Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Anything silver and gold is worth money. Solid silver is worth even more, such as solid silver knives and forks, etc.
Most of that stuff is not solid silver. It is a thin plating of silver over pot metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I have found sterling silver spoons in thrift stores for as little as $.10. because no one bothered to clean it and see what it was.

I DO like the old stuff, I moved into an apt that is part of a house from 1852, with fireplace, mahogany paneling, hardwood floors. I moved in with a futon and the dishes. Over the last year I have furnished it, mostly from thrift stores, with vintage pieces that complement the space. No pressboard, particleboard, cheap furniture. Aside from mattresses, everything was bought used. I don't think I have spent $1000 yet.

I love living the past, a lot of good stuff happened then.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Many people buy at estate sales, yard sales, etc. They sell the same items on eBay at higher prices, often much higher prices.

Antiques and collectibles are doing just fine; some categories are exploding.

I love estate and yard sales because I pay such low prices.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
When we moved from a 2200sf 2 story home with basement to a 1700sf single story home w/o basement we sent about 1/2 of what we owned to auction.

We got a kick out of the auctioneers. They came and looked at what we sending to them and told us they would bring the "big truck". They did. And they filled it. And they brought the "smaller truck" the next day. We ended up bringing our barbecue grill with us because it wouldn't fit.

This after I made numerous trips to the landfill.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
An item being old does not mean it has value. My grandmother has this “record player that is a piece of furniture.” She was convinced it was antique. I found the model # on the unit and its worth about $150.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:13 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
MIL passed a few months ago and now we are tasked with going thru the various collections she has. There 4 large curios full of stuff to deal with. And now I'm dealing with DH waffling over what to do with it all. I have nightmares of a cramped house full of furniture and knick knacks I don't like. That I have to dust. I'm of the opinion that if it lives at my house it has to have a purpose. Even if that's just that I love seeing it. I learned to make deviled eggs (that rock) because I ended up with a fun carnival glass egg plate.

Unfortunately not much of this stuff or my mom's a few years ago was marked if it was a family heirloom and not just a thrift store treasure. And how many doilies does one house even need?

Old 02-03-2018, 04:33 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
First of all, the people staging the event are probably the same companies that advertise on TV that they buy gold and silver. They pay almost nothing. Watch out for them, and never sell to them. They will assume that a goodly number of people will just sell at their price, having made the trip, rather than lug it all back home again an still be stuck with it.

My first suggestion would be to take it to a jeweler who also sells gold coins, and have them appraise just how much actual gold and silver content you have, by weight. Tell them you want an insurance appraisal, not that you want to sell. . Gold is currently running around US$1300, silver US$16. Up to the minute price on the internet, for example at kitco.com.

Next, take it to an antique shop, to see if it has any antique value, above its intrinsic gold or silver value. Most things don't -- they are either commonplace, or too badly warn or damaged to get high dollar.

Then, if you want, take it to your road show, and see what they offer. My bet is it will be lowest offer. They are expert con men, and they do not stage these shows for the benefit and convenience of people like you.

If you actually have anything of value, say several hundred dollars, it would bed worth your while some Saturday to hop in your car and drive around to a few antiques shops, and see what people tell you. You might stumble across one who would just like to add some interesting inventory.

I sort of hate to suggest this, but if you have any neighbors or acquaintances of, say, the shady persuasion, chances are they might know how to "get rid" of things of value, and might make the best offer .

Old 02-03-2018, 04:51 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,324,825 times
I collect specific autographs.

I Have a sizeable set of US Presidential 1st editions (All purchased through reputable dealers and PSA.DNA authentications) They go back to Woodrow Wilson. And, Photos going back to William Howard Taft. I do not have JFK because he died early and his memorabilia is in the several thousand dollar range, and I won't buy obama stuff (too much money for a charactasure appearing autograph

My other big collection is WWll, specifically Enola Gay and Bockscar books and signed memorabilia. I had the pleasure of meeting, and spending considerable time, with many of the crew members; specifically General Paul Tibbets and Major "Dutch" Van Kirk. My piece de resistance is a lithograph of the Enola Gay and a Picture of the Bockscar signed by every crew member, including the weapons armorers.

My kids could give a rat's ass about them, but they do know that everything in the glass fronted shelf on my bookcase is worth a fortune.

We also have a large silver and gold with turquoise antique Navajo and Zuni jewelry stash (Many are museum quality) that MrsM still gets great pleasure wearing. My kids and grandkids don't like any of it, but know it doesn't go to Goodwill. In our family trust, I list respected dealers and appraisers that will help our kids

One of our best friends died 2 years ago. His kids were begging people to take silver, gold and porcelain items that they collected for over 50 years. As we left the house, I told Mrs that that was a preview of coming attractions. Kids today are not interested in our 3 sets of sterling tableware and European Jewelry that we inherited from our family- That's why we bought a 2nd gun safe and a larger safe deposit box

I guess that when we are both dead, it wont matter to us anymore

Old 02-03-2018, 05:30 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I’m living in the house my son’s dad grew up in & he is 61. His father passed away in the 1980’s, his mother about 10 years ago.

Now I know where he gets his hoarding tendencies from.

I’ve managed to clear the entire upstairs for actual living space for myself & the 3 youngest kids still at home. The basement? There is an entire room downstairs that I have never been in. And the unattached garage out back?

OMG. It initially looked like it was floor to ceiling junk in there. Not even a pathway. Turns out? Underneath it all was a 1956 Ford Fairlane! Mac has managed to “excavate” it. He’s “going to restore it”. Sure he is.

There is an interesting looking Grandfather clock downstairs. And a “machine” that really intrigued the younger kids:

“Mom! What is THAT?” “Ah; that is called ... a Typewriter!”

Some still unopened, in the box, Avon perfume & cologne collectors edition decanters. Some autographed sports memorabilia. Boxes full of “I haven’t a clue”.

Thing is; I don’t perceive an emotional attachment on Macs part to the majority of this stuff but the “market” for these items tend to be out of my league due to being somewhat specialized. For example; I know that there are “coveted” magazine editions. Certain publications, years, famous artwork or historical events, etc. But I haven’t a clue as to what’s what.

And there are hundreds. Literally hundreds, of magazines. Still with the original coupon inserts ... Some of them I recognized & rescued but still, they are just sitting here. Right now, I’m looking at a “Life” magazine, dated November 29, 1963 titled “President John F Kennedy 1917-1963”. Another “Life” magazine, dated August 28, 1964, titled “The Beatles!” & a March 14, 1961 “Look” Magazine titled “Ingrid Bergman”. And so many more.

To complicate matters, Mac’s mom unfortunately suffered from Alzheimer’s & when they first remodeled after she passed away, they were finding money, literally stacks of cash, found in odd places like the oven. There are several jewelry items missing that have never been recovered. If those were found I’m sure Mac & his 2 siblings would split those up.

And some odds & ends that surely no one will want but that I certainly won’t be throwing away: A 1938 Hutchinson High School (Hutchinson, Kansas) yearbook?

Old 02-03-2018, 05:50 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

And some odds & ends that surely no one will want but that I certainly won’t be throwing away: A 1938 Hutchinson High School (Hutchinson, Kansas) yearbook?
Send it to the Hutchinson Public Library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement