Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,357,142 times

Advertisements

So if my birthday month is Feb, (13th). I can anticipate getting my first check at the end of March? Good to know, to plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,576,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
HI,

I didn't see a topic here despite a search... I'm in the Houston area and the SS office handling my application is in Alabama. I filed on Sunday Oct 28 and got the confirmation of amy application on Oct 29. I also see their info that I should "receive a letter in the mail within 30 days with a decision or to request more information." I have checked in online for my "status" and it still says "Initial" stage.

I suddenly lost my full-time job and this forced my hand...I had hoped to wait one more year to apply and get the maximum benefit. I have of course also applied for unemployment but everything takes time and it appears there will be no money forthcoming for at least a month!

Thanks for any info on other people's actual experience. I'm hoping to hear that maybe a check might show up in my bank account earlier than they say!
To keep it simple, from the dates you give your first deposit will occur in December.

SS deposits are from the previous month. So in your case November benefit gets to you in December. Mine is the 3rd Wednesday every month.

You will get a confirmation letter. Call SS to ask which day of the month yours will go into your bank account.

Of course if you want to wait another year then file for unemployment money and get out ASAP and look for another job. Seasonal retail is hiring for holiday rush.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymyers2000 View Post
If you applied to start in October and your birthday is the 25th, you should receive your check the 4th Wednesday of November (Nov 28).
He applied IN October. That means his first full month of benefit pay out is November. The benefit payment arrives the next month for the previous month. He will get paid in December.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
So if my birthday month is Feb, (13th). I can anticipate getting my first check at the end of March? Good to know, to plan.
No, April. March will be your first full month of coverage. That money will be paid to you in April.

I am February also.

Which Wednesday in the month depends on your last name. Call SS to find out which one will be your payment day.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 AM

54 posts, read 33,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
He applied IN October. That means his first full month of benefit pay out is November. The benefit payment arrives the next month for the previous month. He will get paid in December.
No, what he said was "I asked to start in October, assuming I might get a check in November.". So if he starts IN October, he will get his first check IN November.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 AM

54 posts, read 33,576 times
Quote:
No, April. March will be your first full month of coverage. That money will be paid to you in April.

I am February also.

Which Wednesday in the month depends on your last name. Call SS to find out which one will be your payment day.
It all depends on your age when you start. If you start at 62 with a birthday in Feb (assuming your birthday is after the 1st of February), you will get your first check in April. However, after that, if you start your SS in your birth-month, you will get the check the following month. And if your birthday is the 13th, it will arrive the 3rd Wednesday of each month.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Quote:

I am February also.

No, it doesn't depend on your last name and there is no reason to call Social Security.

When you get your SS checks depends upon your date of birth. If your birthday falls during the first ten days of the month, you'll receive your check on the 2nd Wednesday; if it falls between 11-20, then you receive your check on the 3rd Wednesday; if it falls from the 21st to the 31st, you receive your check on the 4th Wednesday. People who receive both SS & SSI payments (as well as those people who started receiving SS payments before May 1997) receive their payments on the third day of the month. On a somewhat related matter, people who receive SSI payments alone receive them on the first day of the month.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,353,880 times
Thanks everyone! I have a wonderful update!

Everyone who said I would likely get a check in November -- and because of my birthdate, on the Fourth Wednesday -- is correct!

But it's even better. I had a terrific phone call with "my" Social Security claims agent today. I only wanted to ask when I would get the first check and that turned into the full discussion of all my options. (Waving at you, ARWENMARK! You were spot on! :-) ) The agent had planned to call me but I got her first. Who knew you even talked to a human??

So....I can file dating back to April of this year and get a nice lump sum check by THIS SATURDAY -- and that is the option I chose! My "regular" first check will come Dec. 26 as the November 28 payment will get included in the lump sum coming shortly.

I am so excited and relieved. I had the nicest agent, who was friendly and very knowledgeable and patient. I told her I will name her in my will.

I will pay off my credit card, invest a good sum safely (maybe online bank CD) and keep some aside in my local credit union for quick access in emergency. I will still look for part-time work but the heavy weight and worry has been lifted.
The trade-off was getting that lump sum now and "losing" $85 a month in benefits after my "breakeven" age of 85...it seemed quite worth it to me!

Thanks again to you all!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymyers2000 View Post
It all depends on your age when you start. If you start at 62 with a birthday in Feb (assuming your birthday is after the 1st of February), you will get your first check in April. However, after that, if you start your SS in your birth-month, you will get the check the following month. And if your birthday is the 13th, it will arrive the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
Correct.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Thanks everyone! I have a wonderful update!

Everyone who said I would likely get a check in November -- and because of my birthdate, on the Fourth Wednesday -- is correct!

But it's even better. I had a terrific phone call with "my" Social Security claims agent today. I only wanted to ask when I would get the first check and that turned into the full discussion of all my options. (Waving at you, ARWENMARK! You were spot on! :-) ) The agent had planned to call me but I got her first. Who knew you even talked to a human??

So....I can file dating back to April of this year and get a nice lump sum check by THIS SATURDAY -- and that is the option I chose! My "regular" first check will come Dec. 26 as the November 28 payment will get included in the lump sum coming shortly.

I am so excited and relieved. I had the nicest agent, who was friendly and very knowledgeable and patient. I told her I will name her in my will.

I will pay off my credit card, invest a good sum safely (maybe online bank CD) and keep some aside in my local credit union for quick access in emergency. I will still look for part-time work but the heavy weight and worry has been lifted.
The trade-off was getting that lump sum now and "losing" $85 a month in benefits after my "breakeven" age of 85...it seemed quite worth it to me!

Thanks again to you all!
Yay! Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement