Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:47 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I do read the NY Times obits every few days & take notice of all those I remember in some way passing within a few years of my age, funny how it's more & more! My mother is still alive in her 90's but my father died just into his 70's so the genes are unclear.

"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately... Whatever can happen at any time can happen today.” - Seneca

"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." - The Doors

Thank you for these quotes. Have not heard them before. Very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
well right now time is dragging by -

I am seriously considering getting a real job instead of just subbing.

There is nothing I want to do around the house. I'm done with all the "hobbies"

I do volunteer stuff, but that generally costs me a bit. I'm a sucker for someone that needs something. LOL

I have a friend that is constantly on the go. I used to think that she was nuts, but now I see that it helps her keep her sanity.

At 75+, I can tell you how fast the time goes. While you are going through "it", there are times when it feels like "it" will last forever. But it doesn't.

In conversation with some neighbors, I was recalling something that happened in 1975. Then it startled me, how long ago was that?? How old was I then? For a minute I couldn't "compute" that it was 40+ years time! Am I really that old?

You might be a little "stuck" right now, time dragging, etc. Once you are back in motion, it will fly.

Meanwhile, be good to yourself and try to enjoy each day for what it is.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:42 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
At 75+, I can tell you how fast the time goes. While you are going through "it", there are times when it feels like "it" will last forever. But it doesn't.

In conversation with some neighbors, I was recalling something that happened in 1975. Then it startled me, how long ago was that?? How old was I then? For a minute I couldn't "compute" that it was 40+ years time! Am I really that old?

You might be a little "stuck" right now, time dragging, etc. Once you are back in motion, it will fly.

Meanwhile, be good to yourself and try to enjoy each day for what it is.
I'm trying!

Old 03-04-2018, 02:16 PM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Not arguing at all, but I didn't know that aunts counted that much. I suppose aunts could, especially if your 90+ aunts share genes with your 90+ grandmother. (unless the 90+ aunts are not offspring of your 90+ grandmother, but even so might increase good chances, though it helps to know when parents passed away). Aunt, meaning a sister of your mother or a sister of your father?

At what age did your parents and siblings pass away? (if you have some and any are deceased or how long have they lived to) only if you feel like saying, of course.
The aunts I mentioned are my mother's sisters, so there is a genetic connection. I have another aunt in her 90s, but she is an aunt by marriage so I left her out. Her husband, my genetic uncle, lived to be 92.

My mother "only" lived to be 81, but had emphysema from a liftetime of heavy smoking. She had high blood pressure and congestive heart failure, her diet was appalling, she didn't exercise, she let herself get fat and in general she didn't take very good care of her health.

The same was true of my father except for the smoking. His own father lived to 79 despite four heart attacks, but Dad only lived a few weeks past his 73rd birthday. I feel that they both would have lived much longer if not for their poor lifestyle choices.

I had a brother who only lived to be 45, but I didn't mention him because he was an alcoholic and drank himself to death. I don't think that his early death will have an effect on my own longevity.

Because my immediate family made poor lifestyle choices and/or didn't take care of themselves, I think my own longevity will be closer to that of my aunts and uncle. But of course genetics plays a part, and though I do all I can to stay fit and healthy, genetics is something I have no control over.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 03-04-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,902 times
AM ready to go, but do not necessarily want to be on the next bus out. When I find my self feeling morbid, I will read "fluff" type book, plan a road trip or a cruise.....anything to divert my thoughts. Too much other to do or think about.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM

310 posts, read 203,058 times
Belatedly just discovered a childhood friend passed away at age 56 in 2014. Hadn't seen him since 1968, but it was still a very sobering discovery. He was a year younger than me. No cause given. My brother passed away last year at 68. These lives now seem such brief forays. On the other hand I have an aunt (not blood related) that just turned 90, and she feels she still has a long way to go!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
The aunts I mentioned are my mother's sisters, so there is a genetic connection. I have another aunt in her 90s, but she is an aunt by marriage so I left her out. Her husband, my genetic uncle, lived to be 92.

My mother "only" lived to be 81, but had emphysema from a liftetime of heavy smoking. She had high blood pressure and congestive heart failure, her diet was appalling, she didn't exercise, she let herself get fat and in general she didn't take very good care of her health.

The same was true of my father except for the smoking. His own father lived to 79 despite four heart attacks, but Dad only lived a few weeks past his 73rd birthday. I feel that they both would have lived much longer if not for their poor lifestyle choices.

I had a brother who only lived to be 45, but I didn't mention him because he was an alcoholic and drank himself to death. I don't think that his early death will have an effect on my own longevity.

Because my immediate family made poor lifestyle choices and/or didn't take care of themselves, I think my own longevity will be closer to that of my aunts and uncle. But of course genetics plays a part, and though I do all I can to stay fit and healthy, genetics is something I have no control over.
My parents smoking habit left me with a lower than normal ability to breath deeply. Our house and probably us reeked of them. Dad never tried to quit. Mom was going to try just before she died very suddenly from an anurism on the blood supply to the heart. Right in front of Dad and I. Dad lived a few more years despite the slowly spreading cancer, the tumor hidden where it didn't show. But it had interrupted the blood flow to his brain and he had forgotten most of his adult life. He quit caring when she died.

I'm sure my Dad would not have been so bad off if the doctor had LISTENED to his complaints about the numbness and dizzyness. But he was a old man to them. He wasn't coherant a lot of times. No need to listen. I wish he'd talked about it to me. We (me and friend) would have come out and talked to the doctor long before. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference, but maybe he'd have at least been able to know his daughter (and friend) had come to help. For mom, she felt tired and had headaches, and had a doctor's appointment. But she died when the anurism in her brain burst before the appointment. But she had her mind. I don't know what would be the worse, but I think I'd rather just 'suddenly die' over losing everything which is me in slow incriments.

I think about that a lot. My medical journey hasn't been easy and won't get better, but it has left my mind alone. Pretty much trashed a lot of plans once I became realistic, but sometimes I only ask that in this life I've learned sufficent it will be one filled with peace and the joy at the end.

I was really sick for several years, but came to understand that I learned how to let go of the negative and accept the lessons it have given.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:48 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think we have another 100 yrs, but skeptical about the country being better with each day - especially this past year. There becomes a time eventually in each of our lives to be content with the present and not worry about the future. Many of us did our share of worrying during our professional years in our jobs/careers. Now it's time for other generations to take the handoff. I feel like we're giving them a country is worse shape than what we were given. During my last chapters of my book, I refuse to dwell too much on it -
They dont care, more and more are living in vans and choosing to enjoy life anyways .... without debt.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,941,713 times
On Tuesday I was part of a conference call where the discussion moved to amperage capacities of electrical cables and power requirements of 480 Volt 3 phase motors (engineer stuff). We didn't have any EE's on the call so I reached into my briefcase and pulled out a cardboard reference tool I have used for years which quickly provides that information, as opposed to looking at multiple tables in the National Electrical Code.

The copyright date on my quick and easy reference tool is 1981.

Others on the call weren't even born yet when my tool was printed.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
... tool is 1981.

Others on the call weren't even born yet when my tool was printed.
Yes, I understand. When younger coworkers asked me how long I'd been at my hospital, I told them "On and off four times since 1981," and most hadn't been born yet. I shuddered to tell them I'd worked for ten years before that, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement