Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 21,708 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forum but so far haven't found this topic. A new Del Webb will built in another year in my area (Northern VA). I'll be 57 and husband 53, not retired, but looking to downsize. Wondering if we would be way younger then everyone. Each community differs I'm sure, but wondering what the average age tends to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 09:53 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
I would say in any community you are definitely the yourner set. I would say maybe 10% of the full time residence are probably working full time jobs but their ages could be a lot higher than yours.

I would go to similar communities in your area and ask about the age etc of the residences. I could see a lot of working people in your area as opposed to mine.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineydays View Post
I've searched the forum but so far haven't found this topic. A new Del Webb will built in another year in my area (Northern VA). I'll be 57 and husband 53, not retired, but looking to downsize. Wondering if we would be way younger then everyone. Each community differs I'm sure, but wondering what the average age tends to be?
For sure, everyone there will get older and pretty soon you will be the old people. I know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I live in Northern VA, not too far from the Hovanian Four Seasons. The age limit varies there. I'm 55 and I'd have no issues moving in there. A coworker of mine moved there in his 50s (continues to work full time) and loves the the place. I think in NoVA you have a good shot of getting a mix of empty nesters/early retirees in that neighborhood. A lot of people senior in their careers but still working are looking for something like that. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it in NoVA (and by NoVA I don't mean Fredericksburg).

Old 12-23-2018, 05:39 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
You will be part of the younger set but only because of the aging of the people that also moved there when they were your age. Most of my friends and neighbors(me included) moved here in their 50's even though they are now in their 60's, 70's, and 80's.

Depending on the size of the community age may not be a problem. We have 27,000+ homes with people moving in daily so there are always new young people coming in. If you move to a place with 700 or 1200 homes there may not be much turnover and it may seem older to you even if the average age is the same in both places. You just won't be seeing as many new young people everywhere you go.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:27 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Del Webb and other communities are not all the same. We lived in one in Arizona for some years. We went there I was 65, when we left I was 80. You start off young and then age. There were 4 Del Webb communities in the area, all built at different times. They grew more affluent as they went along. The one we were in was Sun City West and had a population of 29000. It was not in the boondocks, Phoenix was 15 miles away.

Del Webb properties are all over the country. Plus there are others of the same type.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 21,708 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback and happy New Year

Old 01-01-2019, 10:43 AM

78 posts, read 113,518 times
I have heard people say that the brand new ones attract younger people who then all age together as opposed to one that is let's say 10 years old and the majority of those people were in late 50's, early 60's when they moved in. Not sure if true

Old 01-01-2019, 10:49 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Just curious - you really feel "ready" at mid 50's to go to a community like this? Do you just want to be settled and not have to think about it any more? Or do you think there'll be enough younger seniors to socialize with?

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineydays View Post

There was a big thread on cd
https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...riences-2.html

and then this

https://www.topretirements.com/blog/...tell-you.html/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement