Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:57 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

The bug factor. We don’t really have a bug problem. Mosquitos can be a factor in June in the high country. Yellow Jackets in some campgrounds. Otherwise nothing. Sit on our front porch or back deck, no issues where our house is located.

I’ve been in the South and Midwest and the bug issue would really impact quality of life for me. I will say that fireflys are really cool tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:03 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
WOW, lots of bug stories in the U.S!

We retired to the equator. In our location on the beach, no bugs at all. I'm grateful.

A dead body did wash up on shore the other day, though. Drowned fisherman.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:58 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
I've lived in the Tucson area for 35 years. When I moved here from DC I was amazed that I could be outside, day or night, and never get a mosquito bite. Sometime in the 90's that changed in town. Some think the wetlands they created were the cause. When I lived in town, I saw occasional black widows, had one ant invasion in 20 years, saw one poisonous (to dogs) toad, occasional sewer roaches. I hiked in the nearby mountains for ten years and neither I nor my dogs ever got ticks or fleas. In the early 2000's I moved to a very rural area at a slightly higher altitude. Mosquitoes are rarely a problem here. Rattlesnakes cross my yard from time to time, and that is a concern with my dogs. But thus far no bites, even when a silly dog ran up to one, sniffed it, and then jumped over it. I don't use pesticides for health reasons and I have had to get used to a lot more bugs than in town. I have become interested in observing their behaviors. Who knew that centipedes, even 8" long bright orange ones, could be herded, right up to my feet. Scorpions scare me, but I do know they eat the noisy crickets so I try hard not to hate them too much. The only bugs I absolutely cannot tolerate at all are Kissing Bugs. They take a lot of blood and the bites itch for a long time. I don't think they perform any useful function at all. I built my house so that termites couldn't cause much damage but forgot about baseboards and door frames, so they found a couple of them. I got the in-ground bait system put in and so no additional damage.

For a while I really wanted to move to Ft. Collins and had heard there were fewer bugs there. But now that I'm older, I am finding I feel cold a lot, and don't want to walk on snow, so maybe I will just stay here but move back into town or to a senior community. I guess I'm sort of used to the local bugs. Kissing bugs are localized to certain areas, and I hope not to land in their area again.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 AM

34 posts, read 59,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Yes, I consider bugs, scorpions, snakes, etc. Probably why I'm having such a hard time figuring out where to move in retirement! Those issues, in addition to tornadoes, humidity, flooding, fires, blizzards, etc. make the entire country look terrifying compared to where I am now in the Pacific NW. Only have to worry about earthquakes and Rainier erupting here! Not even any mosquitoes.
HA HA Unicorn Hunter... creepy crawlies (bugs, spiders, & snakes) in addition to humidity are factoring into my decision to relocate. I am not sure anywhere is safe!

Old 01-29-2018, 04:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Our oldest son went to college in Miami. During his sophomore year a gecko (or other small lizard) found its way into their dorm room. They boys immediately swiped a saucer from the cafeteria so the little guy would have a source of fresh water in their dorm room. We later asked why the wanted the animal in their room and they replied "Since the gecko moved in we never have bugs in our dorm room!"

Old 01-29-2018, 05:26 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
My son is outside Montgomery Alabama I expected not to be able to sit outside at night due to the horrible mosquitoes we ran into at night in Tunica Miss, while visiting. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to sit out every night without using sprays as the small wooded area next to his house is a nesting place for bats. They kept the mosquitoes at bay.

He does get the property sprayed as there are ants and last year was bad for wasps. He had hives all over.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I've lived in the Tucson area for 35 years. When I moved here from DC I was amazed that I could be outside, day or night, and never get a mosquito bite. Sometime in the 90's that changed in town. Some think the wetlands they created were the cause. When I lived in town, I saw occasional black widows, had one ant invasion in 20 years, saw one poisonous (to dogs) toad, occasional sewer roaches. I hiked in the nearby mountains for ten years and neither I nor my dogs ever got ticks or fleas. In the early 2000's I moved to a very rural area at a slightly higher altitude. Mosquitoes are rarely a problem here. Rattlesnakes cross my yard from time to time, and that is a concern with my dogs. But thus far no bites, even when a silly dog ran up to one, sniffed it, and then jumped over it. I don't use pesticides for health reasons and I have had to get used to a lot more bugs than in town. I have become interested in observing their behaviors. Who knew that centipedes, even 8" long bright orange ones, could be herded, right up to my feet. Scorpions scare me, but I do know they eat the noisy crickets so I try hard not to hate them too much. The only bugs I absolutely cannot tolerate at all are Kissing Bugs. They take a lot of blood and the bites itch for a long time. I don't think they perform any useful function at all. I built my house so that termites couldn't cause much damage but forgot about baseboards and door frames, so they found a couple of them. I got the in-ground bait system put in and so no additional damage.

For a while I really wanted to move to Ft. Collins and had heard there were fewer bugs there. But now that I'm older, I am finding I feel cold a lot, and don't want to walk on snow, so maybe I will just stay here but move back into town or to a senior community. I guess I'm sort of used to the local bugs. Kissing bugs are localized to certain areas, and I hope not to land in their area again.
The veterinarians now have a vaccine to help dogs be less affected by rattlesnake venom. You might want to look into that to avoid a tragedy with your fur babies.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Bugs are worse in northern climates with lakes and ponds around than they are in warm-all-year regions. Summer in northern places turns into a feeding frenzy instead of a steadier, lower-grade presence.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
If you're looking into somewhere in the South, the higher in elevation you go, the better it gets. I went hiking plenty of times in western NC last summer above 3000' and was very rarely bothered. Down here at 1200' at the municipal trail behind my office, it is much worse.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
And...bugs are everywhere, including the desert, unless you live in a heavily urbanized area.

Just a few of the bugs that exist in dry regions: yellowjackets, paper wasps, chinch beetles, dung beetles, several kinds of biting flies, kissing bugs, cedar gnats, moths, ticks, locusts, grasshoppers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement