Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 AM

16,115 posts, read 10,787,662 times

Advertisements

I did both -- retired in place for thirteen years and then cashed in and got the heck out of there. I wish I had gone earlier but I'm making up for my slow start. I recently went back to visit family and friends and become reacquainted with my old allergies. Those occasional trips back make me appreciate my new home even more. I've been to most states and I suppose one can find something to like in each one. Sometimes you have to squint and hold your mouth funny to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I admit I never understood why the high percentage of people that up and move to an extreme deviation from where they worked or lived most of their life are then shocked they don’t like it. It’s perfectly understandable (to me) to hate having to live long winters, and wanting a nicer climate (or brutal heat and want a more temperate one), but to move from say Michigan to Az has got to be a shock on so many fronts, and not just weather. People and attitudes are often radically different.
I think that people know the change will be extreme, they know about extreme heat or cold, but they don’t know how they will react to those extremes

Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
that makes at least (3) c-d posters who have chosen NO WI for Retirement, I enjoy it during most seasons, but glad they can enjoy it year round ! It's possible, quite a few people do it!

I prefer winters in windswept WY or northern ID. (or NZ! on occasion)
Ideally... A Yellowstone or Teton NP lodge for the winter.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 AM

4,541 posts, read 3,766,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife and I spent three years checking out potential retirement locations. Part of this was actually living in some of the potential locations, moving around, living full time in our Rv. Our final decision is being put in motion tomorrow, we're headed for northern Wi.

We considered everything, col, taxes, weather, family proximity, health care services etc.

Now everyone uses different criteria, but my advice here is go slow. We met a lot of people and learned some made some very hasty decisions, made mistakes, and cost themselves a lot of money.

I'm also saying, live where you want to settle during the worst weather of the year. If you have alergy problems, stay during the worst of the alergy season in that location. There are lots of snow birds who cannot take the summer heat of Az. They are almost all gone now. Our location is like a ghost town compared to Jan, and there isnt much going on. So stay in Fl or Az for the summer if you're considering a permanent move south. Good luck.
You were smart to try out different areas. An RV is a perfect solution for trying out many areas and getting a good feel for a place. Time needs to be spent with everyday living to know a place.

We never planned to move when we retired. We loved our son’s area of FL and knew it well from many visits. We helped him with some home projects, so beside the beaches and tourists attractions, we got to know the everyday living. Housing prices were higher than we were comfortable with though, so it wasn’t in our thoughts to move there.

The housing bust changed our minds about moving and shook us out of our complacency. It was an opportunity to change directions and we were ready. The Gulf beaches, warmer weather and grandkids nearby made us question why we were staying in the old place. Once we started down that path, we were on our way, we just didn’t know it yet.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 AM

905 posts, read 669,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Both wife and I grew up there. All our family is there. We know life up there pretty well. The north woods is the bonus, forests, lakes rivers and wild life. Beautiful country.

We'll just need some new clothes to adapt, long johns, parka, sorel boot, wool hats and double layer gloves/mittens. And some new tools. Snow blower, snow shovels, ice chopper, lots of salt,
Don't forget a Stormy Kromer. My son and his family presented one to my husband this Sunday on his 64th birthday. We are in central Wisconsin, a few years from retirement but we will stay put.
May 1st and some of the northwoods had snow showers this morning.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,667,255 times
I wouldn't want to retire to one place. We have two primary residences - one for ski season and one for the rest of the year. I'm thinking of adding a third.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,194,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I admit I never understood why the high percentage of people that up and move to an extreme deviation from where they worked or lived most of their life are then shocked they don’t like it. It’s perfectly understandable (to me) to hate having to live long winters, and wanting a nicer climate (or brutal heat and want a more temperate one), but to move from say Michigan to Az has got to be a shock on so many fronts, and not just weather. People and attitudes are often radically different.
All you said is spot on. I wanted a warmer climate. FL summers haven't bothered me but FL politics can drive one insane. I'm originally from a northern liberal state. Fortunately there are a few others like me and we've found each other.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,926,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

I retired to the same place where I worked and lived for the 20 years previous to my retirement.

I moved from NYC to Phoenix when I was 26. I'm 72 now and firmly planted like a desert cactus.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 AM

6,780 posts, read 5,501,234 times
OH, we KNOW we want out of winter's bitter cold and snow loads.

SO a warmer climate is wherewe are looking to go, no doubt.

DOubt once both fathers die, that we will snowbird, the cost of doing so is higher than the cost of using a little A/c in the summer heat of a warmer locale.

WE will stay at least until one father passes, then the other can either stay here, or move during the winter to us. WHne both are gone, we will most likely sell out up here and permanently move south.

Nope, no doubt about it.

we have researched heavily 3 potential locales for retirement, and will, once on fahter passes, go and stay in each locale for a while to see if it really matches our desires.

Only time will tell.

An RV is in our future, an RV park is in our future, and we will be set home wise while we visit and determine which palce is "right".

The most "north" we would go back to, would NOT be NY again, but maybe the carolinas, tennesse, oklahoma line across the country. Giving us milder winters, but not such extreme heat come summer. above that is out for us, to far north again.

just can't wait for it to happen.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 AM

5,252 posts, read 3,617,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I can't imagine trying to live in an RV in Northern Wisconsin in the winter.

Yikes that sounds cold.
I spent years living in WI & came to learn that there were really only 2 seasons: winter & road repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement