Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:46 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,455,962 times

Advertisements

Winter never bothered me. When I had to get on the highway to drive to work in winter weather, I was (am) terrified of black ice and sleet. Now that I live in a dry cold and don't have to get in the car, I don't mind at all. I love the sight on snow on the mountains. Haven't shoveled yet- it's powder, and just run the car over the plowed edges. The sun seems to get to the snow on the deck quickly.

I loathed summer back East more every year. I mean, mildew on your house? Everything sticky? The smell of rotting vegetation from the nearby woods? I blessed central a/c, but that was clammy and cold.

I seem to adapt to cold very well. Cannot stand humidity, never mind heat with it. It's gotten more so as I get older. Nothing like brilliant sun on the powder snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:48 PM

8,801 posts, read 5,104,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I remember as a kid loving winter and snow. Even into adulthood.

I am born and raised in NY and still live here.

We couldn't stay outside enough. If we got wet, we went home changed our clothes and went back out until dark: sledding, snow forts and snowball fights, ice skating. Even in my teens and 20s and 30s we were always outside, skiing, walking, snowmobiling, skating, etc.

We had large dogs and had harnesses and hooked the dogs to a sled and had the dogs pull our kids and the neighborhood kids around. Again seems like I was always out, even if just going to work, but also I went for walks, etc.

I'm 66 now and can't stand the cold and snow. I sit in the house and read or do housework. Sometimes I will even mention how pretty everything looks. But I only go out when I have to.

When did this start? Why?

Anyone else have this happen to? Was it just simple childhood joy, but now depression, a change in attitude, "old age" or am I just a curmudgeon?
Hi Karen, Remember your post about moving south.....no longer in the works? I to can not wait to move south. Hate the cold and snow.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,926,504 times
Blame it on arthritis and other maladies that cold weather affects.

My roots are on the OH/PA border where the term "lake effect snow" was commonly used during the winter.

I have always been an outdoor person but I knew in my late 40's the arthritis that was getting worse with each snowmobile ride and horse I broke, would not tolerate that cold-to-the-bone winter.

It's why I retired to southern Middle Tennessee, lollol. This area still has bone chilling/damp days but They are not near as many as up home therefore much easier to tolerate when I'm at the barn

Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,525,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Hi Karen, Remember your post about moving south.....no longer in the works? I to can not wait to move south. Hate the cold and snow.
Be careful of what you wish for, Once the kids moved on, sold the big house, bought a condo up North for Summer, and one in Florida. After five years as Snowbirds, decided to stay year round in Florida, lasted Three years, couldn’t take the H/H in Summer, tired of putting up hurricane shutters season after season in 90+ degree temps, moved to the mountains of Western NC, ahh, relief!

Old 12-26-2018, 07:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,448,530 times
One word: osteoarthritis.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:54 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
I am 61. Not retired, but around that age group. I love "the change of seasons" It's affirming and for me,it's almost a spiritual experience and a picturesque metaphor for life.

What I don't like is too much winter. I like winteer in December and January. I love a "White Christmas".

A "White March"? Not so much.

I've thought about places with "moderate climates" and for myself, here is what you get - winter is still cold, but no snow. Winter is ugly without snow. Bare trees. Brown and grey terrain. Not charming. Maybe spring is nicer in these areas, but not by much.

Autumn? You really have the nicest Fall foliage in the Middle Atlantic, North East, Mid West, and New England can not be beat.

In "moderate" climates", Summer is STILL unbearably hot. Horribly hot.

In a perfect world, I'd like a slightly shorter winter. But, I still love winter.

The two happiest states are Vermont and Hawaii. If I had the money, I'd live in both places and fly back and forth frequently

Old 12-26-2018, 08:03 PM

37,714 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:

We couldn't stay outside enough. If we got wet, we went home changed our clothes and went back out until dark: sledding, snow forts and snowball fights, ice skating. Even in my teens and 20s and 30s we were always outside, skiing, walking, snowmobiling, skating, etc.

We had large dogs and had harnesses and hooked the dogs to a sled and had the dogs pull our kids and the neighborhood kids around. Again seems like I was always out, even if just going to work, but also I went for walks, etc.

I'm 66 now and can't stand the cold and snow. I sit in the house and read or do housework. Sometimes I will even mention how pretty everything looks. But I only go out when I have to.

Anyone else have this happen to? Was it just simple childhood joy, but now depression, a change in attitude, "old age" or am I just a curmudgeon?
I've done exactly the opposite. Grew up in FLA, loved the sun and beach and always considered summer my favorite season. But as I've gotten older (and busier!!!) I find the time I have to spend on yardwork to be harder and harder to manage each year. I also despise our insane heat and humidty here, (SE VA) and it seems to get more uncomfortable each year. I seem to be ready for fall earlier every year. This year it was about the middle of June that I was over the heat.

I'll take winter any day. I can always throw on more clothes to warm up, but only so much you can remove to cool down!

Old 12-26-2018, 08:09 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,144,738 times
Quote:
Just so you know..... My wife and I retired north to 60 miles from Canada so we could be in the snow and cold.

But its all about having the right gear: clothing, boots, car, winter tires, woodstove, etc. And also we have the most enjoyable glorious summers too.

We were visiting some friends in the evening after dark who had rented a local house(we live in a resort area). They were complaining that the owner should have installed air conditioning because the house was just plain too hot. I said, “Ummm....you could open a window.” It was about 55 outside, and they were so used to having to have AIR to keep cool it just never occurred to them. So we opened a couple of windows and in short order, they had to close them because it was getting too cold.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,983,546 times
I am the opposite. After spending most of my adult life in MD, I moved to VT in retirement (followed my son, who loves the skiing, biking and other outdoor activities). I wish I could do all those activities but I have to be content with walking the dog and looking at the beautiful scenery. I live in an HOA community that takes care of the plowing.

I am enjoying the changes of seasons, and have learned to dress for the weather. Merino wool socks and long johns, and fleece, and down jackets keep me warm when I go out.The short days of December are a problem because I am not an early riser so I miss several hours of daylight every morning. (Vitamin D helps) And I just love spring, summer and fall when I can keep the windows open 24/7 and get that fresh air flowing through the house. So much nicer than living indoors in air conditioning for those 3 seasons in MD. The snow is beautiful -- as I said, I don't have to shovel and the town plows the streets very quickly when a storm comes through. It's very different and I like it.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
Fear of falling.... again. Tore my rotator cuff in 99. Tired of being cold. Tired of worrying about the slipperiness. Tired of moving snow. Tired of dodging idiots that can't drive on slippery roads without endangering everyone around them.

And it got worse when one of my phrenic nerves died and one diaphragm stopped working. As a result I cough non-stop when I go out in cold temps.

We live in Las Vegas now. Better.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement