Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 14,799 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are empty nesters and we're thinking about moving from Minnesota to Greenville in the near future but are very unfamiliar with the area. We love the warm weather and the friendly, laidback personality of South Carolina.

Are there any nice areas/suburbs with cute little downtowns? We are looking for an area where we could walk to coffee shops and restraunts within a half hour. We would like to be close to downtown Greenville if possible.

The most important criteria is that it has a "tucked in" feeling with lots of trees, cute stores, and neighborhood coffee shops. We also LOVE walking paths and parks. Would Mauldin, Simpsonville, downtown Greenville or some other neighborhood fit the bill? Are there any areas to cross off our list right away?

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM

156 posts, read 332,128 times
...just a thought but why would you move anywhere without first doing thorough research? Certainly not from a magazine's description?????

and are you an "empty nester" meaing your children have grown up or are you childless???

Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
...just a thought but why would you move anywhere without first doing thorough research? Certainly not from a magazine's description?????

and are you an "empty nester" meaing your children have grown up or are you childless???
they are doing research, that is why they are here, lol .

Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM

199 posts, read 492,809 times
Thumbs down Too Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post

It's too bad you can't take away Reputation points on this site.

Your comments seemed rude, abrasive and nosey all at the same time.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM

199 posts, read 492,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydonofrio View Post
My husband and I are empty nesters and we're thinking about moving from Minnesota to Greenville in the near future but are very unfamiliar with the area. We love the warm weather and the friendly, laidback personality of South Carolina.

Are there any nice areas/suburbs with cute little downtowns? We are looking for an area where we could walk to coffee shops and restraunts within a half hour. We would like to be close to downtown Greenville if possible.

The most important criteria is that it has a "tucked in" feeling with lots of trees, cute stores, and neighborhood coffee shops. We also LOVE walking paths and parks. Would Mauldin, Simpsonville, downtown Greenville or some other neighborhood fit the bill? Are there any areas to cross off our list right away?

Downtown Greer is nice. Plus they have about 3 big festivals a year down there. (Octoberfest, Wing Ding, Chili Cook off and some I can't think of right now).

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydonofrio View Post

I would say that given what you're looking for, downtown Greenville is your best bet. First of all, it's got your coffee shops, retail stores, and fantastic restaurants all within walking distance. Secondly, it's got several parks, walking trails, and lots of trees. I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for in terms of your actual residence, but the West End Historic District is probably a good place to start. It's got the smaller feel to it that you'd find in the suburbs, but the amenities and access that you won't come close to finding elsewhere...

Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 AM

36 posts, read 105,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Man View Post
It's too bad you can't take away Reputation points on this site.

Your comments seemed rude, abrasive and nosey all at the same time.

I disagree, read the posters previous posts. 22 years old is not an empty nester! And how can you be thinking of moving somewhere in the near future but not know anything about the place. Immaturity is my guess!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,993 times
I'd recommend McBee station in downtown Greenville.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 AM

27 posts, read 105,964 times
hey, check out bluestone cottages in taylors. boxwood, verdmont, and linden park in simpsonville. o'neal village in greer. most of all, however, the august road area in greenville would probably be closest to what you may be looking for. good luck!!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRedBull View Post
hey, check out bluestone cottages in taylors. boxwood, verdmont, and linden park in simpsonville. o'neal village in greer. most of all, however, the august road area in greenville would probably be closest to what you may be looking for. good luck!!
I completely agree with the Augusta Road area, including McDaniel Avenue, Faris Road, Crescent Avenue, etc. This neighborhood would likely be the best fit for the criteria provided in the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area