Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times

Advertisements

I don't think about it, it is what it is. I just have made sure everything is in order and when it is time, it is a quiet and quick exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 02:16 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's interesting that so many think because someone or several in one's family lived to 92 or 95, that means almost automatically they can expect to live that long too.
Aren’t you just a big ol’ warm ray of sunshine!

Old 04-03-2018, 11:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I'm 71 in great health and feel terrific. My knees are bad but that's about the only complaint I have. My parents died at 66 & 69 but not from age related disease. My Aunts and Great Aunts on both sides of my family have lived to be between 94 and 104 so I think there's a good chance that I will be around for awhile.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:34 AM

24,627 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Occasionally the mortality of being human crosses my mind. I think, "damn all this will be over one day."

Then I think about the lion or tiger, who isn't aware of its own mortality, and its only purpose is to survive and reproduce.

Similar concept, just keep going, survive. Don't think about the mortality aspect and if you do, quickly move on. We don't know when that day will come. We live in a world where folks in church are not even safe from a deranged lunatic going in there and shooting up the place.

Mortality is a tough pill to swallow but as humans, we simply can't let it cripple us from living fulfilling lives. Ironically I feel a bit sorry for billionaires, all that money and they can't take it with them.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:48 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Every day you don't contemplate your own death, consider it a totally wasted day!

I contemplate my upcoming death every single day and it's very energizing.

Hard for Americans, as the U.S. is the Fear of Dying Capital of the World!

Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
I don't think about it too deeply nor dwell upon it. I just had a conversation a couple of days ago with a 93 year old relative and we talked about death and it centered on the fact that nobody knows when death will happen, that an airplane can go over our home and loose a wheel that crashes through the roof and we're dead as a result...just like that.

Better things than death to think about .
My late husband was obsessed by death, and terrified of it too, and yet at the age of 63, he committed suicide. I don't know if his obsession was a causative factor but I suspect that this (dying by his own hand) had always been his long-range plan.

My point is, I don't think we can find joy in life if we give too much thought to death.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's interesting that so many think because someone or several in one's family lived to 92 or 95, that means almost automatically they can expect to live that long too.
It does seem to increase the odds. Obviously there are no guarantees. The reverse is worse; I knew a guy whose father and grandfather died young of heart failure and so did he. I used to tell him he shouldn't worry because we have medical care that has improved so much and because he knew of the genetic predisposition he was staying on top of it. Shook me up when he died.
It does make me feel good that my dad is alive, reasonably healthy (lives at home in a regular neighborhood) and turns 89 this year. My mom made it into the 80s but did not fare as well the last few years.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:18 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
In some strange way I am looking forward to the experience of leaving this experience and finding out what will happen.

Am I afraid of death....of course....part of the experience.

I don't know what else to say.

I am healthy, relatively young at 62, alone a lot of the time, no family, good friends, have had so many life experiences good and not so good,

I do not know...maybe I will be so scared I will be hiding under the bed.

Tonight. I am OK with it. I just want to leave this life knowing that those I care about I have left them with something good. Also the ones that did not care about me...I still left them with something good...even if it was to kick them in the ass.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Yes, but until I was 53 or 54 I never thought about it at all. When you are young, you think you have plenty of time to do whatever you want to do. It wasn't till my mid 50s that I realized that my time was running out and that no, I don't have all the time in the world like I thought I did.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:37 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
I am 69 and my husband is 85. He'll be 86 next month.
I was born late in my mothers life (49) and my childhood memories are funerals. Everyone was dying, grandparents, aunts, uncles...my father at age 54. I was only 6 and have vague memories of him.

Death surrounds me in a strange way now. Having watched my husband age is disturbing, almost angers me. I keep trying to make him what he was just 10 years ago. His memory is going He walks with a shuffle, slowly.
His personality has changed. I don't like him anymore. I know it is age but it scares me. I find I don't know how to relate to him anymore. I feel like I'm living a nightmare I can't wake from.

My mother died suddenly at age 78. Brain aneurysm. She was healthy as a horse, full of energy and fun. I found out later she was doing an Irish *** on a table at a New Years Eve party. I had no idea. Her friends told me she was dancing and everyone clapping when the table collapsed. She never told me but had the aneurysm a week later. Don't know if they were related.

My brothers both died at 72 and 74. One from lung cancer (smoker) and the other a heart attack. My one brother who died from the heart attack was a health nut. Exercised, only ate organic and no meat. Only fish he caught himself. Mostly a vegetarian. I was stunned.

So again, the people I loved the most all died within 5 years of each other.

So, I now watch my husband who is not the man I have lived with for almost 50 years. He's become a stranger, I have become his 'mother'. I have to remind him of everything, watch him do everything.

So far I'm healthy, but I fear I only have a few years. I fear my husband will require more care over time and it will deplete what money we have. I will be alone and dependent on my children.

Aging is making me so depressed. I never envisioned this. I thought after he retired, we'd travel, do things we never had time for. Now, that is not possible. I hope I live long enough to take care of my husband and then let me die like my mother.
She always said, 'I hope I die fast, if I can't take care of myself, just take a 22 and put me out of my misery.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement