Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,247,154 times

Advertisements

I did it. It took about 30 years of regular investing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 AM

587 posts, read 444,918 times
Lyft is going public with it's IPO this week. Invest some money and see what happens.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM

157 posts, read 91,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmartino View Post
could someone become rich by buying stocks

yes, but it takes money to make money in the stock market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmartino View Post
and if so, how long would they have to wait to see some serious return...
generally speaking your entire adult working life...tho not everyone...again, generally speaking

Old 04-01-2019, 08:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 620,869 times
Do it with low cost, well diversified mutual funds. Hire a fudiciary advisory firm with a significant research arm. Do your part, Consistently invest overtime. It adds up, you can end up sitting on millions but it takes time.

Savant Capital mgmt out of the mid west.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:46 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The best time for individual stock trading was during the dot com boom years. I had days that made or lost over $100K, a bad day was making only $5K. At the end I lost over a million of my gain.
I knew quite a few people who lost it all during that time. It seems nobody could say "Enough" and walk away. For some reason I didn't get caught up in the irrational exuberance. It wasn't because I was smarter than everyone else.

IMO, the best way to make money on equities is to get stock as a gift or incentive.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
buying the dot coms was speculating not investing .... speculating you try to profit way above what markets are returning by trying to pick just the right stocks , at just the right time , in just the right sector .. the problem is even if you got all that correct , you still don't know what the competitors have on their drawing boards

Old 04-02-2019, 06:10 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,275,777 times
That's how I got there and I'm a multi. Assets first hit $1 million in 2005, and I'd been working exactly 30 years. Part of that was $300K capital gains from 2 houses DH and I sold in 2003 when we married and moved to a LCOL area but, OTOH, I had some "lean" savings years when I was married to my Ex, who was a spendthrift and was unemployed the last 5 years of the marriage.

I'd also say it's pretty hard to become a millionaire WITHOUT investing in stocks unless you're very good at real estate investing and being a landlord. CDs won't do it.

I can't go into all the lessons learned here- just educate yourself, start out simple (a few good mutual funds or a reasonable allocation of ETFs) and don't throw everything you have into what's hot or panic and sell at the bottom.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 AM

I don't know... We own very little stock, other than that granted as compensation from various tech firms and we're doing all right.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:04 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,275,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't know... We own very little stock, other than that granted as compensation from various tech firms and we're doing all right.
My main concern is earning a big enough return to exceed inflation so that the purchasing power of my nest egg doesn't decrease over time. My long-term average rate of return is 6%, and my net worth has increased by 2.9%/year on average in the 4.5 years since I retired, AFTER withdrawals. Both reassure me that my crazy travel budget is sustainable.

Your picture may be different, especially if you have COLA pensions in addition to SS- I have only SS plus a couple of small non-COLA pensions that won't be worth much 20 years from now.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My main concern is earning a big enough return to exceed inflation so that the purchasing power of my nest egg doesn't decrease over time. My long-term average rate of return is 6%, and my net worth has increased by 2.9%/year on average in the 4.5 years since I retired, AFTER withdrawals. Both reassure me that my crazy travel budget is sustainable.

Your picture may be different, especially if you have COLA pensions in addition to SS- I have only SS plus a couple of small non-COLA pensions that won't be worth much 20 years from now.
Nope, no pensions, though it must be nice to have one. Or two. Or three.

Our retirement income will be from RMDs, an annuity, rent receipts from the Silicon Valley house, SS for each of us, REIT dividends, and draws from my online business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement