Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Bait, I tell you! Bait!
The taste is horrible. Who knows - I might take off New Year's and go to Bristol, where this a good sushi restaurant, and sample some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 07:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I have always been finicky. I am adventurous about trying new things, but I have standards about texture. I probably have 2047 food rules. Number 19 is the corn cannot be mixed in with the potatoes!

Certain things are allowed to touch. Turkey can touch both potatoes and gravy. Bread cannot touch gravy or potatoes. Stuffing is damp bread and not allowed on my plate. Wild rice stuffing is great, but must not touch gravy. Pizza cannot be eaten except when it's still hot from the oven. Once the cheese starts to lose it's ooze I won't touch it. Reheated it's disgusting.

Hot foods must be eaten hot. That is how I decide what to eat first on my plate. Sandwiches must be eaten at the time of assembly, not later in the day. I don't eat as much as I used to. I think restaurants should serve smaller portions.

You do realize it's all going to the same place? And everything will be jumbled up and touching everything else.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I don't eat as much pork or beef as I used to. Often I'm happy with a vegetarian meal. I've find I feel sluggish with a digestive system full of meat.

I also eat a lot less butter, cream, salt, sugar and fried food. I think my tastes gradually changed with the times. But I don't deliberately avoid those things and will eat them if they are served to me.

It would be impossible for me to eat the minimum daily requirements of food. I don't know how people can manage that.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I love to explore all foods and graze all day usually. No set times for anything but breakfast and that's about 9:30 or so.

Have not brought bread into this house for about 10 yrs, cutting way way back on the refined carbs and this too is saving dental visits. Don't go for some yrs now.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hi

My FIL says he "only eats when really really hungry ", which is probably why he only weighs about 125 pounds.

My father has said he wont eat but 2 times a day.

My OH doesnt like "bird", but will on ocassion eat tge chicken or turkey, only usually if i force the issue ( chix and roasted turkey are my favorites), and has gotten more adamant as my OH has gotten older.

Maybe you are one whose "food cannot touch each other"?

Thats what started this thread- i had a meatloaf, mashed tater and gravy, and corn for lunch/dinner- and i mixed the corn with the mashed potatoes and ate tyem together ( its all going to be mixed together at its destination after all)

So have you gotten more picky about eating as you aged?

Define "senior"? I am 63, and eat far more foods, and far healthier, than I ever did 20 years ago.
My dad however, who is 92, refuses to eat just about everything. He started off picky, and has become the pickiest eater I have ever seen. He has a mental issue with eating, I think.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
What really changed my father's diet before he died was that he lost his sense of smell - after that he would only eat a few familiar foods, which caused him to lose more weight than he should have.

The thing I developed was a shellfish allergy - at age 58. Never had a problem with it (or any other food allergy) before and I have always loved shrimp and scallops. Now I can't eat them at all and I have to be careful eating my favorite Thai foods because of the shrimp paste in a lot of the ingredients.

As the poster above mentioned, when I eat out I often find the food over-salted. I tend not to eat out at fast food, family, diner-style or chain restaurants, where the problem is the worst.
Boy, that brings back memories for me. A few years ago a lady I worked with came to work really sick with a bad cold and I wound up catching it. I totally lost my sense of smell and of course taste. Doctor said that it might or might not come back. Really was a miserable time. Didn't much care what I ate. We would go out for dinner with friends at a Thai restaurant we liked and everyone would talk about how great the food tasted and I'm just thinking "whatever". Couldn't smell wood smoke during the winter or a fragrant rose during the summer; nothing at all.

After a couple of years I had just given up and resigned myself to that being my life. Then very slowly, bit by bit it came back. Took about another year to get back to fully normal. First time that I visited my sister-in-law and walked out to her lilac and buried my nose in that wonderful fragrance, I felt like I had won the lottery!

As far as being a finicky eater, I've never been a fan of fish. Other than that, I'm always looking to try something new.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:26 AM

366 posts, read 214,359 times
Love hot spicy 🌶 foods and sauces
But can’t sleep thru the night anymore if I eat them very much 🥵
Have to hold back and practice moderation 🙄

Old 12-24-2018, 05:52 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
As I've not eaten meat or fowl for many years, I've always been picky when eating out as many restaurants include non-vegetarian broth in their soups.

As I age, I'm more mindful of what I put in my mouth due to wanting to maintain a healthy weight.

I'm appalled at how many people my age have "let themselves go" and much of that is a function of what they eat.

Apparently, poor eating habits leading to weight gain and lack of energy leading to attitude of giving up, too old to care, or too tired to care.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I'm not a "foodie" at all. I eat to survive and that's all. There's very few foods or restaurants that I truly love. I was never a picky eater but there are certain things I won't eat like veal because of the cruelty involved. I don't care for pork unless it's the kind you get in a Cuban restaurant that melts in your mouth. I don't eat refined carbs. The only vegetables I don't like are okra and peppers. I eat only when my stomach is growling and I eat very little and stop when I'm satisfied. It has helped me lose 30 pounds in the last 3 years and I'm only 5 pounds away from my goal.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
....So have you gotten more picky about eating as you aged?

Yes, when I am in control of the menu, whether I make something at home or eat out, I eat the same ten or less meals. Each is very simple to spartan.

If I eat at your house I will what you put in front of me, but not more than I want to. When I eat out at an ethnic restaurant then my choices are out of the ballpark compared to what I would usually eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement