Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 AM

244 posts, read 237,978 times

Advertisements

I know (knew) 370 Assembler language & Grace Hopper’s child. SQL Server and Business Intelegence was my programming swan song. Half Life II was the last “video” game I played. I am always up for a game of Upwords or WWF. Airplane mode games like Majong and Suduko too.

P.S. Also typed on an IPad Pro. Somehow an iPad while watching TV with the wife is more acceptable than using a laptop on the couch. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,914,069 times
I played some games and I have actually looked modern games but have zero interest in FPS (First Person Shooter) or games in which the goal and the method is to kill everything. I don't care if the violence is cartoony, it just isn't for me.

I've played a few games like The Room, which is a puzzle-solving adventure. I have a couple card games (Hearts, Spider) on my phone. I tried a few newer games on my phone, but I hate the way they have been taken over by ads and things to buy in the game.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-07-2019, 05:55 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,153,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The title mislead me. I thought the question would be about being tech savvy. Not being a gamer. This post was typed on my iPad.
Me too. I think of a technie as a sort of engineer, an innovator with model technology, someone who creates. Certainly I do not see a game player as that sort of person.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,914,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Me too. I think of a technie as a sort of engineer, an innovator with model technology, someone who creates. Certainly I do not see a game player as that sort of person.
Having worked in high tech, where about 30% of the engineers in my division stayed at their computers over lunch so they could all play a networked space shoot-em-up game, I think your definition needs expansion.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 01-08-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 AM

290 posts, read 252,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I know (knew) 370 Assembler language

Function calls? Hah! BALR 14, 15 should be good enough for anyone, now someone get those whippersnappers off my lawn!

Old programmer here. Started with EBCDIC and cards. Still programming but using IDEs like Visual Studio and Eclipse. I insist on getting some sort of *NIX ability (like Cygwin) on any computer I use so I can speak in my native language. My co-workers joke that "pullin2 can write Fortran in any language."

I was going to respond to StealthRabbit's post with something about EMACS, but I think we're required to have a duel afterward.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:02 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,203,552 times
Good thing you didn't, heard his weapon of choice might have been a COBOL....

Old 01-08-2019, 05:39 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,153,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Having worked in high tech, where about 30% of the engineers in my dividision stayed at their computers over lunch so they could all play a networked space shoot-em-up game, I think your definition needs expansion.
I bet few if any were baby boomers.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:12 PM

35,306 posts, read 31,695,045 times
IMO, modern (ish) computer games really started coming out in the mid 90s or so. I'm 32. I grew up on Doom and Age of Empires. If you go too much further back than that, you get into very simple games that are vastly different conceptually than what is popular today. It's unlikely someone who is currently retired would have gotten into gaming in the mid 90s.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,507,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I was going to respond to StealthRabbit's post with something about EMACS, but I think we're required to have a duel afterward.

Yeah, but did you write LISP functions to enhance the editor? I once worked with a guy who had a foot pedal for the META key.

I still use VI occasionally. On a lot of Linux hosts, it's the only editor that will work over telnet/ssh.

Back in the dark ages, I did a lot of cross development on VMS VAXes. EDT and the follow-on EVE editor.

I confess that these days, when I'm browsing source code, I'm usually using Notepad++. I don't write much software these days so I don't normally have any kind of power editor on my machine.

On the gamer thing....
The first post in the thread referenced Adventure. I never really got into it but I had co-worker friends who had elaborate maps of the whole game. I'd have to get coached and never memorized the whole thing. Drop the rod to get the bird. xyzzy. plugh.

I was pretty good at Dark Castle on the Macintosh back in the mid-late 1980's. I remember Leisure Suit Larry from that era on DOS machines. I mostly gave up computer games around 30 years ago.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,507,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I know (knew) 370 Assembler language & Grace Hopper’s child. SQL Server and Business Intelegence was my programming swan song.

I'm not sure why but I remember getting a bit of exposure to IBM 360 Assembly Language as an undergrad. We didn't have IBM machines on campus. I remember BALR was how you called a function/subroutine. ....it just came back to me. We had to write an IBM 360 Assembler in Xerox Sigma 6 assembly language for a course.

I can still look at 'C' code and tell you more or less what the Motorola 68000 assembly language compiler output would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement