Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Buy organic milk. It has a loooong shelf life. We haven’t had to throw milk away since.
I buy organic milk, but only pasteurized, not ultra-pasteurized. The ultra-pasteurized lasts forever, but is tastes like what it is - cooked, heavily scalded milk (UHT milk is heated past boiling). Pasteurized is heated as well, but not for the degree or length that ultra-pasteurized is.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 04:49 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I presume this is a joke, but there is reasonable evidence that some zinc products (particularly nasal sprays) can cause temporary to permanent loss of smell in some people. Generally that is considered a negative.

My anosmia is caused by chronic sinus inflammation. But there are other potential causes.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:34 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Bait, I tell you! Bait!
I thought so until I tried a bite of tuna sushi. Taste was . . . not bad. Aftertaste was . . . ambrosial!

But I don't get the thing of seared ahi for an entire protein in one's entree. A bite of raw is a wonder. A meal of it is . . . ewwwww!
'

Old 12-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Is it possible to develop IBS in your 60's? I guess I thought this was more of a life-long thing? I do have other auto-immune disorders, so it's possible I now have another one! Lucky me!
OMG yes. I used to love milk and cheese and dairy. I developed IBSD a couple of years ago, when I was in the habit of walking a couple of miles a morning for a cafe mocha. We went on a road trip where that wasn't an option. My IBSD quite quickly subsided. Lactose intolerance.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Campbell's canned soup are sodium bombs. Check the labels. Avoid, if you have any issues around sodium.

Progresso low-sodium soups are tasteless nastiness. Their classic soups aren't low sodium but they're much less ridiculously salty than Campbells.

it's not difficult to put together your own soup. Cook some protein, and some veg, and maybe some carb. Combine with some stock (check sodium and fat, or make your own). Much fresher and tastier, and you can control the salt and fat and flavor.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
No. But my eating evolved to healthier eating over the years, as I think it should. After all, I no longer wear clothes for a 20 year old, or have 20 year old friends, or stay out partying all night like a 20 year old, or bend over digging in soil for hours. So I eat like someone who has a few years on her and needs to take care of her health.

Smoking and drinking and staying up all night is one thing for a 20 year old, but very unhealthy for someone my age. The effect of bad habits build up in the body over the years.

So I've evolved into healthier eating over many years. It was very gradual. I still eat "bad" things, but far less often than when I was young.

I am picky about one thing. I don't like to eat out. I never did care for it, but now I actively avoid it more often, with an occasional exception.

BTW, eating only twice a day isn't being picky, IMO. In fact, Jack Lalanne (remember him?) ate only twice a day: around brunch time, and late afternoon/very early evening. I sometimes eat only twice a day. It's a natural thing to do, if you wake up late or don't like breakfast. My main meal of the day is lunch, and has been for decades.

To each his own.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
My eating habits have changed. I rarely eat lunch and if I do, it is an apple or avocado. I will eat anything for dinner - peanut butter sandwich is fine with me. A bowl of broccoli. A big steak. Cottage cheese. I don't care. But I really dislike dessert.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:48 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I feel so blessed that I can eat everything and anything yet at 68 going on 69, and couldn't sleep at night without my daily piece of cake with rich frosting.

I live in a 55+ community where we have Potlucks every month and that's when I feel even more blessed when I set down my baked dish and? If it's got peppers in it, any kind of pepper, I won't be able to eat it! Does this dish have garlic, if so, I can't eat it! That dish looks like it has beef in it and I can only eat pork and chicken! I've turned Vegan, can't eat it! Looks like cut up tomatoes in it, I can't eat tomatoes!

And no! I'm not going to bring 5 different dishes to Potluck every month!

Old 12-25-2018, 08:55 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I wish that I could live without having to eat. I have food intolerances, GERD, IBS, and whatever.

Every day is a challenge trying to figure out what won't upset my stomach, make my blood sugar level go crazy, or cause me to run to the bathroom multiple times.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:07 PM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Not really finicky, never was. I just don't eat as much, cut back on the creamed type sauces too since I don't seem to digest them well. Choose an earlier time to eat. When I was much younger, it didn't bother me as much eating past say, 6:30 or 7:30 pm. Oh, I don't consume as much candy/sweets like I used to do either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement