Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 11:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was little, I heard "Vietnam" and "Viet Cong" on the TV news all the time. I knew there was a war, but I didn't know why, so I asked my mother why we were in a war.

A year or so later, my fourth-grade teacher asked the class if anyone knew why we were at war in Vietnam. I proudly raised my hand and said, "The Russians want everyone to be atheists, so we are fighting a war in Vietnam so that people can still go to church." My teacher looked at me with a withering stare, and said, "WHO told you THAT?" and then turned away.

I was stunned. MY MOTHER had told me that. At that moment, I started to think that maybe she didn't know everything after all.
I think the problem was that most of us didn't know why we were fighting a war in Viet Nam. I remember hearing it was because the communists wanted to take over and then they would be trying to bring it here to the US. Never made sense to me that people living in a such a small jungle country halfway around the world would be bringing anything here. Although, in today's world they do send us clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 03:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
Santa, Easter Bunny and God are real.

My stomach would explode if I drank water after eating cucumber salad, I l still love cucumber salad.

I will drown if I swam in the river after eating.

Adults lie at funerals about the person that has passed away. I ask my mom about someone that everyone considered to be a complete bastard all his life, and yet to be so great at his funeral. She said God forgives, I said that’s a lot of bull, and unfair.

My grandmother was very religious and superstitious, she could look at the sky and tell if someone died. She told me she knew the minute my father was killed. Sometimes, she did have evil eyes.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:27 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Spring is around the corner. So I went around the corner looking for it.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:57 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Don't swallow watermelon seeds or they will grow in your stomach!

I was freaked out when my mother mentioned that potatoes had "eyes". I then refused to eat them so she would show me the newly peeled potatoes (never the peelings) and say these were the kind of potatoes without "eyes". I was really relieved that some grew that way!

Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM

6,876 posts, read 4,877,055 times
I was told I was special to the Easter Bunny. Thing was, I didn't like eggs. So to get me to eat them, the thought back then that they were good for one, they died eggs for me year round. I still didn't like the eggs but I would eat them. I had to eat them because the Easter Bunny would also leave me cookies and candy some of the time. That meant I had to stay on his good side.

Once I found out there was not an Easter Bunny I didn't eat eggs anymore. I discovered that when I was about four and someone left a package of food coloring with the picture of the Easter Bunny on it. My Mother was more or less caught red handed. Once she confessed that I was right, that there was no Easter Bunny, my first comment was "that means there is no Santa, either!" That made my Mother cry......she said she wanted me to believe for a few more years. I was her fifth child, she should have been better at telling kids lies by then - LOL!

Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Don't swallow watermelon seeds or they will grow in your stomach!

I was freaked out when my mother mentioned that potatoes had "eyes". I then refused to eat them so she would show me the newly peeled potatoes (never the peelings) and say these were the kind of potatoes without "eyes". I was really relieved that some grew that way!

I got the watermelon seed sprouting story too. I wonder why they didn't want us to eat the seeds?

My mother's favorite lie was kinda mean. I asked about a bear I had, wondering where it had gone and she said there never was such a bear. Turns out she had a falling out with the woman who gave it to me and threw it out.

Same with a red coat. It was pretty raggedy and she threw it out. I remembered it the next winter and asked her where it was. She said we never had a red coat. Of course I didn't know she threw it out at the time, and I wondered why I remembered stuff that never happened. Mom wouldn't lie, right?

Old 11-03-2018, 06:54 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
When I was 5, my father had back surgery. When my mother took me to the hospital to visit him, I noticed the TV mounted high on the wall and asked how anyone could change the channel. (I had no idea about remote controls). He said "oh, you just hold your hand in the air and pretend to turn the dial". Here he demonstrated. So I tried it and what do you know, it worked! I had no idea he was using a remote while my attention was diverted.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I used to cross my eyes pretty well but mom told me that they would get stuck cross-eyed at some point so I never did that again.
If we crossed our eyes or made a face, my grandmother would say, "If the clock strikes one, you'll stay that way."

Old 11-04-2018, 02:38 AM

765 posts, read 474,229 times
Parenthood seemed to be one long forever lie I couldn't escape. My mother's favorite lie was "I never spoke to my mother that way." Believe me, she did too. The biggest lies i remember are "Santa is watching", " I promise it won't hurt" (it ALWAYS did) and "If you keep that up, your face will freeze that way" It NEVER did. There were rules for everything. "Don't crack your knuckles you'll have arthritis by the time you're 15." "Children can't drink coffee, it will stunt your growth" the clincher? "Money isn't everything". Oh. Well, it certainly was something.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:46 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
I also remember my parents saying eat your food as there are people in China starving. I have come up with my own thing I say to little kids. 'When I was your age, all we had to eat on our plate was our reflection"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement