Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 05:47 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times

Advertisements

The Eagles Lyin' Eyes

The lyrics are:

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise

I thought the first line was: you can't hide your lionize. Because of that, the song never made sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:01 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
This thread is funny.....I see it went to places I had not imagined when I started it.

Hell, I'm still trying to decipher some of the Rolling Stone's lyrics !!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:17 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
This thread is hilarious! Thanks for all the laughs.

My fourth grade son came home from school one day singing, "Feelings are so filthy." This must have been a Mondegreen from his mental health unit.

I kept thinking they certainly can't be singing, "Just call me angel of the morning. Just cross my feet before you leave me."

And DH is notorious for shouting out, "TUNA HOTDOG!" at the beginning of "The Hustle." He also hears "Guantanamera" as "One ton of sparrows."

I don't know if prayers count or not but I remember a kid from my kindergarten Sunday School class raising his hand and asking the teacher why we say of our Father who art in heaven, "hell would be thy name."

Old 01-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
How funny! I lived 100 miles from Chicago, in IN, and listened to WLS. On a clear night I could pull in WABC from NYC. I would fall asleep with my ear on my AM transistor radio, only to wake up on stormy nights hearing static crackles coming from under the bed where the radio had fallen.
Good memories! WLS, KOMA, Oklahoma City and KAAY out of Little Rock, Arkansas that introduced this little white girl tucked up in bed to rhythm and blues. Thank you, Beaker Street.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This is a great thread. My dad said he always thought the hymn "Come ye before Him and rejoice" was "Come ye before him Henry Joyce." He had no idea who Henry Joyce was.

Oh, and not a song lyric, but how about "Tearalong, the Dotted Lion"?
Don't forget "Gladly, the Cross-eyed Bear."

Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 PM

Oh, somebody stop me. . .

Old 01-25-2018, 06:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Some classics mentioned already. A few more:

Steve Miller Band: it’s not “Chug-a-lug/It’s drivin’ me mad/It’s makin’ me crazy.” Instead, it’s “Jungle love/It’s drivin’ me mad/It’s makin’ me crazy.” Given that the song’s title is “Jungle Love,” that makes perfect sense.

The Rascals: the song “Groovin’” has the lines “Life would be ecstasy/You and me endlessly/Groovin’” and not “Life would be ecstasy/You and me and Leslie/Groovin’.” Always wondered who Leslie was until I realized this was just bad text setting.

The Beatles: It’s “The girl with kaleidoscope eyes,” not “The girl with colitis goes by” from the song “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”

Old 01-25-2018, 07:22 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I kept thinking they certainly can't be singing, "Just call me angel of the morning. Just cross my feet before you leave me."
I heard that particular line as ..."Just call me angel of the morning, angel. Just brush my teeth before you leave me, baby." Moreover, I STILL hear that line as I did the first time I heard it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bSXiZdDNaM

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 01-25-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Yup it was God Bless America.

Not a song but when I was small and said the Lord's Prayer, and got to the Hallowed be they name, I thought it was Howard be they name, and I would say God has the same last name as me, since Howard was my maiden name. the adults always got a good laugh over that one.
You aren't alone in that.

Rev. Dr. Schuler of the crystal cathedral ( grandpa) said when he was a small child his father asked him what he learned in Sunday School. He answered that he learned God's name. His father asked him what he meant. He said when they learned the Lord's prayer, that God's name was Howard because they said "Howard be thy name"!!!

I never learned it that way. I learned it as "halloWED be thy name" instead of "Hallow'd" .

Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 PM

604 posts, read 839,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i've got other lyrics for "eminence front" but can't post them here other than to say "everything's f......" and you'll never convince me that's not what they were going for
I thought "eminence front" was "living in a swamp"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement