Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 PM

352 posts, read 262,721 times

Advertisements

Sometimes a 10 hour drive equates to the same amount of time flying by the time you factor in the drive time to the airport, getting there 2 hours early before your flight, your actual flight time, layover, waiting for your luggage, getting a rental car and driving to your destination. It is so boring sitting in an airport. But, yet I hate driving and the stress of paying attention and staying so focused and dealing with the traffic. So for me and my husband 11 or 12 hours is about the limit for driving. And flying at the holidays is horrible and not worth the risk of a cancelled flight. Have never found it cheaper for the two of us to fly versus driving except when we went to Chicago (16 hour drive). My son is in the military and when he has leave he always wants to come home instead of us going there to visit. I will gladly buy his ticket to come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 PM

352 posts, read 262,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Our last flight was a nightmare. In June we flew from Hartford to Savannah, with a stop in Charlotte. American Airlines regional carrier PSA`s computer`s were down. We were stuck for five hours in Charlotte, with a bunch of pilots, that had no plane to fly. When we finally arrived in Savannah, our luggage was still in Charlotte, another hour, as we waited for the next plane with our luggage. Yes we could of had it sent to us, but things were such a mess, we waited, to make sure we got it. A hundred degree weather....we needed our clothes!
We will never fly American PSA again! They had issues for weeks! We wanted to cancel our flight from Charlotte, and drive to Savannah, they would not give a refund to do that. They said because we didn`t book through them

Yep, June 15th I was traveling from VA to AL helping my daughter move back to VA. I was supposed to be in Birmingham at 8:30 in the morning. At 8:30 at night I was still in Charlotte NC. I got as far as Atlanta and never made it to Alabama. My daughter, her toddler and a cat met me in Atlanta at 10:30 p.m. and we traveled a couple of hours and stayed in GA and traveled the rest of the way home the next day. American Airlines would not offer any refunds at all either. I did get an email and they gave me 15,000 points. My son who is in the military refuses to fly AA. So, I feel your pain and it sure turned me off even more for wanting to fly.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I flew a lot in my work years and did a lot of driving too. The thought of any long trip driving of flying makes me cringe. Going to the airport in my mind is too much. Sitting too long with my arthritic back and knee, can't do it. So I'm content at home. Have Fun.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:01 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Fly. Plane tickets are relatively inexpensive. There is always nearby toilet facilities.
Nothing worse than being stuck on a traffic jam and nature calls.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,829 times
Depends where I'm going and what I'll be doing. I have my own plane, only flown commercially once since 1999 and it was a BIG disappointment. And I was flying first class, too.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Not retired but I much prefer to drive unless it is a long trip which is last-minute notice and doesn't give me enough time to get to the destination by driving or involves crossing an ocean.

Generally my guideline is 1000 miles or less, I'll drive.

I'll drive longer distances if I can do it over the course of a couple of days.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
I’ll drive about 400-500 miles a day, tops. There’s too much to see and I like some of the quirky roadside attractions. I never fly if I can avoid it and favor train travel for long distances. Train travel takes time so you plan for it and it isn’t cheap if you use a sleeper but the experience is worth it to me. Can’t avoid flying sometimes. Others might not agree.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Fly. Plane tickets are relatively inexpensive. There is always nearby toilet facilities.
Nothing worse than being stuck on a traffic jam and nature calls.

There are toilet facilities all along our highways in Alaska. You would know them as trees.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,348 times
There's no absolute rule but in the past, we have usually flown, if it's more than a 3 day drive.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,799,658 times
We drive just about anywhere one can drive. Just got back from a 4,000 mile road trip a few weeks ago and leaving on a little shorter one in a few week. We do 500-600 miles/day, as the 750-800 we used to do are a bit too long. I remember when it was fun to fly and we flew quite a bit. Unfortunately, flying is no longer fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement