Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 01:32 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,242,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
As I said, I don't think the discounts are offered to seniors because everyone thinks elderly people are poor.

I rather think they are offered to seniors as a sign of respect and in recognition for having lived a rich, long life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I agree. My husband and I sometimes take advantage of senior discounts if we go out to eat and we appreciate the savings.
I actually think it is a marketing thing. Seniors tend to be regular customers. A senior discount is a very cost effective way to "hook" a regular customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 02:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We've been through this any number of times. It's why the math works better if you're in a high cost of living region. Your career wages are going to be higher so you'll get a bigger Social Security check. Your house will be worth far more. You likely will contribute more to your 401(k). You always have the option to move to what Mathjak calls "cheapsville" to free up all that home equity and reduce your living costs. That's the retirement strategy of countless people in the Northeast Corridor and west coast high cost of living areas.
Gotta agree with Mathjak. It's not nonsense. I project that I will qualify to max. SS when the time comes. Everything you stated above speaks to choice, planning, and intention.

FYI, even in middle America places like Iowa, there are people making over $125k a year. No everyone but some people.

I've recently learned from the Employment forum that American workers don't need money. So there you go.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM

107,031 posts, read 109,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Gotta agree with Mathjak. It's not nonsense. I project that I will qualify to max. SS when the time comes. Everything you stated above speaks to choice, planning, and intention.

FYI, even in middle America places like Iowa, there are people making over $125k a year. No everyone but some people.

I've recently learned from the Employment forum that American workers don't need money. So there you go.
you just need the kind of career that starts you out in the upper brackets . most of us ramp up over decades of time so for us it would be hard to max it for 35 years .

but for professionals it can be no problem . right out of law school when they hired my son he was maxing the limit 10 years ago . pop on over to the white coat investor forum on facebook . the incomes early on many have are pretty high day 1

Old 01-18-2019, 02:42 PM

33 posts, read 34,781 times
I can live on ss if i want to. I get 2833.40 this year since i started at 70. My mortgage is 1400 a month, i pay about 7k a year taxes and insurance and about 500 a month for food and utilities. I do have investments but don't need them, no debt except mortgage so cola is twice as valuable since mortgage is fixed.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 PM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it all depends where you live and why . ha ha ha here in the tristate area it cost more per month then 700 bucks for taxes .
I know. I have previously owned houses in high COL states/countries. After I retired I migrated to a low COL state on purpose.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,386,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm single and will be getting about $1800 a month on SS. I'm planning not to have a house payment, car payment nor credit card payments. I'll actually have more available money to live on with SS alone than I do now working full time. It's how I've been planning it and I'll start taking SS at 62. My lifestyle won't change except I'll be able to move to a better area with a lower cost of living which I've been wanting to do for many years.
If you own a home, you will still have property taxes and home owner's insurance. I wanted to mention this because people mistakenly think if they have their mortgage paid off, that frees up the entire cost and that's not true.

If you sell your home and rent an apartment, the cost per month might be higher than keeping the house and paying for property taxes and home owner's insurance.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,386,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
AARP is always saying more and more people are retiring & have nothing but social security to live on.
I"m wondering how true that is and if it is true - how are you making ends meet when housing costs would have to be more then half the monthly social security max?
Many retire, collect SS and live with a family member. So in that case, if they don't have to make contributions to the monthly mortgage or rent, that's huge.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:10 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,142,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
If you own a home, you will still have property taxes and home owner's insurance. I wanted to mention this because people mistakenly think if they have their mortgage paid off, that frees up the entire cost and that's not true.

If you sell your home and rent an apartment, the cost per month might be higher than keeping the house and paying for property taxes and home owner's insurance.
Not all places have property taxes.

Mine fall below the homestead exemption.
Places have exemption for disabled vets, seniors (or lock them in) etc.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:20 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,918,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I did not know that!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 AM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post

'might be' is the operative phrase in that post.

I own a large farmhouse in a low COL area. I do not have homeowner insurance since I have no mortgage there is no 'requirement' to have insurance. My property taxes are around $857 a year [or $71.42/month].

My pension pays me $1600/month, and I have been saving most of that. Using my savings I recently bought a commercial building that I am remodeling into apartments. I will soon be a Landlord. These will be 'low income' housing, as single-occupancy efficiency apartments, and they will rent for $350/month. [$450/month if the tenant wants me to provide utilities].

My home is 2400 sq ft, it sits on 150 acres of land, and my cost in property taxes is $71/month.
As compared to a 1bdrm efficiency apartment that would cost $350/month.

In my mind, 71 is a good deal less than 350. Your results may vary.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement