Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:30 PM

17,666 posts, read 13,456,266 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty concise primer on thoughts, and actions, that revolve around retirement:

https://olderhood.com/2018/10/16/the...-by-bob-lowry/

Quote:
For some of us the worst thing about retirement is that it didn’t start sooner. After experiencing the freedom and opportunities that become available after work ends, we are happy that the employment stage of life is behind us.

For variety of reasons, others find the transition is less than ideal. Concerns like financial fears, health problems, or relational issues are not my focus this time. Instead, I’d like to look at some things that may be a little less obvious but still make us less than satisfied. Some of these may feel familiar to you. For some reason the pieces of retirement you thought would fit together nicely, don’t.

In each segment I have included a link to a post that might help you find some answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,087 times
None of the feelings, thoughts, and problems listed in the article apply to me - not even a tiny bit.

I'm completely opposite from every possible factor of retirement listed in the article.

The list applies more to people who have few interests or are lacking in diversity of interests and activities, who are not emotionally or psychologically whole or who lack interest in the world. Who do not have a life of the mind or lack imagination or self-motivation or have an inability to enjoy life.

So I cannot agree, OP, that "This is a pretty concise primer on thoughts, and actions, that revolve around retirement" - but it is interesting to read and I realize some people experience retirement in that way.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,251,455 times
Every issue identified as a problem in the article is solvable by the individual experiencing the problem simply getting up off his or her backside and finding something meaningful to do.

We give our lives meaning by the choices we make. We do not derive value from the opinion or regard of others; we derive value from what we choose to do with our time.

Some people find meaning by helping others through volunteering, teaching, mentoring, and similar activities. Some people find meaning through learning new skills, developing new hobbies, traveling, or other means of self development.

People who feel diminished by retirement have to fix that problem themselves.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,389,213 times
I've been retired for almost 14 years and none of the issues in the article have been a problem for me.

The worst thing about retirement is that you no longer get to look forward to the occasional 3 day weekend.

The only other issue is more a factor of age not retirement and that is the diminishing stamina/energy as one ages. It is often rather frustrating to work on some project and have it take several days rather than one simply because I can only manage 3 or 4 hours of serious labor around the house or garden. Then I'm pooped and often want a nap.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,066,027 times
I’ve been retired for only four years. I might not have had time yet to run into any of the problems in the article.

One of the nicest things (for me) about retirement is that I CAN take a nap when I want or need to. I can’t believe I hated naptime when I was a kid.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,503,325 times
I rarely use this symbol but

Sounds like someone is really feeling sorry for themselves because they allowed others to lead them through their life. Counseling would help I think. Really, this sounds as if retirement isn’t the problem, the inability to make choices is. What did this person do in their unstructured time before retirement?

Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,091,363 times
Who is Bob Lowry?? And what the heck does he know???

Old 10-30-2018, 05:18 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,128,066 times
"After awhile the freshness wears off"?

I don't know of anything in life that comes with permanent freshness. My life is full of things that are no longer brand new, but still give me plenty of satisfaction. In fact as I grow older I've developed an appreciation for surrounding myself with familiar things.

Being upset because something is "no longer fresh" seems more like something that would bother a 20-year old.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,987,712 times
As I read the list of "problems" I thought they reflect many of the topics we get here on the Retirement Forum. If he had called it "some things to think about before retiring" maybe it would have had a different flavor.

Anyway, I ended up reading only the bold topic titles because the font was so small. I sent them an email to tell them that.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Anyway, I ended up reading only the bold topic titles because the font was so small. I sent them an email to tell them that.
Adjusting and changing the font size of an article or anything (for ease of reading) takes about 3 seconds on a computer or iPad. But perhaps you do not use a computer or iPad when accessing City Data forums or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement