Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:02 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Next time, stay on 80 past Sparks for 20 min or so, and you will be in Fernley.
oh thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:21 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
petunia you are right (from another post) I believe we aren't neighbors but don't live that terribly far from each other. You described your town, it's not this one or an adjacent town but likely within about 30 min.

My husband has allergies too, hence a huge reason we didn't bother to see if we liked the town first.

He just needed a higher elevation asap in order to breathe better. His breathing is much better.
Did your allergies calm down upon moving up here?

Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
petunia you are right (from another post) I believe we aren't neighbors but don't live that terribly far from each other. You described your town, it's not this one or an adjacent town but likely within about 30 min.

My husband has allergies too, hence a huge reason we didn't bother to see if we liked the town first.

He just needed a higher elevation asap in order to breathe better. His breathing is much better.
Did your allergies calm down upon moving up here?
Oh yes, it is soooo much better now. At times, it does get smokey up here. Thats no fun, but only occasional. My immunologist said high elevation and dry air.

I think you are probably closer to 80 than I am, and probably a bit further east. That's my guess, anyway. My job is right on 50, but I live north of 50, and a bit south of 80.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
$2000 for vehicle fees? What do you drive? A pair of 2018 BMW 7 series? And unless you lie to Kaiser about where you live, you’re not eligible to be part of that HMO.
2012 Chevrolet Equinox, 2017 Chevrolet Silverado, 2017 Lance Travel Trailer..... Ok in looking at my registrations they are close to $1500.00 for all 3 and they are going up in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've been investigating van/rv living and Pahrump seems to have a decent rv community. I haven't seen anything on registration fees but, before I moved to Arizona from Minnesota I contacted the office here to find out what they would be. They were much lower than Minnesota.

In Minnesota they are called DMV, Department of Motor Vehicles. Here they are DOT, Department of Transportation.

I was curious because I planned to move here in September of last year, which I did, and my tags for Minnesota were good until the next April. But, I sucked it up because once you have an address here, you only have 10 days to change your license and registration.

So give them a call and see what it would be. I don't know what Nevada calls their department though.
I'll try and see who I call...….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Well, why not just RV full-time for awhile? You can pick your new hometown AFTER you have spent some time living in various towns in your RV.
I would love to but wife needs to have a stick house...…

Old 11-27-2018, 09:17 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Just my observation having lived in both California and Utah and having spent a lot of time traveling through Nevada....

It's like living in an ashtray.

Oh and we just bought a house near Monterey. We're tired of Utah politics.

Perhaps you'd like to buy our house in Utah?

Old 11-27-2018, 09:26 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I'm sorry, but I have to laugh when everyone is trying to talk you out of Pahrump. What's up with that?

The same thing happened to me though when I mentioned I was going to move to/by Sierra Vista. Everyone had all kinds of ideas about where I should move, and that was never my question.

All I wanted to know was how to contact the office to change my car registration. I ended up telling folks, 'I'm sure you will enjoy that. Personally, I'm moving to Sierra Vista.' There's really nothing more you can say.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:04 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to laugh when everyone is trying to talk you out of Pahrump. What's up with that?
The thread title is "How About Nevada?" Not "I'm Determined to Move to Pahrump, So There"

I don't think any of the responses were out of bounds or across state lines. Keep in mind that unlike you, this is a couple that already made one move for retirement and regretted it.

I think we were being helpful the best way we knew how.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We live in Central Valley of California and are tired of all the Political B.S. and Taxes. We want to move but not to far. When we first retired 11 years ago we retired to Tennessee and LOVED it. However it was 21/2 hard days drive to come back for visits. So we came back and regret it. We are looking at Nevada (Pahrump) because it is only 8 hours drive back for visits..... Yes we know Pahrump is HOT and there are water concerns. But we have the same thing here in the Central Valley of California.....

Question/Concerns are mainly about Health (we have Kaiser) and property/vehicle taxes.

We could keep our Kaiser plan and just return for Doctor Appointments, we do ALL our Meds via U.S. so that's not really a problem. Yes it would be nice to switch to local Doctors..

Right now we pay close to $2000.00 a year in Vehicle registrations alone.

Thanks LeeB
I like Arizona better but Nevada is better in some ways including overall taxes I believe are lower although housing is higher in Nevada for the most part.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:27 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
My buddy Ronnie Mund is moving to Nevada to retire shortly. He is a limo driver in NYC and wants to get out of the rat race. I think he wants to avoid Bobo's driving test before Howard fires him. He likes the Vegas nightlife and clubs especially Club SIXTY NINE, lets get ready people! I think he is going to open an animal clinic with his girlfriend as his post retirement gig.

Nascar has a track out there also so he might be able to get the pace car out there for a few laps in his Monster Energy uniform.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The thread title is "How About Nevada?" Not "I'm Determined to Move to Pahrump, So There"

I don't think any of the responses were out of bounds or across state lines. Keep in mind that unlike you, this is a couple that already made one move for retirement and regretted it.

I think we were being helpful the best way we knew how.
You seem to be in an argumentative mood today going by the threads I've been reading. Happens to the best of us after experiencing stress. Hope your day is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement