Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:09 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As you got older, did you get more stuff coming in from friends and family passing away?
I haven't received anything in many years, but I was very appreciative for what I inherited, especially from my grandmother. I have several pieces of wood inlay, antique furniture, including a fern stand, all of which bring many compliments. I also have a couple of statues of hers that are attractive and have sentimental value for me.

I am hopeful that a dear older friend will leave me some of the wonderful oil paintings she painted during her lifetime, though I don't want to ask. I bought about five of her oil paintings at a small discount over the years, and I would love to have more. She is very talented. This is one reason that I don't like open floor plans. I need walls for art, especially as I just started painting myself this past month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
No, my relatives (grandother, grandfather, aunt) didn't have a penny to their name and if they did I'm sure my mother would've obtained it.

I also can't depend on my father, mother, or step father leaving me anything because they're not obligated to.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,106 times
I have been slowly getting rid of stuff after a couple of deaths in last 5 years. Still have a box of silver serving dishes and stuff I want to try to sell. Some of it is sad to dump but if we don't want it seems silly to keep it. Plus, I do get some pleasure getting rid of it - giving it away or selling it on Ebay or CL.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
My Dad is 90, my Mom passed in 2007 and we have gone through a lot of her stuff. Some jewelry resides in one of my Dad's safes. He has 2000 sq ft plus 1500 sq ft shop. Not cluttered, very clean, although tons of stuff. he has said point blank I get the Grandfather Clock, because my brother already has a grandmother clock bought by my parents. I point blank don't want it, no room for it along with the other antique clocks my Mom collected. That's just hardly even beginning to describe what is in that house, valuable stuff that I'm sure neither me nor my brother want. I don't want a house as a shrine with my parents stuff. I'm 66 and live on an acre, next to my Dad with 9 acres. For instance today we were looking for "bump it's" plastic things to secure a glass inlay for a table I have, you wouldn't believe the stuff I found while looking for those little things.

I have offered to say Hey lets just go through this shelf or this drawer, then answer is NO. He thinks it will be fun and surprising for my brother and I to do it all after he is gone. Like I said, very organized and clean. The shop stuff is full of machinery my brother will want to continue a knife making business as my Dad has done as a hobby, very well known hobby, with lots of awards.

I don't forsee any problems with my brother, but I do not intend to tell my Dad what I don't want. I figure there will be separate stickers.....Me, brother, sell, give away....that's it. Many things are worth money but may take lots of time and trouble to sell them on E Bay.....like Pendelton shirts, original made in Pendelton Oregon, go for about 150.00. but lots of time to post on E Bay.

I'm just torn on what to do. Can't keep everything that is valuable and sentimental at the same time. Great Grandmas stuff, Grandmas China and Crystal...it just feels overwhelming. I have no idea what to do when the time comes.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
Looks like you live in California... sigh... I live just outside of St Louis MO. If you lived within 100 miles of me, I would gladly drive the nutcrackers out to you. But they would have to ride in the trunk on the way out there!
This cracked me up! Do they need to look out the window?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:27 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Yes, of course. In my family anyway.
My mom got stuff from my aunt and a cousin.
When my mom started to need a caregiver we got rid of some things.
If not for that pre-emptive clean out/decluttering, I'd have inherited that stuff -- AND hers.

This is a generalization, but I think I'm of the last generation that is more than OK with -- or just accepts -- inheriting old stuff and things that previous generations have handed down At least in my family, I don't think my nieces and nephews want too much of anything from me or their parents. At least not just for sentimental reasons.

IF they like some clothing or jewelry -- or just happen to need a piece of furniture at the time (or want to take pieces to replace their own) they might take a few pieces. But I don't see them being interested other than than. Most already have their own houses and apartments set up. And even those just starting out aren't chomping at the bit for hand-me-downs.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 AM

129 posts, read 82,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
This cracked me up! Do they need to look out the window?
Nope - I just don't want to glimpse in the rear view mirror and find that one has escaped the plastic bin and is looking at me!!! Really - those things are super-creepy.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Anyone who has old photos, marriage licences, death certificates, etc -- if you don't want them, find someone in your family who is interested in genealogy and give it to them. These items are invaluable for someone doing a family tree.
exactly - even ask the original town it/they were issued at - they might want them for their history collection.

Those type of things are the only things i would want.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
Nothing from my mother except a glass paperweight and a modest inheritance split 7 ways. From my father, a similarly modest inheritance split 7 ways and a few documents and photos. Neither of them was a collector, nor am I.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:32 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We live too far away and have moved too often to have anything but a few books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement