Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much Money Do You Have Saved for Retirement?
Less than 100K 28 9.89%
100K - 250K 27 9.54%
250K - 500K 35 12.37%
500K - 750K 27 9.54%
750K - 1 mil. 29 10.25%
1 mil. - 2 mil. 72 25.44%
2 mil. to 5 mil. 51 18.02%
Over 5 mil. 14 4.95%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 PM

107,493 posts, read 109,961,286 times

Advertisements

Money for retirement does not mean only tax sheltered money . It means all money you have that will be used in retirement . We have more of our retirement money in a taxable brokerage account then we do tax sheltered accounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM

1,159 posts, read 971,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Money for retirement does not mean only tax sheltered money . It means all money you have that will be used in retirement . We have more of our retirement money in a taxable brokerage account then we do tax sheltered accounts
I agree. "All money you have that will be used in retirement." Not the real estate, pensions, SS, insurance, or anything else. That is what the OP's poll is supposed to be about. And on an individual basis! Maybe we should take the poll again?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM

107,493 posts, read 109,961,286 times
Pensions ,ss and annuities and rental income are cash flow not savings

Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Pensions ,ss and annuities and rental income are cash flow not savings
I agree. I feel as if we're posting at cross purposes. I said NOT the real estate, pensions, SS, insurance and so on. We're saying the same thing.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,176,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Exactly. You're talking a very affluent subset of people. Most are college educated or SMB owners. A lot of pensioners. A lot of folks who cashed out equity in the nice areas and retired to Cheapsville. They're not at all representative of the people I deal with daily.
Sure, we are who WE are!

Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,176,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
But the OP specifically asked about retirement savings, not pensions or SS or insurance. Just savings.
I understand, please read the context of the post I was responding to. For multiple reasons I did not do the poll but am enjoying the conversation. My point was that if we have shared other income sources and shared management of those sources it might carry over to how we look at our investment portfolio. It does in our case. Our management over the years has had keeping the balance of our individual retirement accounts fairly equal. Post tax accounts are joint. Asset allocation and fund selection are done as if all accounts were joint accounts.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I understand, please read the context of the post I was responding to. For multiple reasons I did not do the poll but am enjoying the conversation. My point was that if we have shared other income sources and shared management of those sources it might carry over to how we look at our investment portfolio. It does in our case.
It did in our case, too. But that all ended in the divorce, in a flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Our management over the years has had keeping the balance of our individual retirement accounts fairly equal. Post tax accounts are joint. Asset allocation and fund selection are done as if all accounts were joint accounts.
Our finances were set up exactly the same way. It's all in how you look at things. It was a shock to the system to be forced to divide all our assets. But now I know exactly what my individual retirement savings are. It might be an interesting thought exercise for you, if only to be able to answer the OP's poll as requested, on an individual basis.

Of course, addressing the OP's poll is entirely optional, as is answering any question in this forum. We all participate as we wish.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM

149 posts, read 101,210 times
I have zilch saved for a "nest egg" per the thread
We earn only 32K a yr combined

Likely the lowest earning couple on this forum
1 checking acct balance is 50K
not designated for anything.
30K emergency fund which just sits there too
Small retirement plan balance-25K
& a small free retiree health benefit package (I already put in the required years for)

never any out of pocket costs
Dental up to 2k, Eye, Drug, & Chiropractic plans

A surprise inheritance of around 60K will arrive next month.
It will come close to paying off our house.
This is all the inheritance we will ever get.... not complaining as this is a huge, un-deserved, surprise!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,234,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
This has probably been done before, but I didn't see anything when I searched. I'm new here and trying to get a sense of the forum's composition. I figured this was a good place to start. Apologies for adding to the number of polls lately.

Question is pretty straightforward: How much do you have saved for retirement? So that would include things like:
  • mutual funds
  • retirement accounts (IRAs, etc.)
  • cash

It would not include things such as:
  • home value
  • pension
  • social security payments

So, I'm not asking about your net worth or your retirement income. I'm asking about the amount of money you have stashed away for retirement. Your "nest egg," if you will.
LOL..well this poll shows what type of people we have here in the RETIREMENT forum. So NOT the average person in this country.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:22 PM

4,553 posts, read 3,806,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Oh no! So some people answered both for themselves and for their spouse. That really skews the results. The poll said "You," so I answered as an individual. Now I don't know what to think. Suddenly the results I see are not so reliable.
The answer for me alone and us as a couple is in the same category range, so it doesn’t skew the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement