Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The same way I deal with someone who asks me how big my dick is.
People ask you that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
That would be my guess, as well. Someone trying to make ends meet may be wanting to pick your brain for tips or info that they may be able to use for themselves.
Yes, I think this is true for many. I understand curiosity, it's just the disappearance of manners that confounds me.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
People ask you that?
After 50 we men have to ask ourselves that question. We forget.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
The only times I have encountered it, is when one perceives something is out of whack age and/or lifestyle wise.

Once you turn 65, nobody seems to care.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
When you get to be a certain age, money and wealth become less important than the present and near future.
Indeed.

When you get to a certain age, money and wealth are less important than knowing where the closest restroom is.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
People ask you that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
After 50 we men have to ask ourselves that question. We forget.
Have you ever seen Monty Python's Life of Brian?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
That would be my guess, as well. Someone trying to make ends meet may be wanting to pick your brain for tips or info that they may be able to use for themselves.
They may not have had a plan and were around others who didn’t. They may well want to know what could have worked.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I've never had anyone ask me about money. It's a rude question like discussing religion or politics with people you don't know. But money is more off limits than almost anything else. Most people have done as well as they could. They worked, planned, saved, did their best. After they're retired, there isn't that much more they can do, so why would they be asking anyone about their money at this point?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:21 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i have never had anyone ask me about amounts of money in conversation . i have had them ask me for advice or what i invest in but nothing pertaining about amounts .

where appropriate i have never been shy about talking about numbers . in many forums like the early retirement forum actual numbers are discussed all the time . i have done articles for money magazine and fidelity investment magazine which splattered our financial information both in print and on the cnn website to millions of people . but we found no reason it had to be hush hush where it was appropriate to discuss personal finances.

when money magazine first asked us if they could do a feature article , my wife and i discussed it and our reaction was hell no .

then we thought about it and we could not come up with one valid reason why we shouldn't do the article . people discuss their wildest fantasy's and illicit affairs with strangers but heaven forbid someone knows anything about their money .

were we living a lifestyle lie and we did not want anyone to know ? no

were long lost relatives going to seek us out ? no

were our friends not going to be our friends ? no and most are wealthy themselves or if not they just don't care much about anyone else's money

was i going to get kidnapped and held for ransom ? highly unlikely , i am such high maintenance and needy they would pay to return me .

were charities going to call ? maybe

in the end we said , this is silly not doing the article , when we thought about the reasons for not displaying the info we had not one valid reason , so we did it .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-20-2018 at 02:40 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
A lot depends on how old you look and how familiar people are with you. We got it from service providers who saw our house realized we had free time in our schedule and the ability to pay.

Just got it from the supervisor of having two complete HVAC systems installed. Started when he asked the one guy if we had signed the financing forms. He was told they were just suppose to suppose to give us the packet. I explained there was no financing. It reached actual discussion when trying to schedule another day for them to come back and change something and I said we were open. He explained later he would probably be found dead in a crawl space. I have heard it before.

With so much talk about a retirement crisis and seniors on fixed income etc etc.

Last edited by TuborgP; 02-20-2018 at 05:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement