Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times

Advertisements

My Dad is 88 and lives in a large 3bd, 2 1/2 bath, full basement and large machine shop detached. There are some things I know he wants me to have like a grand father clock, no longer made, ( my brother already has one),I really don't want it. Then the French clock, ( my Mom started collecting antique clocks), I have the one I wanted which is brass. it will be with most things in the house, already went through some of Mom's collectibles from her curio when she passed in 2007.

I live in a 3 bd 2 bath house on the property, but plan on moving back to CA to be near family and know I won't be in a 3/2 in CA. won't be able to afford that. The German China, crystal, antique bookcase, etc. I just don't know what I will do with all this stuff. I didn't tell him I don't want the large GF clock.

Not to mention the stuff in the basement....fishing gear, bowling gear, etc. The machine shop will be handled by my brother as he is now a knife maker, like my Dad and both are machinists.

I've offered many times to just clean out this shelf in the basement or some space. He says no. I'm free to take whatever I want right now. It's not cluttered nor messy, just a lot of things. He's not attached to most just says, "have fun when I'm gone" My Mom use to say the same thing.

So there will be 4 options, me, my brother, sell, give away or and trash. And the older I get the more I dread this unfortunate ordeal that will come in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Think about it...

No one really has to do anything with these burdens... nothing more than calling a liquidator or line up dumpsters... amazing what can go into a 30 yard dumpster... I know, bought a home from a hoarder and the family wanted nothing... took about 5 days to clear home and yard... about 150 yards of rubbish...

I was there but really no need... cost $2500 for a broom swept property.... it was a very good buy and in large part due to the volume of junk left behind...

Does anyone think Property Managers or Public Storage Companies have problems disposing of things?

One of the local Public Storage has never lost a dime on junk... each Saturday they hold an auction to dispose of items in units in arrears... all they do is cut the lock... roll open the door and start the bidding... the "Winner" has until 5 the next day to clear or start paying storage... again, never lost any rent as people bid hundreds of dollars for the contents.

My point is there is always somebody willing to buy stuff... at least in major metro areas...

Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I have all my Father's trains (my husband's too) ... so tired of storing them.

No one wants the stuff. While cleaning out my mother's house, I took "the china tea set" my great aunt had painted--only because I knew no one wanted to dispose of it. Nobody wanted it. It is not safe to drink from--lead. So...I kept the creamer and threw all the rest away. I have no regrets... Another year or so, I will probably dispose of the creamer.
Usually hand-painted china is painted on the outside, not the inside of the serving pieces like teacups, creamers, and teapots. The paint would have been fired on, too, so using it would present no danger.

Sorry you didn't just donate the tea set to the nearest thrift shop, or sell it at auction and donate the proceeds to charity..

Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
My Dad is 88 and lives in a large 3bd, 2 1/2 bath, full basement and large machine shop detached. There are some things I know he wants me to have like a grand father clock, no longer made, ( my brother already has one),I really don't want it. Then the French clock, ( my Mom started collecting antique clocks), I have the one I wanted which is brass. it will be with most things in the house, already went through some of Mom's collectibles from her curio when she passed in 2007.

I live in a 3 bd 2 bath house on the property, but plan on moving back to CA to be near family and know I won't be in a 3/2 in CA. won't be able to afford that. The German China, crystal, antique bookcase, etc. I just don't know what I will do with all this stuff. I didn't tell him I don't want the large GF clock.

Not to mention the stuff in the basement....fishing gear, bowling gear, etc. The machine shop will be handled by my brother as he is now a knife maker, like my Dad and both are machinists.

I've offered many times to just clean out this shelf in the basement or some space. He says no. I'm free to take whatever I want right now. It's not cluttered nor messy, just a lot of things. He's not attached to most just says, "have fun when I'm gone" My Mom use to say the same thing.

So there will be 4 options, me, my brother, sell, give away or and trash. And the older I get the more I dread this unfortunate ordeal that will come in my future.
Check with Replacements, Unlimited in North Carolina to see if they can take the china and crystal off your hands. You wouldn't get much, but it would be gone.

A local auction company that sells antiques could handle the clocks and bookcase, and might even pick them up and haul them off.

Old fishing gear can be very collectible. Check eBay. Lures are in high demand. Bowling shoes and jackets might do well in a vintage clothing shop.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Sorry you didn't just donate the tea set to the nearest thrift shop, or sell it at auction and donate the proceeds to charity..
I am not sorry. As I said, it was not safe and I did not want an unknowing person to use it. We called all kinds of places to take the "stuff" from my mother's. As the OP said, no one wants it. My friend is trying to get rid of a nice old piano--amazingly, no one wants it. No charities, no habitat for humanity. Pretty shocking.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That is my goal..
5 years ago I lived in 3500 sqft
Now 2000 sqft is bigger than I need.

My son & his girlfriend lived in a truck for a year as they traveled & explored.
Had a large dog, kayaking, rock climbing & snowboarding gear. Cooked amazing meals
with just a few essentials. Watching them made me realize how little we actually need.
My house is 720 sf, but the one room, a quarter of it, is just got 'stuff' in it. I plan to readd that room and set it up after I get the floor painted, mostly so I'll have a place for the stuff I use which sits in the living room. But having lived in a smaller place I don't see me really wanting to have a bigger one.

For some months, I was living out of my car, back when I lived in California, and when I did get a room, I took all my stuff and was astonished at how little there was. When I look at it now, most of the stuff is from hobbies which do matter, but most of those stay in the box unless needed. My next project is shelves to hold such things so they are easy to find.

My house would be much neater with easy to find storage of the things I keep and use, but because I do use them they tend to end up out and sometimes scattered as the are in use.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
After my dad came out of the hospital he had a home visits by a physical therapist who said she paid for her daughter's housing in university by selling stuff on ebay. She went to yard sales and estate sales and sold on ebay. It sounded great to me but she had a whole business around it- with a barn for storage and it took a regular work day worth of hours to research items and price them.

I asked her what sold and what didn't. In her area old quality fishing reels were the money makers next to antique tools/ farm equipment and americana stuff. Small unique knick-knacks sold well to other countries but general or antique housewares- especially kitchen items and dishware were impossible to move.

Yes, it seems no one wants that nice old china anymore.

The only thing my husband and I ever made money on was magic the gathering cards. We made a bit of money from those- broke more than even but again it was a pain to store and heft boxes of them around. For collectibles like cards they need to be shipped carefully so the buyer can't complain about wear.
Gee after a bunch of moves and not being able to bring some stuff I'd certainly use, I have hardly any plates or bowls or silverware. I'd love to find where I can buy relatively cheap a few sets instead of the random collection I ended up with. Ditto for glasses, especially the metal ones I had but can't find. The inexpensive ones you find in stores now are all just plastic. I'd also take china.

My usual is fix dinner in one pan, shovel it all into a large cup or plate and take it and a spoon to the couch and watch tv while eating.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That might be worth posting on Ebay!
Just checked. One listing, $6.99.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Gee after a bunch of moves and not being able to bring some stuff I'd certainly use, I have hardly any plates or bowls or silverware. I'd love to find where I can buy relatively cheap a few sets instead of the random collection I ended up with. Ditto for glasses, especially the metal ones I had but can't find.
The thrift shops are full of sets of very nice china and silverware.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
This thread has motivated me to make some Goodwill donations

I used to watch the hoarding show on TV because it made me want to be a
minimalist haha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement