to bed for a couple of hours.

I know I am detoxing from years of night shifts but really have to desire to rush to do anything.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
It is the old chicken and egg issue. If you are active, you will live longer? Or does being active just mean your health is good to begin with?

I have chronic fatigue, muscle weakness and an autoimmune disease. I force myself to do things every day for pretty much every activity. Otherwise I would be sitting on the couch, taking naps and moving closer to death.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
I don't know if fear is the right word. I turn 60 this year. I was concerned about turning 60 while overweight and inactive. Last summer I was 60 pounds heavier than I am now. My BMI is now just under 25. I have been walking over 4000 steps per day average so far this year, avoiding saturated fat and eating whole grain bread or oatmeal two or three times a day because my LDL was 116 and I want to get it under 100 (waiting for results from blood draw a few days ago). I want to be very active and healthy in my 60s for a couple of reasons - one is it will make the 60s more enjoyable. The other is it increases the odds that I will enjoy more years, not just survive. There are no guarantees, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything you can to increase the odds of a long and active life (at lest IMO).

Last winter I got a minor scare from an arthritic condition I have (family curse; i'r an autoimmune thing) and was hobbled. Losing weight reduces the odds of spikes from that also.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I know I am detoxing from years of night shifts but really have to desire to rush to do anything.
You have my sympathy. I worked night shifts for a few weeks or months several times in my life. Even when I was young I had a great deal of difficulty and always felt tired or just plain exhausted.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It is the old chicken and egg issue. If you are active, you will live longer? Or does being active just mean your health is good to begin with?

I have chronic fatigue, muscle weakness and an autoimmune disease. I force myself to do things every day for pretty much every activity. Otherwise I would be sitting on the couch, taking naps and moving closer to death.
So it is sort of being afraid? What if nothing were to happen if you did nothing - not worry about it?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So it is sort of being afraid? What if nothing were to happen if you did nothing - not worry about it?
Why even bother living if you do nothing? I try to make my life about learning, setting goals and plans, and trying to achieve them.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Lewis Carroll said it best. I think this may pertain especially as we age.

“Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!”

Lewis Carroll, Alice Through the Looking Glass

Old 03-18-2018, 08:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Use it or lose it.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:59 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You have my sympathy. I worked night shifts for a few weeks or months several times in my life. Even when I was young I had a great deal of difficulty and always felt tired or just plain exhausted.

Thank you. I did it full-time and overtime for 27 years. No wonder that I don't feel OK or energetic now but am worried and hope to recover some kind of vigor. I do have plans for my life in Colorado... but try to remember that recovering can take a very long time and I only retired end of January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement