Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 03:58 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,567,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No one will ever know totally about the risk until they go thru one themselves. And those who come out better off,, good for them. That is not my story.
lol, that's pretty much true of just about every thing in life. I had no idea about the pain of childbirth, no matter how many classes I took and how many moms I talked to. I had absolutely no idea until I got pregnant.

No surgery is 100% safe, heck the US still has some of the highest childbirth mortality rates in the developed nations. go figure but what's the alternative?? never have kids

And your story is important but again, balance is needed. Again I do think most of the adults who contemplate knee surgery get a lot of information, good and bad. I do know folks who have chosen not to get replacement surgery and like you are finding alternative ways to dealing with their pain. I absolutely don't begrudge them their choice.

Now again it maybe my science background, I do like research and data, you simply cannot ignore the fact that joint replacement has an extremely high success rate. 85-90% success after 10-15 years.

again perspective is needed. will a knee replacement turn a 65 year old back into a 25 year old slam dunk king?? no it will not. will it allow the 65 year old to enjoy a night at the theater without pain and without canes and walkers?? yes. will it allow you to kneel and work in the garden for hours like one did when they were in their 30's?? no, probably not. will it allow you to go up and down the stairs without crying?? can you walk through the day without having to ice your knee for 2 hours?? absolutely

LOL my mindset is super simple Jamin, I want to be able to sit in a beach chair at Ocean City NJ and then get up and walk through the sand back to my condo. I want to be able todo that without popping 2 tramdols. I could not do that before my surgery, now I can.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 07-31-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,695,330 times
Quote:
59 vs 72 could make a big difference. The replacement world has historically been for those of much older age. But todays' people are damaging their joints much much faster with all the aggressive workouts they do and running, which was not the case with my parents generation.

And ChessieMom, good that you came out as you did or you would talk differently...no????
This has been discussed numerous times on CD. Exercise does not cause knee problems. This is a common misconception of people who don't exercise. Exercise is good for your joints. Being overweight is the biggest reason for knee replacements. People who exercise a lot tend to have healthier weights and are rarely obese.

Quote:
They are NOT a scam and do work and money is holding me from more of them. I've had probably 6 Prolo injections in the last 10some yrs.

My choice any day vs the major invasive joint replacements and they are major surgeries.

And no wheelchair here, a walker yes, but I walk. And have gone thru a lot of damage.
I had prolotherapy injections and it did nothing. I would try PRP if I had evidence that it had a higher success rate. Your repeated references to professional athletes doesn't mention that they have done numerous PRP injections before it worked. I don't need a knee replacement yet, but all evidence indicates these surgeries are highly successful. I've only talked to one person who had issues. This person first had a partial knee replacement that was replaced with a TKR. He still has issues after the TKR.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:09 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,802,882 times
Exercise is GOOD and Many overdo it in their lives. That was probably me since 12 yrs old and still dancing into my 50's, that's exercise, and the years of gym work, treadmill and I still use home recumbent bike, mildly NOW....and thank goodness I never RAN or I could be worse off perhaps.....So we all have our experiences, so PLEASE I don't need lectures about exercise, I was the queen for a major portion of my life.

On the injections, I'm of the thinking NOW as I've been studying them, doing them for the last 10 yrs or so, that the original "dextrose" is the lowest price and perhaps the best....the powers that be pushed the more pricey latest ones and for many they don't seem to do it. And yes MORE is what maybe needed by many. I've had the "dextrose" injections and THEY DID WORK IN MY LIFE. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659139/

BTW: Dextrose injections run the range of $200-$400 from what I hear out there and what my D.O. is charging now.

And yes the athletes can afford more than one PRP and that's the way it is. They are so beat up and they get paid pretty big bucks for their beatings. And as the MD says, one session normally does NOT do it, 3-4 often will and that's going to $3-4K.

I hope you the best with your replacement when you do it. I aim to get thru the rest of my life without one. Thanks....

Another note on the exercise world: I have a male friend who hit the gym for many years, weights, you name it and is living with two knee replacements and shoulder replacement and is in a lot of pain after these surgeries...blames his years of weights for the damage.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-01-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 12:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,695,330 times
Quote:
Exercise is GOOD and Many overdo it in their lives. That was probably me since 12 yrs old and still dancing into my 50's, that's exercise, and the years of gym work, treadmill and I still use home recumbent bike, mildly NOW....and thank goodness I never RAN or I could be worse off perhaps.....So we all have our experiences, so PLEASE I don't need lectures about exercise, I was the queen for a major portion of my life.

On the injections, I'm of the thinking NOW as I've been studying them, doing them for the last 10 yrs or so, that the original "dextrose" is the lowest price and perhaps the best....the powers that be pushed the more pricey latest ones and for many they don't seem to do it. And yes MORE is what maybe needed by many. I've had the "dextrose" injections and THEY DID WORK IN MY LIFE. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659139/

BTW: Dextrose injections run the range of $200-$400 from what I hear out there and what my D.O. is charging now.

I hope you the best with your replacement when you do it. I aim to get thru the rest of my life without one. Thanks....

Another note on the exercise world: I have a male friend who hit the gym for many years, weights, you name it and is living with two knee replacements and shoulder replacement and is in a lot of pain after these surgeries...blames his years of weights for the damage.
I can't say that I have ever met someone who has overdone exercise. It is good to do different kinds of exercise. Few people get both sufficient cardiovascular and strength training exercise, especially older people because they grew up when exercise wasn't something you did after you graduated from high school or college.

I looked at the prolotherapy study and it is credible. I may try this therapy again. Like the PRP, it may not take the first (or second or third) time. The injections weren't much fun when I did it before. With injections like Synvisc, it is one quick injection. With the prolotherapy it was a bunch of injections all around my knee.

I'm not close to a knee replacement. I'm registered to run a 10K at the end of September. I've done it the past 24 years and I don't want to break my streak.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I can't say that I have ever met someone who has overdone exercise. It is good to do different kinds of exercise. Few people get both sufficient cardiovascular and strength training exercise, especially older people because they grew up when exercise wasn't something you did after you graduated from high school or college.

I looked at the prolotherapy study and it is credible. I may try this therapy again. Like the PRP, it may not take the first (or second or third) time. The injections weren't much fun when I did it before. With injections like Synvisc, it is one quick injection. With the prolotherapy it was a bunch of injections all around my knee.

I'm not close to a knee replacement. I'm registered to run a 10K at the end of September. I've done it the past 24 years and I don't want to break my streak.
Run run run, I see the LA Marathon down my street and of course the ones from Africa are born running. All the stragglers trying to finish, oh the pain. I can't watch them anymore.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 PM

This is in the knee replacement segment of this post.

Just heard a radio program and this show has an MD on Thursday evenings for an hour to take calls from people with their issues.

One man 72 called in talking about a knee replacement he had a year ago and it just won't bend and do what he wants it to do. Then he had one this past June so now he's dealing with two replacements. Very active guy all his life: gymnastics, running, trampoline and more more more and now he wants to get to a place where he can sit in a lotus position and the doc said you may be able to get there but may never get out of it. This man is very hyperactive and the knees won't let him be that anymore. The MD said maybe if he lives another 72 yrs that could happen. The man was trying to get the MD to tell him if he could ever had his original knees again, good grief that can never be.

The commentator says, he's hardly ever exercised and has good hips and knees.

Just sayin.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:16 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,123,102 times
Every one is different. Someone might have a really good recovery (me).
Others will curse the day they ever had it done.

Some people expect to be able to do what "they have always done."

For some, it is just hard to accept the changes that time and aging brings on.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Every one is different. Someone might have a really good recovery (me).
Others will curse the day they ever had it done.

Some people expect to be able to do what "they have always done."

For some, it is just hard to accept the changes that time and aging brings on.
Now I'm wondering why you posted this topic if you say you had a good recovery.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Quote:
Now I'm wondering why you posted this topic if you say you had a good recovery.

You know it's her thread, right? Just read her first post to understand.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You know it's her thread, right? Just read her first post to understand.
I know who's post it is, thank you very much. If the OP had a good outcome with one knee as I'm reading why not do the other one, that I don't understand I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement