Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,250 times

Advertisements

Ive heard of retired folks 'selling the Farm' and everything else, to go RVing full time. Sometimes with no home base at all. Im wondering if anyone in here has done such a brazen thing and how is it working out for you ? What challenges do u face living on the road full time, and, does boredom set in often ? Any tips, suggestions, for the transition between selling the Farm, and, heading out in the RV ? thanks alot. David.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
We have not done it yet but soon. Congrads on your new adventure. I can not think of a greater way to enjoy life while full timing it.

We take off quite often and never get bored. Of course going away a bunch of long weekends are easier then being cooped up 24/7 but we are not worried about it.

We will be doing some workamping for a while so that will erase any bordom.

There are way too many things to see and do in this USA. We are only restricted by the price of gas.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
We are still years away from retirement, but we have given full-timing quite a bit of thought. The previous poster gave the upsides; such as experiencing the freedom to roam and explore this great country of ours. Workamping also lets you barter your skills for an RV site with hookups (and sometimes a paycheck).

The downsides we saw are: RV's differ from houses (generally) in that they depreciate over time. While you may be able to afford that sweet Class A rig now, what happens when she gets old and it's time for a replacement? What do you do when you take ill (as people tend to do)? I can't imagine recuperating from "some illness" and spending all my time in an RV bed. Same thing applies when the RV needs repair. If it's something that requires several days to fix (tranny, delamination, etc.), you'll be disrupted from "your home".

I don't abhor the idea of full-timing. There's just a lot of details to consider before being swept up in the positives.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Oh yeah, check out iRV2.com - RV information for all types of RV'ers. as this is a great website for RV'ers. Be sure to check out the forums; many great categories and there is one dedicated to Full-Timing.

Last edited by Stripes17; 04-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: info

Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 PM

42 posts, read 172,094 times
Default It's never boring

I've been retired for six years and fulltime RVing for three years. One thing for sure, it is never boring. There are so many choices. One can pursue whatever one wants. I've met folks whose passion is golf. They travel all over just to play different courses.

There is an endless amount of activity. You can enjoy the outdoors or spend some days lazying around. Some people sew, make quilts, whittle, make lamps, etc. You can RV and follow whatever hobbies or business you want. And you can stay only in great weather while pursuing your interests.

For couples, they must enjoy each other's company and share interests to do well RVing. The people I've met who found RVing confining were people who tolerated their spouse and didn't share interests in activities.

I tow a trailer; others tow a fifth wheel, and others drive a Class A motorhome. They all have their pros and cons, but it's important to get an RV suitable for Fulltiming. The King or Queen size bed in an RV is just fine for recuperating from illness. How is it different from the bed in a home or condo?

There are many books on this subject and lots of information on blogs and forums. An excellent site to get a good education on the costs of fulltiming as well as things to consider is: Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Great info and sites. Thanks. Am going to seriously consider selling the Farm and having alot of cash with RV big enough to live in. Im a single fella so, dont need a half million dollar Class A with perks ; something modest like a Class C. 26'

Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Curious what the monthly rate for renting along w/ electricity and other utilities. I've read that some places charge the same $$$ as one would pay for an apartment.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Curious what the monthly rate for renting along w/ electricity and other utilities. I've read that some places charge the same $$$ as one would pay for an apartment.
REPLY: In the Texas gulfcoast region, $400-600 per month (winter) is typical depending on the amenities. Including water and electrical hookup. Im sure theres cheaper about too. A good benefit is , you can get outside every day in Texas in the winter.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: A good benefit is , you can get outside every day in Texas in the winter.
Yeah, and you can hop a Tornado to get into the next town or cling to a tree branch waiting for the flood waters to take you there.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
... Any tips, suggestions, for the transition between selling the Farm, and, heading out in the RV ? thanks alot. David.
my plan... to have at least one rural place with a shop of my own and apartment + RV hookups. I will rent out the main house and property so it is 'self sufficient' and I will have a separate entry, but within locale to home to be secure. (I don't want some 'meth head' stealing my machine shop / antiques). Ideally I will have a couple other spots in locations across the USA which will probably be RV storage or Campgrounds that I will lease out the operation and retain the Real Estate (I need income... 50 yr old retiree). I will also stay at these places on occasion and use the business expense of getting and staying there as a write-off, and hold the Real Estate as income, inflation hedge, + Capital Gain potential.

Eventually I will have a 'hook lift' truck that will tote my containerized shop and Maint stuff and also be an RV when necessary. I like to drive and keep my Class A license and DOT cards current in case I need income, or I find someone needing help.

The big problem for us farmers, is we really need a barn / shop to escape to and tinker in + we have LOTS of stuff that we could never replace, as it took us a lifetime to find this junk... (Like my 1953 table saw). I use my grandfather's welders (probable 1940 vintage) including the gages and cutting heads. Also the cider presses, machine lathes, anvils...

Alternative for me is to find a retreat / camp / outdoor school that could use my stuff, in trade for a 'staff' cabin. We stayed at such a camp in the "Gulf Islands", (B.C). A couple older folks hung around to help with gardening and cattle and fixin. The site was gorgeous and very homey, the folks could take off and travel when they wanted, but were always welcome when they wanted to return.

Yet another plan... Our friends rent out a 2,000sf apartment over their shop to a retired couple who keep their worldly possessions intact, while they travel and do volunteer work during ~ 8 months / year. In the summers they come back and help with yard / garden / hay / animals / farm work, in exchange for some rent, and so our friends can also travel. It works out great for all. (and gives time to brew lots of Bio-diesel to get through the winter...)

plan D - is 'fractional ownership' with a max of 4 parties

Plan E - is Co-Housing

Plan F- is part-time 'co-driver' for my friends who are independent operators. They like time off, and I have 3 friends that do this as their "RV" habit. (they are all 'semi-retired', having previous careers). All have Volvo Condo Sleepers, and pull flatbeds, and they only take the jobs they want. Laptops really help you choose. Biggest hassle is taxes and keeping license / insurance paid, and getting home to mow the lawn. (of course you don't really need a home, and especially don't need a lawn!!) Now if they would only make RV's as comfortable to drive as the trucks... instead of making seats like 'recliners'...

A retiree I met uses a Volvo Condo Tractor to pull his 5th wheel, after having a Freightliner 'toter' and only getting 8 mpg. He gets 10-12 in the modified Volvo with lots more room and quieter / faster and STOPS well. He has his Diesel "Smart Car" (only available in Canada / Europe) behind the cab for the 60 mpg stuff when he gets to destination.

Lots of options... I recently bought a 20 mpg Class C (Rialta) works fine for one or two people, but definately not for "off-road". (front wheel drive, and LOW). I will go back to a Vanagon Westfalia with a TDI (VW diesel) ~ 35 mpg for solo trips. There are a few "Transporter" (Canadian Diesels) Westies in the US, they get 35 mpg too, but they are only a van conversion, pretty tight for living.

I can't wait to get back to Pioneer Village (Minden, NE) for a week or two, nice camping, good farm history.

I will relinquish my farming needs to helping others, as we all know there is plenty of need for that!

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement