Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm going to spend every penny. The check to the funeral home for cremation will bounce.

All my financial assets list my girlfriend as beneficiary. All my real assets go to my sister. I need to rework my will and take some probate avoidance steps with real property. It predates my girlfriend.
You can give up to $25,000 maybe more to anyone tax free each year. I gave my sone and daughter in law each 25 K so they could buy a house. Didn’t even need to report it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:29 AM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You can give up to $25,000 maybe more to anyone tax free each year. I gave my sone and daughter in law each 25 K so they could buy a house. Didn’t even need to report it.
I thought it was more like $13k. What would I know, I never got a cent! Seems like a much better way to pass on assets if you can afford to do it and no one is waiting around slavering for you to die. (I guess I've known some greedy folk...)

Just looked it up- The annual gift tax exclusion for 2019 is $15,000, and the lifetime exclusion is $11.4 million. Maybe the poster was thinking of $25k per couple.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times
Thumbs up Gift Splitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought it was more like $13k. What would I know, I never got a cent! Seems like a much better way to pass on assets if you can afford to do it and no one is waiting around slavering for you to die. (I guess I've known some greedy folk...)

Just looked it up- The annual gift tax exclusion for 2019 is $15,000, and the lifetime exclusion is $11.4 million. Maybe the poster was thinking of $25k per couple.
And that Exclusion is per person.

Example: if you have two children, the mother could gift each child $15,000 and the father could gift each child $15,000 for a total of $60,000 without being taxed on those gifts.

This is called 'Gift Splitting', and is another way for parents to avoid the Gift Tax.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
I'm far, far away from retirement but we will be spending every penny of it (within means) as we have no kids nor anyone to leave anything to.

I will be the 85 year old geezer with a six-figure priced Mercedes, lol.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought it was more like $13k.
It used to be more. I think the amount has gone down.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I'm far, far away from retirement but we will be spending every penny of it
Actually... you will be using every penny of it for health care.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Actually... you will be using every penny of it for health care.
No, I don't think so. Not counting my own household retirement I'm sole heir to a well-into-7-figure estate.

I have no doubt health care costs will be more, but your statement is completely flat wrong.

I'll have medicare and a supplemental.

Plenty of people with money don't spend it all on healthcare, lol.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
We have separate account funds for our grandkids. In the event we pass before they start college, the younger will get extra funds from the estate to even the amounts. We started oldest kid’s savings first, so his account is worth more than second grandchild’s. I could not stand the thought of granddaughter receiving less from us for her education than grandson, so attorneys wrote that into the will.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 AM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I forgot to mention I bought a rental house this past year, putting the 25 percent down with my emergency money. My tenants are my vet tech and her family, and they have agreed to take any dogs I might have if I die suddenly (or otherwise) and keep them in the house. My dogs are pretty unadoptable, being old and otherwise compromised, so I doubt the shelter would be able to home them. My vet tech had agreed to take them all along, but they were losing their rental to sale (again) and were not in a position to buy a house, so I bought the rental and rent to them. They will buy the house from me when they can. Her name is on the title, which means she can apply to buy the house for the remaining amount of the mortgage (cannot inherit the mortgage) so my dogs would always have a home.

It's really the only thing I care about with my little estate.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
And that Exclusion is per person.

Example: if you have two children, the mother could gift each child $15,000 and the father could gift each child $15,000 for a total of $60,000 without being taxed on those gifts.

This is called 'Gift Splitting', and is another way for parents to avoid the Gift Tax.
How would the IRS know how much someone gives their kids unless they audit? Forgive me, I have no kids this would ever apply to so I'm not well versed in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement