Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:37 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times

Advertisements

That is why when we retire we will purge most of our things and what is left will go in the trash indeed . Im not paying someone to haul off what I can take to goodwill or whatever . I think it is just better to start purging after you are retired and that way when my kids have to clean out my home there wont be that much to do . My father before he passed he would see the peoples family just take the stuff out of the house and dump it to the corner for the trash man and he and my aunt would say "I never want my kids to have to do this " . He did not leave hardly anything and for that I am so grateful . we had to take the furniture out and the park where he lived bought it from us . My aunt has no kids so im wondering when I get that call she still lives in that park . I hope she has done what my dad did .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times
I give old clothes to my art teacher. She uses them to clean painting oil.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
That is why when we retire we will purge most of our things and what is left will go in the trash indeed . Im not paying someone to haul off what I can take to goodwill or whatever . I think it is just better to start purging after you are retired and that way when my kids have to clean out my home there wont be that much to do . My father before he passed he would see the peoples family just take the stuff out of the house and dump it to the corner for the trash man and he and my aunt would say "I never want my kids to have to do this " . He did not leave hardly anything and for that I am so grateful . we had to take the furniture out and the park where he lived bought it from us . My aunt has no kids so im wondering when I get that call she still lives in that park . I hope she has done what my dad did .
My grandmother's neighbors died about ten years ago. The wife went first, and the husband was sent to a nursing home, dying shortly thereafter. The only living child is a COO of a metro Boston based company, and didn't have a lot of time to go through his parents' possessions here in Tennessee.

The son ended up having a dumpster delivered, and had our family and a few friends from the parents' church help with the cleanup. People took a few things, but I'd say 80% of it went straight into the dumpster.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
We have a long running ad on our local listserv for a piano for $2500, "moving costs not included" !!! Boy, if I ever pay that much for a piano, they better move it in, clean my whole house, and change the oil in my car. And deliver dinner. Problem around here is there is a local piano dealer who gives "appraisals". And you know those are written in stone.

I would love a free piano too, I actually have room in the living room for a grand piano, something I always wanted. But the configuration of front door and door to LR makes it unlikely one would fit in.
Yes, that's what I'm wondering. Even for an upright, could I get it into my condo?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing I've never understood is that people always seem to think things like old clothes, old furniture, whatever, should just be donated to The Salvation Army or similar.

I need to do a major clothes purge again. I have things that don't fit any longer. I have clothes that family bought me for Christmas or birthday and I don't care for the style or whatever.

No one is going to want a lot of these old things. Sometimes the trash is the best solution.
Why don't you understand that? Since the Salvation Army has all these thrift stores, that's how they get the stuff they sell, as long as it's not ruined and is still usable.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, that's what I'm wondering. Even for an upright, could I get it into my condo?
They come apart. A piano place can do that, then box it for you, if needed. Ours was boxed and fit right between the arms of the couch for shipment.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,333,880 times
When I move to a smaller place my plan is to take what I want and then contact an on line auction site to sell whats left. They sell everything . Clothes in the closet. Dishes in the cupboard. And whatever is left they haul off.

They take pics and post your items online for bidders. Auctions usually last a week. Nobody comes to your house until pick up day. And then they wait in a designated area and the workers bring the items out to them. No one comes in your house. Pick up usually lasts 2-3 hours. Some sites have off site locations for pick up. They do charge a hefty commission but they get rid of everything. I prefer them to on site auctions. I don't want hoards of Lookie Loos trampling thru my Petunias all day.

They don't post the exact address until pickup day. Usually just closest cross roads. I wouldn't worry about people casing the house. A lot of the auctions are clean outs so most people would assume that every thing would be gone after the auction.

My husband is addicted to these things. We are now two boxes short of being hoarders. Ive given up trying to down size until we move. (Sigh)

Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM

1,347 posts, read 947,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing I've never understood is that people always seem to think things like old clothes, old furniture, whatever, should just be donated to The Salvation Army or similar.

I need to do a major clothes purge again. I have things that don't fit any longer. I have clothes that family bought me for Christmas or birthday and I don't care for the style or whatever.

No one is going to want a lot of these old things. Sometimes the trash is the best solution.
I think it's fine to donate to SA/Goodwill/etc - they will determine what is worth putting out on the sales floor vs. what to trash.

Many people have a very hard time detaching from their stuff, even if they personally don't want it anymore. It's just hard for them to envision an item that they still think has some life left in it, going to the trash. In their minds, surely there is *someone* out there who wants it and can use it.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:48 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Why don't you understand that? Since the Salvation Army has all these thrift stores, that's how they get the stuff they sell, as long as it's not ruined and is still usable.
A lot of people seem to view places like this as a dumping ground for anything they have that they no longer want.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Don't the legs come off for moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement