Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:16 PM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times

Advertisements

while we would never go to a time share presentation we did get nabbed for a travel club presentation .

in charleston the tourist information center works in co-hoots with a company .

it was a rainy day and they told us there is a new competitor to expedia looking to make its mark . if we check it out we can book trips with big savings .

hey , i am not locked in to expedia so we thought we would check them out . what the heck , if we can book trips cheaper why not . they give you no names to research .

they promise you 150 bucks in gift cards for restaurants and sites . so we went .

we thought it was weird when they had everyone shut off their cell phones .

so they give you this presentation , and it turns out it is a travel club .

it cost 7k or so to join . but for attending it was 5k . you get to book trips supposedly for a fraction of the price plus get rebates on your trips. plus family and friends can book and they will get the discounts . plus you get rebates on their trips .

when i said i won't give them a dime without doing my due diligence on them as i don't know who they are , they told me all discounts are off the table once i leave the room .

well we did get 150 bucks in coupons which actually were good . for laughs i looked them up . their reviews are a horrow show with many states already booting them out.

i could not believe how many people got snookered that day to buy sight unseen , no reviews , no nothing .

basically the trips are cheaper from expedia .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 12:49 PM

17,603 posts, read 13,388,503 times
If the presentation sounds interesting MrsM and I will go. Our financial advisor is incredible. We have checked our funds and costs with 2 other banks and one of the major FA companies and they can't recommend any changes or touch her price.

We went to one dinner seminar talking about trusts. Extremely interesting. We decided that we needed a Family trust. Only problem, he was outrageously expensive.

I spoke to a good friend, a local judge, and asked for his recommendation.

We went to one of the top trust attorneys in the area and completed our trust at a thousand dollars under seminar sponsors "evening special price!"

Old 12-09-2018, 02:17 PM

5,456 posts, read 4,064,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
while we would never go to a time share presentation we did get nabbed for a travel club presentation .

in charleston the tourist information center works in co-hoots with a company .

it was a rainy day and they told us there is a new competitor to expedia looking to make its mark . if we check it out we can book trips with big savings .

hey , i am not locked in to expedia so we thought we would check them out . what the heck , if we can book trips cheaper why not . they give you no names to research .

they promise you 150 bucks in gift cards for restaurants and sites . so we went .

we thought it was weird when they had everyone shut off their cell phones .

so they give you this presentation , and it turns out it is a travel club .

it cost 7k or so to join . but for attending it was 5k . you get to book trips supposedly for a fraction of the price plus get rebates on your trips. plus family and friends can book and they will get the discounts . plus you get rebates on their trips .

when i said i won't give them a dime without doing my due diligence on them as i don't know who they are , they told me all discounts are off the table once i leave the room .

well we did get 150 bucks in coupons which actually were good . for laughs i looked them up . their reviews are a horrow show with many states already booting them out.

i could not believe how many people got snookered that day to buy sight unseen , no reviews , no nothing .

basically the trips are cheaper from expedia .

I went to one of those once, they had set up (temporary) shop in a vacant storefront. When I asked, how do I know you will still be in business a year from now, they hemmed and hawed. And I thought it would be a few hundred, nope THOUSANDS like you said. Not gonna happen.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:22 PM

Yep , I think it was on meeting st if I remember. The nerve to not let someone google them before spending thousands

Old 12-09-2018, 02:25 PM

558 posts, read 338,825 times
Marketing genius here. The technical phrase is “get them in the door”. Whatever it takes.

Get these all the time. Maybe they went to Zillow to find me. Doubt people on the east side of town get these invites.

Was at a software conference and talked to some guy about servers that I no authority to buy. Just to get a t-shirt.

Last edited by CatPeople; 12-09-2018 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
It's all about the marketing funnel - generating prospects (or, as CatPeople describes it, get them in the door).

https://i.postimg.cc/DZnM8Ww0/screenshot-413.png

Old 10-05-2019, 11:12 AM

14 posts, read 12,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course it is. I have been to many of these, and it has never cost me a cent. Delicious meals too.

So have I. I go to everyone I get an invitation to. I have a delicious dinner at a reasonably upscale restaurant and I have never parted with even a penny.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 AM

I bet these are the same people mooching these dinners who complain when clients or customers waste their time at their job

Old 10-05-2019, 12:32 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
We used to go when we lived back East. Most of the dinners were at upscale restaurants with first rate food. We were always self disciplined enough to resist the sale pitches. When we moved here the restaurant and food quality dropped off. Odd since this is generally an upscale and affluent area to live in. It degenerated into eating in the back of the restaurant sitting at card tables and eating chicken and mashed potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement