Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:45 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

Mediocre article. My guess he is writing about his issues. Nearly all of my friends are retired. Being retired is something I’m proud of and if I mention it people say congrats. Bob must live in a different world than I. My weight and physical condition has improved as well as my mental.

Ok, his point about what to do with one’s day is correct, but that’s an easy fix. Look around and volunteer, get involved, relationships,does the word hobbie ring a bell? Unless your goal is to watch TV and drink beer, life can be full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
from the article: "What Do Retired People Do All Day?'

in my case, take care of my in-laws and my mother.
all 3 are incapable of taking care of themselves.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Mediocre article. My guess he is writing about his issues. Nearly all of my friends are retired. Being retired is something I’m proud of and if I mention it people say congrats. Bob must live in a different world than I. My weight and physical condition has improved as well as my mental.

Ok, his point about what to do with one’s day is correct, but that’s an easy fix. Look around and volunteer, get involved, relationships,does the word hobbie ring a bell? Unless your goal is to watch TV and drink beer, life can be full.
But you've expressed many many times in the Retirement forum the many problems you've had in your own retirement which are the same problems that are discussed in the article!

Old 10-30-2018, 05:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Adjusting and changing the font size of an article or anything (for ease of reading) takes about 3 seconds on a computer or iPad. But perhaps you do not use a computer or iPad when accessing City Data forums or anything else.
Sorry, on a site for older people, I should not have to zoom in 150% just to read an article. If they can't figure out the needs of their intended audience themselves, they need to be told... so I told them. I don't need computer lessons, thank you Matisse.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:23 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Preparation for retirement should being in your 20's, 30's, 40's, developing interests/hobbies along the way, and you just can't wait to resume them when retired. I have a 300,000 piece Lego collection and that will keep me busy for years. I love coloring books, I could do that all day. I have a pile of crossword books with a million word crossword dictionary and I know better to start in on that, as I'll forget to eat that day. And I accumulated lots of books along the way, for when I had the time to read them.

I would say the worst thing I've experienced, so far, being retired since June, is the time flies by faster than a concorde jet. Time is going so fast it's beginning to scare me! And please don't ask me what day it is as I won't know, won't care!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
But you've expressed many many times in the Retirement forum the many problems you've had in your own retirement which are the same problems that are discussed in the article!
My retirement problems had to do with PTSD and figuring out what to do with myself. I’m retired over two years and both issues were resolved over a year ago.

Did you read the article?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Who is Bob Lowry?? And what the heck does he know???
I have never heard of Bob Lowry either!!!!

Old 10-30-2018, 07:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Another joke of an article written by some hack who must have identified with his work life more than his real life. I'm busier than ever and I've lost weight since I retired.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 28,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I have never heard of Bob Lowry either!!!!
Bob Lowery has written a blog and books about retirement. Information that he puts forward may not be for everybody but I've found some of his stuff useful! k

https://satisfyingretirement.blogspot.com/

Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I'm glad I am not this Bob Lowry person. What a dud he must be. And a whiner. Retirement is the best, the greatest.....whee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement