Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,146,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's not necessarily the "spending money" part, it's the wasted time and foregone opportunities. I'm still pretty young, but I can't get back wasting my early 20s on computer games and older women. Once the time is gone, it is gone forever.

If those are things you really enjoyed, maybe it's not really wasted. After all, it brought you joy (which I think it must have, since you are still doing the same thing. Spending all day on city-data talking to retired people isn't that much different from spending all day on computer games and older women.) Computer time and spending time with older people make you happy, that's not such a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 05:57 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Say you were one of the lucky ones. You avoided the three big ones, Illness, Divorce, and Unemployment. Invested wisely, lived frugally, and all your close relatives and friends are doing well enough never to ask for a handout.

But now you find yourself on a big wad of cash that's waiting to be spent but not enough time to spend it or your body is too worn and beat up to enjoy travel and other hobbies.

Anyone regret being too thrifty in your younger years? Of course hindsight is 20/20.
Why would people regret having a wad of cash saved and invested?

Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I honesty think I had the right balance. For a time I was making pretty good money, this allowed us to do things like take trips to Alaska or the Caribbean. But even then we stayed at inexpensive motels and were careful to save on meals etc. We lived a good life while still being responsible.
Bada Bing! Cake then and now enjoying every bite!

Old 02-23-2019, 06:13 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,146,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why would people regret having a wad of cash saved and invested?

So true, so true.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Living below your means then means living with means now!
Sounds like a plan to many. Many not all!

Old 02-24-2019, 07:03 AM

20,713 posts, read 16,528,284 times
Nobody is saying you shouldn't save. But the question seems to be did you save to the point where you denied yourself lots of things you really wanted and now once retired feel let down somehow. That you really didn't need to deprive yourself so much THEN to be happy and secure NOW.

Lots of people never get to the point where they enjoy their retirement because they can't get out of "scrimp and save" mode - those are the people I feel sorry for and exactly what I don't want to be. Saving for no purpose seems very sad and empty.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,855,406 times
I can’t spend my money now, we’ll not fast enough. When I was younger, that’s a different story.

I have a credit card to open to get reward points and I’m still waiting closer to the must open date before I apply. I do have a trip coming up that will fill the minimum of requirement. Other than that I can’t think of anything to spend. I wonder if we get more sensible as we get older or what. I don’t even eating out as much, different from just 6 months ago where we at least dine out twice a week. And they are not for money reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement