Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,796,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was told to expect zero.

I had the utter nerve to be born as a girl and I've been paying for it ever since.
And yet, if they require end of life care, they will expect you to provide it, since you're the daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,344,095 times
I have little to give but I do have two small Life Insurance policies totalling all of $14K. I told my two sons to cremate me and enjoy what's left.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,682,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
A general question --

Is there a benefit to leaving either a Roth IRA or a Traditional IRA to my Dear Daughter ??
Are the Withdrawal Rules different on either of these as it relates to non-Spousal Inheritance ??

That's 2 general questions, but the same idea.....
There are many rules that apply so I'll just post one of many Fidelity links for you regarding inheriting an IRA. They have a lot of information available without requiring you to have an account so please read all you can there and then see a lawyer for the rest, or just have a great time and spend it...all.

https://www.fidelity.com/building-sa...a-spend-invest

Old 06-17-2018, 10:22 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,293,351 times
DH has three children. I have none, but I do have one sibling, a much younger brother who is in the age bracket of DH’s kids. DH and I are the beneficiaries of each others’ estates. When the last of the two of us goes, what’s left will be split 2/3 to DH’s kids and 1/3 to my brother. My brother getting only 1/4 seemed too little to me, but him getting half seemed too much to DH. The 2/3-1/3 split seemed to be a happy medium.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
A general question --

Is there a benefit to leaving either a Roth IRA or a Traditional IRA to my Dear Daughter ??
Are the Withdrawal Rules different on either of these as it relates to non-Spousal Inheritance ??
Yes, the withdrawal rules are different. So are the tax implications. You may find this article helpful: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextave.../#7d1912a0427c

Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
For those of you in the planning phases (especially if you have a complicated situation, like being a second marriage with children from both your first and your second marriage), I highly recommend checking out this book: Beyond the Grave. It’s no substitute for a professional estate planner, but it will give you a good overview of what pitfalls you need to avoid.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,659,901 times
Huh?
I'm not planning to die, so no estate.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:15 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,952,645 times
Good Article in Forbes. As usual it's a little confusing, I need to study it further. But it seems like the Roth IRA might be better to leave to my Daughter, as it's already been taxed and would not add to her Income (I think that's what they're saying). Also, she could spread it out the distributions over a longer period, or take a Lump Sum (I think).

I have DW and DD named as Beneficiaries on the IRA's. Does it matter if they inherit as Beneficiaries or through a Will ??

Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,051,247 times
We have no children, just siblings who don't need help and they have adult children with small children.
When I inherited 100k from grandmother so did my siblings. I gave each of their adult kids 10k (5 kids) and never asked what they did with it. What they did was a baby boom plus a marriage (baby on way), 4 more grandkids for their parents. Haha.

When I was their age, 30-something, it would have been a big help to get this kinda money, but no one had any to give.
Later on I may not have any money to leave anyone, comfortable now but who knows. I'd rather pay it forward.

Yes we have wills and the first to die knows there will be money set aside for their nieces and nephews (that requires a trust not just a will). We live middle class and I turn 65 in a couple years and will truly feel rich when I reach Medicare not Screwyou-care because our elected saps won't do the right thing and allow everyone to have decent insurance like senior citizens do.

Smaller sums left to favorite non-profits by using IRA beneficiary so no probate and can change them as I feel like it.

Answer to FiveLoaves: beneficiaries on brokerage and bank accounts do not go through probate (will). But there are some tax ramifications when younger people inherit IRA's. I'll bet they'll be happy anyway :-)

Old 06-17-2018, 01:31 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,682,508 times
Quote:
Good Article in Forbes. As usual it's a little confusing, I need to study it further. But it seems like the Roth IRA might be better to leave to my Daughter, as it's already been taxed and would not add to her Income (I think that's what they're saying). Also, she could spread it out the distributions over a longer period, or take a Lump Sum (I think).

I have DW and DD named as Beneficiaries on the IRA's. Does it matter if they inherit as Beneficiaries or through a Will ??
If they beneficiaries are named, it won't go through probate but will go directly to them, but I can't caution you enough to educate yourself, and them, as the laws can be tricky and costly if you don't follow the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement