Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM

705 posts, read 563,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLakota View Post
Just curious of the demographics of the forum.

What are the benefits to the location you chose?

Our area will be geared towards health-Proximity to trails for riding, clean air & water, accessible organic food, and hopefully, not too far from a small/ large hospital but that's not imperative.
We stayed in Texas but a different location because it offered much more affordable living, lots of fresh produce year round, we buy organic. It offered retirement communities and Very mild winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 11:44 AM

119 posts, read 121,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Housing costs. Yes, compared to some areas, where we live is more expensive than some other places, but with a median home price of $280K it is dirt cheap compared to LA or SanJose. Imagine selling your house in a Bay Area city for $800K and buying the same size house for $300K. Its no wonder where I live is a popular retirement area for some people from the San Francisco Bay Area.

With that said, my wife’s best friend and my good friend of 45 years remain in The Bay Area in retirement, because that’s where home is. Cheap living is not the most impotant factor in life. Side note: I misstated something. We both have lived in our location for 17 years. I retired three years ago and Mrs5150 just retired last week
Sounds like the perfect location, 25 miles from a ski resort. Do you get alot of snow?

We are looking into starting to ski which we did in high school eon's ago. A ski resort with Mtn Biking too so we can do both, somewhat.

We also like to hike so where there are ski resorts, there are hills it seems.
280K is pretty reasonable for a home. We like some snow but not snow that lasts an entire winter.

Otherwise we're looking into the Oregon area, either on the coast or maybe the town of Oakridge, Oregon.

Possibly Cresecent City which is on the Coast but closer to Ft Dick area where the forest begins.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,980 times
Retired and staying in NY.

Not sure if people who are not from NY realize how scenically beautiful this state is.

For a retiree living just 2 hours from NYC our property taxes are significantly more tolerable than the suburbs around NYC. Once my wife retires and we start collecting SS our retirement income will be largely exempt from state income tax.

Excellent health care. Proximity to dozens of towns and activities to occupy our time. Do not have to just sit around the house, there's always something to do if you want. Lots of friends in the community.

Wife said she has no interest in snowbirding. We don't mind the winters here, the snow totals are lower along the Hudson than the higher elevations to the west in the Catskills and to the east in the Berkshires.

And most importantly, it looks like all 3 kids are or will be staying in the area. We're very close with the offspring and it's hard to imagine that family dynamic changing very much.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM

8,784 posts, read 5,083,464 times
Anyone retire to Delaware? Doing some research on places to retire, and Delaware looks very nice. with it`s low cost of living, beautiful beaches, and short winters. Checked out the Delaware thread, not much going on there.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,211,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLakota View Post
Just curious of the demographics of the forum.

What are the benefits to the location you chose?

Our area will be geared towards health-Proximity to trails for riding, clean air & water, accessible organic food, and hopefully, not too far from a small/ large hospital but that's not imperative.
My husband retired but we didn't really retire TO our new location. We came here because this is where our son, wife and grandchildren live. However there has been some major added pluses to living in Arizona I hadn't realized, such as amazing hiking, landscape, interesting history and towns, healthy lifestyle, near great healthcare, daily swimming in the summer.

As to the question "what if your son moves?" well since we already considered all these options etc before we moved to Arizona it's not something we are concerned about.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:27 PM

17,352 posts, read 11,316,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Anyone retire to Delaware? Doing some research on places to retire, and Delaware looks very nice. with it`s low cost of living, beautiful beaches, and short winters. Checked out the Delaware thread, not much going on there.
I've never heard of Delaware as being low cost of living. It's always ranked above average cost on anything I've read. I'm certain it's a beautiful state.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,464 times
Quote:

Some years ago I was considering Delaware. Did all the research on cost of living, etc.

It met my hopes but I didn't act on them since there were other places I liked, too.

Sadly, I believe Delaware has become more expensive. But would be worthwhile for you to do some investigating to answer your questions. Good Luck.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,122,236 times
We considered the beach cities of Delaware. They're very appealing during the warmer months, but there's about a 6-month stretch where they feel like ghost towns and many of the businesses are shut down. To some people, that's heaven, but it wasn't appealing to us. Even Lewes shuts down quite a bit. We rented a place in one neighborhood and when we went to stay there in November there were only 2-3 homes in the whole community that had any evidence that someone was living there. We'd drive past one empty house after another. It was creepy.

Some other observations, good and bad:

We weren't thrilled with the hospital there, although I hear it has improved since the time that we looked. We also had friends who lived there and had problems with tourists renting a place next door, or down the street, and partying all night long. In addition, make sure that when you buy a place you are buying the property, not just the house. Some parts of some towns are zoned so you cant own the property your house is on.

Having said that, there are pluses to living in DE. It's fairly convenient to several major metro areas, yet a world apart. Taxes are very low there. And it's a very pretty place, with nice beaches and lots of places to walk (as long as you stay on your side of the highway. Crossing the 1 is an easy way to get killed, LOL.) And yes, if you want to live in the NE, have relatively mild winters, and be within an easy drive of the ocean, Delaware is probably the least expensive place for that.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 04-08-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 01:38 PM

16,398 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
It was a late comer on our list of places to consider.

We did NOT want to live in the beach communities. They ARE beautiful but you have to deal with all of the traffic related to the beach.

We also did not really want to live in Wilmington or its suburbs as it appeared to be very urban and congested.

Kent County was attractive as a location to consider but we decided that Arizona met our needs better.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:42 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,424,551 times
We moved to the Big Island of Hawaii before retiring, and planned to stay.
But it's an island, and we got bored with our limited options. For instance, if you take a road trip, you can be home in time for dinner.

Now we're in Arizona. Lots more options for easy travel, entertainment, social interaction, and medical care. But I don't know that this is our last home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement