Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 AM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times

Advertisements

I'm 31 and graduated in a class of about 300 people. Roughly 10% of those are dead. The vast majority of the dead are from drug overdoses or suicide. Many of those who committed suicide were known drug users or alcoholics. Some died in auto accidents and a few from natural causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,455,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
The latest Alumni Magazine had the names of two college Fraternity Brothers in the Memorium section. Shocking to see these two names out of a group of 30-40 brothers with whom I shared college time. These weren't the first to die as some passed very young due to a variety of causes, but these two died as result of what are considered more later-life conditions, both before age 65.

Caused me to ponder any valid reason to postpone my retirement further.
What did you decide?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:56 AM

14,436 posts, read 14,374,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
The latest Alumni Magazine had the names of two college Fraternity Brothers in the Memorium section. Shocking to see these two names out of a group of 30-40 brothers with whom I shared college time. These weren't the first to die as some passed very young due to a variety of causes, but these two died as result of what are considered more later-life conditions, both before age 65.

Caused me to ponder any valid reason to postpone my retirement further.
You aren't saying anything new. Life is uncertain. Any large high school has some minor number of students die before they complete a high school diploma. Auto insurance companies rate drivers between 16-25 as high risk because these drivers are involved in fatal or serious accidents much more often than older drivers are. I knew people who died of cancer in their thirties, heart conditions in their forties, and brain tumors in their fifties. Any of us could be the victim of a violent crime that takes our life at any age.

You may also live to be ninety. And, your odds of doing so are higher today than they were at any point in the history of this nation.

The overall trend of life expectancy is up. Its why there are so many problems trying to fund retirements these days. Private businesses went from retirement plans to 401K plans, so they could get out of having to bear the risk of retirement costs which have continually escalated as life expectancy has grown. Its why social security is going to have to be reformed eventually to reflect the fact that more people will need more benefits for a longer number of years.

Retire when you want too. However, people are not living shorter lives. Its quite the contrary.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,682,307 times
A close relative who was about my age was really looking forward to retirement a couple of years past FRA. They wanted the extra money as she and her husband were planning on traveling as they felt they never had time while working. Both were healthy with no chronic conditions.

Three months before retirement she felt sharp pains. Within a week, they found out she had cancer which most likely would be terminal. Six months later she was dead.

That experience was so shocking to me, I wake up every day and just smile with relief that the stress of working is over and I can do whatever I want during the day ahead. Sitting on my back porch and reading a book gives me as much pleasure as "big" plans. I guess you have to understand what you are comfortable with and plan your retirement accordingly.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,712,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Let's not forget drug addiction and alcoholism.
Always been really big - especially drinking, which not only destroys the brain, relationships, etc. but also melts away internal organs. Then there are the drunk drivers....

One of our houses is on the former estate of a Vanderbilt (Anderson Coopers Family - Gloria Vanderbilt's ancestors)- The owner, Reginald Vanderbilt, died at 42 or so when his stomach and liver pretty much turned to nothing (holes, etc.).

On the other hand, he had women, fast cars, horses and everything else he desired for those 40 years.

I get the sense that many people don't care about a long life. "Well, we all die from something" is something you hear often from this crowd as they eat poorly and suck on a cigarette.

Most (or at least many) of us stick around due to responsibilities (maybe guilt)....of leaving a lifelong partner or your grandchildren. Some are lucky enough to experience pleasure....even in their "golden years"...

Old 04-02-2018, 12:52 PM

37,518 posts, read 61,553,543 times
My grandparents all made it into their 90s. My parents made it into their 90s as well. Given my genetics, I expect to live into my 90s.

In 2016 my Sister-In-Law [58 years old] had a severe flu, she spent 2 weeks in a hospital in an induced coma to get over that flu. When she was released to a rehab facility she died from a blood clot. Death can come at any time.

My high school class has its own page on Facebook, we have been seeing one or two deaths each year. It certainly can become depressing.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 PM

386 posts, read 402,126 times
Retire as soon as you can afford it. I retired 6 years ago at age 57 and do not regret one minute of it.

Lou

Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,023,585 times
My partner and companion of 7 years just dropped dead Jan 29 , Ex pro skier , clean eating , health fanatic , 53 yrs old . My health has been long chronically weird and we were sure i would go first . The week before he died I told him we need to do what we are going to do because 5 of my school friends spread out all over had just died . All natural .No accidents/ foul play etc

I have been noticing MANY people dying the last few years , famous , non famous , INfamous , your friends, my friends . Alot of people . One of my oldest girlfriends asked me if I had noticed this recently . told her I thought it was my imagination . As far as my class - they started dropping before senior year was out and we have little get togethers with everyone left about every 5 years . All walks of life,all colors , all lifestyles, because we really don't have many of us left . Plus losing SO MANY has erased all the pettiness that can come with HS get togethers. It just is not there. We are simply glad for each other that we all made it another year .

Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 PM

661 posts, read 885,041 times
Most of my childhood neighbors, are already dead. I am 57 years old.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM

5,609 posts, read 6,540,333 times
BFF called me this morning to ask for prayers for a couple we went to Jr. High with. They were a grade ahead of us and both of the "in" crowd. They were an item then and married young. Still married. She just found out the sinus cancer she thought was gone has now metasticized to her lungs. He recently found out he has brain cancer.

The old adage that we heard as kids that didn't mean jack to us, "if you don't have your health you have nothing" sure turned out to be true. I now understand the meaning of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement