Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,578,959 times

Advertisements

One that comes to mind for me was my mom explaining how it was that she knew when I did something "bad":

"I've got eyes in the back of my head.", she'd say.

Guess when I was 6 or 7 I actually believed it and tried one day to part her hair and inspect her head while she was napping on the couch! I found no second set of eyes but I could never figure out how she knew stuff.

Another was that putting egg shells in the garbage disposal sharpened the blades. Thought of that one this morning and got the idea for this thread.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 11-02-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,431,010 times
There was a huge steel mill that we would pass on the way to my grandmothers house. When operating it pumped a ton of "vapor" into the air. I asked my Dad what it was and he told us it was the cloud factory.

Years later we had a class trip that went by the steel mill and I proudly mentioned to my teacher that we were passing the cloud factory. A puzzled look ensued and she asked me who gave me that information. When I told her she laughed, she knew my Dad.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,059,787 times
I can't think of anything except "the usual suspects": Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and religion.

I felt quite angry when I finally found out that Santa wasn't real, not because he wasn't real but because my parents had "lied" about it all that time. From a practical point of view it didn't matter (I'd received the gifts anyway regardless of their source) but the fact that I'd had it drummed into my head since birth that it was so terribly wrong to lie, and then find out that grownups deliberately tell this big Santa lie to kids really bothered me.

I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny probably around age five or so, once I realized that real rabbits can't hold objects in only one hand, err, paw like the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. But Easter wasn't much of a thing in our family anyhow. It was mainly an occasion for buying a new spring outfit plus getting a small basket with books and toys in it (I was allergic to eggs, dairy, and chocolate.)

Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,597,443 times
This is kind of tasteless and not genteel, but I remember my Mom telling me when I was a freshman or sophomore at university that "give a man milk for free, and he won't want to buy the cow." LOL !!

Saying something like that was very unlike her. And actually I never believed it.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
One that comes to mind for me was my mom explaining how it was that she knew when I did something "bad":

"I've got eyes in the back of my head.", she'd say.

Guess when I was 6 or 7 I actually believed it and tried one day to part her hair and inspect her head while she was napping on the couch! I found no second set of eyes but I could never figure out how she knew stuff.

Another was that putting egg shells in the garbage disposal sharpened the blades. Thought of that one this morning and got the idea for this thread.

My kids thought I had eyes in the back of my head too. They were small enough to not realize I could see their reflections in the window over the sink. lol I could see the living room behind me.

When I was six, and started losing teeth, my dad told me that if I would not put my tongue in that empty space my tooth would grow back GOLD. Of course that's impossible to do so I was disappointed every time. lol

Old 11-02-2018, 01:34 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,990,323 times
My mother always knew when it was going to rain. I asked her how, and she said she just knew, and I was sure she had some kind of super power that allowed her to predict the weather. At the time, I didn't realize there were weather reports on the news every day.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:24 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,070,366 times
As kids, our vacations took us as far south as Key West, as far east as the Outer Banks of NC, as far north as into Canada and around Lake Superior and as far west as Moab UT. All from central Alabama.

We were likely lower middle class. Never ate in restaurants, never stayed in hotels. My father build our tent trailer which opened up into a large, two x double beds, one cot tent which was quite comfortable.

While on the way home from Canada where we camped our way around Lake Superior, we stopped in Cedar Lake IN to see my great aunt and uncle. Us kids were told to go and play for awhile but as I went back into their house for something, I overheard my mom's uncle was asking if we were staying for the night in a local hotel - their house was too small for additional 5 people.

My father responded, "No....we're almost out of money so we'll drive through the night until we get home."

I'm telling you that the little 12 year K7baixo worried all the way home. What if? What if the car broke down? What if they were too tired to drive any further? What if we ran out of money? Did we have enough food and money for gas? Scared for life I tell you.

Only a few years before my father passed, I asked him about that trip. Were we really almost broke? Outta money?

"Nah" he laughed, "we just wanted to get home."

Oh...so that's where the 'got to get home as quickly as possible as vacation comes to a close' gene came from.

Last edited by k7baixo; 11-02-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 02:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,983,546 times
There was talk of the tooth fairy when I lost my baby teeth. But somehow that didn't make sense to me. I can remember putting my tooth under the pillow and trying to stay awake to see if my parents came in to exchange it for money. I never stayed awake long enough.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,674,335 times
OP: Moms DO have eyes in the back of their heads, though.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:55 PM

705 posts, read 563,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I can't think of anything except "the usual suspects": Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and religion.

I felt quite angry when I finally found out that Santa wasn't real, not because he wasn't real but because my parents had "lied" about it all that time. From a practical point of view it didn't matter (I'd received the gifts anyway regardless of their source) but the fact that I'd had it drummed into my head since birth that it was so terribly wrong to lie, and then find out that grownups deliberately tell this big Santa lie to kids really bothered me.

I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny probably around age five or so, once I realized that real rabbits can't hold objects in only one hand, err, paw like the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. But Easter wasn't much of a thing in our family anyhow. It was mainly an occasion for buying a new spring outfit plus getting a small basket with books and toys in it (I was allergic to eggs, dairy, and chocolate.)
I never got upset after finding out Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy weren't real (I still believe in God). It brought us joy as kids to think about these things. It was just a fun thing meant to being happiness and joy to children with no harm intended. I stopped believing in the tooth fairy when I caught my dad putting a quarter under my pillow when I lost a tooth but I never told him, it brought them so much joy to do all that, I didn't want to take that from him.

My mother would tell me if I crossed my eyes they'd stick that way. She also told me if I sat too close to the TV it would ruin my eyes. I was told not to crack my knuckles because I'd get arthritis which isn't true but they do say Chronic knuckle cracking may lead to reduced grip strength. My mother didn't buy much candy for us, she said chocolate caused acme. Another one she told me was not to play with frogs or I'd get warts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement