Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:04 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,122,780 times

Advertisements

Can't say grocery store lines are moving all that faster, though. Just this week I made the mistake of buying a pizza at Harris Teeter. By the time I got out of there, it had gone cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 06:07 AM

6,781 posts, read 5,502,348 times
Im old enough to remember.

We as a family went grocery shopping just once a month, fist full of coupons, as my area was a "test market" area, so coupons loaded the mailbox and the local newspaper. Us kids went off with the coupons while mom and dad bought the staples that didnt have a coupon. We'd have at least 2 baskets full. ( buggies for you southerners)
We'd have a register tape receipt down to the floor from the old clickety-clack register run by the cashier, who was the mother of a school mate of mine.

And of course we got lots of S&H Green stamps!!!
Licking them and sticking them in the books...yuk!

On another note,
I knew in the very early 80s when personal computers came out that along with them and things like phones and pagers, that soon every one would have what i then called a "PCD"...A Personal Communications Device...and oh, looky...a smart phone IS ONE. It does a lot of what computers do, acts as a phone and texts as a pager, and of course you can make calls. The one aspect i didnt see coming was GPS. Missed that one. I also knew we'd have programs fir things on the PCD, and looky....we "have an app for that"!!!

I use tge self checkouts and have no problem with the simple ones like Walmart uses. Complicated ones i dont like.

*and I'll use paper coupons and count out my pennies at the cashier whenever I want!*

Thank you for this stroll down amnesia lane

Old 01-04-2019, 06:09 AM

13,669 posts, read 9,746,929 times
This wasn't substantially long ago. Does anyone remember a time before cash-register machines, when purchases were recorded in ink, on a paper ledger?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:09 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,122,780 times
LOL the green stamps and the coupon folders. We definitely used both of those! I got a lot of my first appliances through that stamp book.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:12 AM

129 posts, read 82,675 times
I worked as a cashier at Frank's Nursery and Crafts. We didn't get scanners until maybe 1992, so up until then we had to key the prices off the price tags. And we had to MEMORIZE the sales ads.... not too big of a deal until the Christmas Craft Sale Booklet came out each November. This was a booklet with around 75 pages showing holiday craft items and decorations. I remember dreading this because each page had a half-dozen or so tiny items on sale, some only a few cents off the regular price. But if you accidentally charged someone 59 cents instead of 55 cents for their unpainted plaster Christmas ornament, it was almost like you reached into their throat and pulled out their still-beating heart. Some people understood that it was a simple error and just asked you to correct it - no big deal. Others would literally scream at you and a manager would have to come over and calm them down and explain that we had to do all the sales from memory and we were not trying to steal anything from them.

I think everyone should have to work as a cashier or in fast food for at least a year when they are young. It gives you a whole new appreciation for the crap they have to put up with, and hopefully makes you a nicer person.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:20 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,526,803 times
I never figured out why those, still in the stone age, that must write a check at the check out, will not have the check book out until the entire order is rung up and totaled, then will start filling it in. It drives me crazy.

Rant over!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This wasn't substantially long ago. Does anyone remember a time before cash-register machines, when purchases were recorded in ink, on a paper ledger?
Only in my own printing company. But I DO remember before credit card scanners, when there was an actual paper BOOK you had to look up someone's credit card number to be sure it was valid. Sheesh! With that imprinter machine....some places still keep them around for when the power goes out. But now the cc numbers are no longer embossed on many cards.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,898,134 times
I remember actually being able to write a check at the store, or signing the little notebook they kept with a promise to pay later if I didn't have the money.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,950,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Heh! Some years back I got a job as a desk clerk at one of the local motels. Both the owner and the manager were even older than I am, and I'm OLD! The two of them showed me how to enter each guest's name and room charge in in blue ink in an old fashioned legarbook.

Back in the early 90's I got a Christmas job at Sears in their electronics department. People would come in and want to buy a TV or a stereo or whatever that was "made in America." I had to sadly inform them that even RCA TV's were all being made in Korea or Japan. American businesses had all flown the coop for warmer climes after NAFTA was passed.

I miss "made in USA" electronics, clothing, shoes, etc.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
In the Sixties our town still had a number of little ma and pa grocery stores scattered in the neighborhoods. You walked in and handed your list to the person behind the counter and they went and got everything you needed while you waited at the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement